Jack Monroe #140 This is not what Linda would have wanted

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
anyone watching Liverpool vs Man Utd on BBC 1? MR set up one goal and just scored another!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 27
Also @CabalofBolorneaise you should absolutely casually message that person you know! It's always great to have another person to witch with 😂
it’ll be like when people get in touch with you on Facebook to try to sell forever living or juice plus, only you need to aggressively source Jack’s rental contract and move in snags list, as well as all rental payment dates, and if she got permission for the skips.

• Haha
Reactions: 25
Rabbits generally enjoy natural light too. What's her excuse for that one?
The lack of which can cause Vit D deficiency, osteoporosis and depression as it does in humans. Once again, duck off Jack. Do some proper research and take your responsibilities seriously you utter arsewipe.

• Sad
Reactions: 31
My current theory is that it’s all just twisted from tiny nuggets of truth into lies. So perhaps SB asked for more jam and they didn’t have any left because she’d not been to the shops or had forgotten it (I mean, we’ve all had to say no more milk on your cereal today because we forgot the milk!) but that tale is morphed into she couldn’t afford it.

She moved somewhere that had key meters and she had to budget more carefully for that, which turns into the gas co broke in and fitted them.

She took lightbulbs when she left a house, which turns into her second hand lightbulb sales story.

All twisted and changed as appropriate for the audience she wants to tell them too.
This makes perfect sense. My youngest daughter had her first child when she was 22 and so did I (hi Jack) and when her little boy stayed with me one time I had forgotten to buy jam. He banged on about it for ages, saying 'Nana couldn't find the jam'.
That's all that happened and it was a funny family story but making it into your life's opus is seriously twisted.

Oh, hi Jack is a word! Hijack 🙃 Is this where I should use an Oxford comma?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 44
Literally seems like she's profiting off the fact she made a really terrible and somewhat selfish decision in the past. People in poverty don't choose to be in that position, but everything she's said leads me to believe she chose that path.
It's been my long standing pet theory that when Jack told her parents she was pregnant she expected to be showered with money but instead got a bit of a tough love talk about responsibility and the changes she'd need to make to her life. Instead of just being a bit irritated at being patronised she intentionally made her situation worse as a big pass agg tantrum to get back at them. "Oh you said I'd be responsible for the child so I didn't think you would help-now look how you made us suffer". We also know from her own blog that she actually put off claiming benefits because of some stupid idea about setting a good example to a bleeping toddler with no concept of work, which makes her anger at the government even more bizarre. There is a lot to be furious with the Tories about in terms of cuts to benefits and attitudes towards people who claim benefits but I don't think they can be held responsible for some larping dimwit who has been repeatedly told they can claim choosing not to.

• Heart
Reactions: 104
it’ll be like when people get in touch with you on Facebook to try to sell forever living or juice plus, only you need to aggressively source Jack’s rental contract and move in snags list, as well as all rental payment dates, and if she got permission for the skips.
Hey Hun 💖
Just wanted to let you 👉 know about a great opportunity online 🌐🤔

This no good, 🙅‍♀️ conniving, 🐍tip jar rattling SCHEMER 💸💰🤑 is conning her fans 😱🙀

Join the coven 💪🧙 and help raise awareness of how she mistreats her pets 👯‍♀️🐰 and isn't actually vegan 🍄🥕🫑🌽

Also have you seen 👀 her cutlery drawer? 🍴☠😐

Join today!! You won't earn anything but you'll lose so much of your free time grunking x

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 93
A hutch ffs 🙁 trust jack to use an outdated cruel form of housing that limits an animal the ability to stand up or stretch out to it's full height/length. Poor creature can't exhibit natural behaviours in a hutch either like digging or nesting. Just duck off Jack once and for all please.
I've been hoping that you would join in, I tried to tag you into the rabbit saga but kept searching for People Have To Know. Dopey southerner here!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 29
Food bank chat. I think it’s better to give meal type things than spices/ herbs, but you could add them as an extra. Chickpeas and coconut milk are either staples or baffling- I think they are both good donation items as they are central to various Middle Eastern/ Thai/ vegan dishes. None of my kids friends would eat hummus or Thai curry when we lived in the UK though, I think it’s unfair to expect stressed and hungry people to suddenly start rinsing beans to make disappointing burgers etc, nobody should be cook shamed. My mum was a terrible cook growing up (1980s stew/ microwave magic) she wouldn’t know what to do with chickpeas or coconut milk if she visited a food bank, but could crack on indefinitely with pasta, packet sauces and the odd tin of tuna.
There's also the fact that a lot of people might have disabilities and mental illnesses that limit their ability to cook, so the easier the better in terms of food bank recipes!

• Heart
Reactions: 25
Here’s the thing that grates my carrot a bit about food donation, food banks, food parcels, hampers, meals for the NHS.
I find it a bit paternalistic and maybe Victorian?
Of course there has to be some nutrition provided and nutritional standards, but overall I feel there is an attitude of “I know best what you need/should have” and it is quite “othering“.
The nice side of this is when people think they will contribute something they might like themselves but the bad side is the idea that you should get what you need and is best for you according to someone you have never met and who has no idea about your circumstances. And the coconut milk comment underlines this. It goes right through to “well they can’t cook, give them pot noodles” or “what if they don’t have a tin opener” like, the food bank will tell you what they need just see what they would want? They know their communities and as someone said there is a basic standard parcel with “extras” added so you can ask for bastard coconut milk on top of the tinned tomatoes.
I just get really fed up of “what if they’re just having hard times so can cook (middle class obvs) vs what if they can’t really cook (working class, spend it all on fags and frozen pizza obvs)

• Heart
Reactions: 50
Here's the thing about her parents not knowing she was poor.

I don't have the exact receipts to hand, but this should be pretty accurate: she started her blog in spring 2012. Within two months, she was boasting about having 16.000 hits and getting compliments from strangers in the supermarket.

In May 2012 she posted her first I'M SO POOR I HAVE NOTHING LEFT TO SELL post. July 2012: Hunger Hurts. August 2012: the Open House sale, which was covered by the local press.

Winter 2012: she's living on a tenner a week and "reluctantly" sells her story about Sad Poor Christmas to a national newspaper.

And throughout all of this - viral blog posts, local press, national press - her parents never realised?

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 86
to be fair, rabbits are solitary, so being on its own wouldn't bother it much.
Not true I'm afraid. They are social prey species who live in large groups in the wild. They NEED companionship and a rabbit who lives alone and fawns over the human or even the predatory cat is a desperately lonely animal that craves companionship. Jack is being cruel.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 49

I don't have the exact receipts to hand, but this should be pretty accurate: she started her blog in spring 2012. Within two months, she was boasting about having 16.000 hits and getting compliments from strangers in the supermarket.

In May 2012 she posted her first I'M SO POOR I HAVE NOTHING LEFT TO SELL post. July 2012: Hunger Hurts. August 2012: the Open House sale, which was covered by the local press.

Winter 2012: she's living on a tenner a week and "reluctantly" sells her story about Sad Poor Christmas to a national newspaper.

And throughout all of this - viral blog posts, local press, national press - her parents never realised?
All this. And the sad Christmas was 2011, whenever she actually published it, as she blogged about going to her parents for Xmas 2012.

Reactions: 24
Just catching up but Imagine if this was one of the viggle's, their "origin story" to use jack parlance 😂

Ok now I'm sure the rabbit is no longer with Jack. We'd be inundated with cute rabbit pics if they were, based on how she never stops spewing cooper photos from every social media orifice. (Or are bunny pics significantly worse for engagement?)

Also @CabalofBolorneaise you should absolutely casually message that person you know! It's always great to have another person to witch with 😂
I’ve just liked her comment, hoping she might message me now 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 20

I once considered doing a blog back in the day, but I think you had to pay for the page hosting?

Reactions: 12
And if she was alone in that choice, it wouldn't matter. But what she did was subject her child to hunger and cold (if you believe her story) and that is not OK. In fact it is despicable.
This is what irritated me so much about her at the time I found her on the long since deleted Facebook account. People with experience of the benefits system advised her again, and again, not to get a part time job/ be a self employed crafter, because it complicated claiming. I couldn't understand why she wouldn't listen as she had a child who she said was cold and hungry.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 46
I caved and I sent a message to Linda McCartney's social media team (privately) regarding the disastrous collaboration but I kept it very nice. Their response included "We see Veganuary as an opportunity to introduce meat eaters to vegan dishes so we're working with someone who's a meat reducer" even though in my original message I made it very clear that Jack wasn't a meat reducer at all or has any interest in the provenance of food.
I just do not get why they have decided to handle this situation in this way. I realise the money has changed hands but there is still plenty of scope for an apology.
I got exactly the same reply, so a standard message then.

• Sad
Reactions: 19
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.