Jack Monroe #138 Jack Monroe MBE

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Don’t worry I am so fascinated by that rug I have to keep going back and studying it.

Where did it come from? Why? When does it stop?

I wonder if it could be handmade from a passed loved ones clothing. A labour of love with sentimental value. Well in my head that’s how I’m justifying it’s existence. Of course if that were the case Jack would have slipped it in to conversation before now.

So many questions. I’m gonna have to go back for another look 👀
They sell rag rugs quite often in hippy shops (or fancy 'ethnic' boutiques like certain people enjoy...)

I like moderately novel mugs, it makes life easier when you have to make different cuppas for people. No point in getting to attached to them unfortunately, as I'm stupidly clumsy and break them on the regular (still use a plastic cup for water 😂) Those ones are all brand new and totally impractical to drink from, and a bugger to clean properly as the insides tend to have lots of little nooks and crannies.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 30
I honestly think she's minted, either that or she's in a massive amount of debt.

I fail to see how a single person can afford to rent a bungalow that size in the South East as well as buy the John Lewis curtains (don't believe they were gifted), all the sideboards, those fancy anthropologie handles, the burberry scarf (magic puddle is a joke) etc. Why/how do squiggles fall for it?

I have a very modest income now after a brief period of unemployment, luckily my outgoings are relatively low (live in a cheap area in the North but I'm originally from an area down South quite close to Monroe so I know how expensive it is) and there's no way I could afford to buy any of the things she has yet somehow when I read her tweets I'm made to feel like she's financially worse off than I am. The way Jack goes on, she acts like she's on minimum wage/less?!
Yeah, that's what irks me most. That in her writing and posting about poverty she includes herself, saying things in that Guardian piece like 'They need our voices include in the poverty debate'.

You are not poor! You were in a pickle for a brief period of time (when you let your pride get the better of you)!

She's doing the exact thing she accuses other of, speaking for and over people. But poverty cosplay is her business model eh

(I know this is pointed out on every page in every thread, but I really would not care about all the expensive things she buys if she wasn't such a grifting liar)

• Heart
Reactions: 49
Yip that was me. Now let's talk about our nailbrush collections.
We just own the one, but my mum has had to explain to four different people (including two teachers) what one was when they saw it in the school kitchen. Maybe just no one has ever explained it to Jack before 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 18
she just loves buying crap, doesn't she? the squigs will just see it all as, "well, she works so hard for the poors, she deserves a treat"

but bleeping rubber eggs? the rag rug that looks like my teenage bedroom floor after i've pulled everything out and wailed "i've got nothing to wear!"? ew.

and does she think the no butter thing's funny or something? "mine's empty 😂😂" i mean, that reads like she thinks she's getting in on our jokes, but jack love, it was vaguely amusing for a bit, but the continual messages of "i can't afford butter, gimme money" are not funny at all

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 53
I'm with you 100%. While I love having a good look around Liberty (pre-pandemic times, how I yearn for thee) and love eccentric homeware, it has to be styled nicely and with some kind of vision. If not it just looks a bit random? Pandora Sykes' home (https://www.houseandgarden.co.uk/gallery/pandora-sykes-london-house) is beautiful. I think that's what Jack wishes her crappy bungalow looked like :unsure:
Yep! And when she said she saw the lettuce crockery in a charity shop I instantly thought bleeping bollocks it’d have been in Liberty where it’s had a display of some sort for the last millennia?!

That rug tho 😷😷😷 environmental health need to go round and condemn it

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 44
Funny mugs will always get good reactions, see the Blackpool siblings form Goggglebox. I don't mind her going on about it too much, but it's all a bit 'Have you seen how quirky I am?'. Or better, it's not the mugs that are childish, but the way she goes on and on about it. I guess it makes a change orm 'show me your foofles'. (also, as mentioned before, duck her for giving SB hot chocolate as a reward for accomodating her moods. Why not be nice to your boy just because he's your child? I know it would mean not centering yourself in everything, so perhaps a hard thing to do).

We have an assortment of ones I like and have collected throughout my like from trips and museum gift shops. Though I prefer them to be bone china, white on the inside (for properly estimating tea stength), and nice to hold. No weird handles and spikey things other nonsense. Drinking from an uncomfortable container is not outweighed by the novelty factor. (Did anyone ask for my opinion on mugs? No, but you're getting it anyway)

First gift I got from my partner (before we'd said 'I love you' to each other) was this one a few years ago and it's 'my' daily tea mug and I absolutely love it. I don't like it when he uses it, haha.

gemma-m-007-i-hate-you-the-least-mug_1_720x.jpg

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 65
Mismatched doot knobs, which also don't match the doors they are on, are upsetting me way more than they should.

Also, I have got a second part time job now, so for the first time in years I will have some spare money. I was thinking of buying myself a small, cheap second hand car and treating the kids to some days out but now poverty campaigner Jack has shown me the error of my ways I am off to buy a sentient mirror, a platypus mug and an aardvark doorstop. The kids will be thrilled.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 81
Yep! And when she said she saw the lettuce crockery in a charity shop I instantly thought bleeping bollocks it’d have been in Liberty where it’s had a display of some sort for the last millennia?!

That rug tho 😷😷😷 environmental health need to go round and condemn it
There’s probably a family of brambly mice living in it! And if Cooper’s anything like my cat a bunch of dead mice too

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 31
I honestly think she's minted, either that or she's in a massive amount of debt.

I fail to see how a single person can afford to rent a bungalow that size in the South East as well as buy the John Lewis curtains (don't believe they were gifted), all the sideboards, those fancy anthropologie handles, the burberry scarf (magic puddle is a joke) etc. Why/how do squiggles fall for it?

I have a very modest income now after a brief period of unemployment, luckily my outgoings are relatively low (live in a cheap area in the North but I'm originally from an area down South quite close to Monroe so I know how expensive it is) and there's no way I could afford to buy any of the things she has yet somehow when I read her tweets I'm made to feel like she's financially worse off than I am. The way Jack goes on, she acts like she's on minimum wage/less?!
I really think that her initial money woes were due to going mad with credit cards. She is the kind of person who goes nuts every payday then is asking you to spot them a drink three days later.

She's also a hoarder with the nastiest collection of utter "I'm wacky" tat and then totally basic middle class aspirational furniture. I'm gutted we didn't see Zoe Williams' Zoom tour of the crappy bungalow. I doubt there's an empty square metre of floorspace anywhere (the rug is NOT empty floorspace).

ETA: a squiggle has asked where she got the llama. Was it:

a) GIFTED
b) brought home by Cooper
c) found in the rug
d) yes ok it was John Lewis but it was on sale and anyway she had a GIFTED John Lewis voucher to use up

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 60
I see as very little different to various cheffy types dismissing the lived experience and cultural practices of home cooks and proffering 'my take' on things as though they're the arbiters of what is 'real' and 'authentic'. There are thousands and thousands of years of vegetarian and vegan practices worldwide and now it's become a lucrative target market, here come the white knights charging over the horizon to make all those wonderful meals socially acceptable to the white middle classes. Same happened with music, same happens with fashion and art. Yes, it's perfectly possible to have meat and animal free meals as an omnivore and to be able to make good meals and teach people what you've found tastes great - but a half arsed slopping of goop that completely destroys the carefully bright and fresh colours of the rest of their feed just isn't doing that. If I were looking for new ideas of something to cook that was vegetarian/vegan/meat free/plantbased, I'd be looking at people who know how to cook, who make things look attractive, frequently people who actually eat the food they are flogging recipes for - and weren't joyless, soul sucking dementors dialling it in from a fancy home by the seaside in between ADs, TV appearances and Twitter spats.

It would also be nice to see more than a couple of non white faces on the LMcC feed - I'm sick of the same faces/hands/privilege showing up on cooking sites.
Completely agree with this. Vegetarianism and veagnism are practiced in many South Asian communities for religious reasons. It would have been great if they could have picked a chef or even an amateur but good home cook, who could have demonstrated vegan meals that they actually cooked and ate themselves regularly. From a cynical PR perspective this would 'tick the boxes' of increasing diversity and having someone genuine to front their campaign. (I realise the BLM and wider campaigns to increase diversity need structural changes and not just ticking boxes/ tokenism, but sometimes from a PR and marketing perspective this is often what it boils down to).

Reactions: 36
I hope it's very much like insta mum who got outed for racism. No not clemmie different one. People contacted every ad sponsor and aff link saying how they were unhappy, and just like that she doesnt get any jobs now. So it does work eventually. Theres also a worry that the begging would get worse I mean she already cant pay her rent on time
So no butter too poor 😔 but, marshmallows and cream 🤦‍♀️

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 35
I’m averaging 3-4 hours sleep a night lately and last night my subconscious had the gall to include that bleeping rug in my dream as a further disturbance. It was growing across the floor and up the walls of my flat like a colony of raggy fungus 😭

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 51
The rug is stressing me out a bit. You wouldn't be able to hoover it as the rags would wrap around the brush and break it. It's too big to take outside and beat. You couldn't sweep it. You couldn't scrub it. It's too big for the washing machine. How the hell do you clean it?!

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 50
The rug is stressing me out a bit. You wouldn't be able to hoover it as the rags would wrap around the brush and break it. It's too big to take outside and beat. You couldn't sweep it. You couldn't scrub it. It's too big for the washing machine. How the hell do you clean it?!
No wonder she got a SEVERE gash from stepping in broken glass. That rug would hide shards of the stuff.

• Haha
Reactions: 31
Completely agree with this. Vegetarianism and veagnism are practiced in many South Asian communities for religious reasons. It would have been great if they could have picked a chef or even an amateur but good home cook, who could have demonstrated vegan meals that they actually cooked and ate themselves regularly. From a cynical PR perspective this would 'tick the boxes' of increasing diversity and having someone genuine to front their campaign. (I realise the BLM and wider campaigns to increase diversity need structural changes and not just ticking boxes/ tokenism, but sometimes from a PR and marketing perspective this is often what it boils down to).
Yes, I was thinking this too. Would be great to see a vegan of colour making authentic food from their culture. Or a bodybuilder vegan showing how to make high protein vegan meals. Just something different to the stereotypical white slim middle class vegans we always see for these collabs...

• Heart
Reactions: 44
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.