Jack Monroe #137 NarcLife by Bootstrap Crook

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just saw that Mom is trending and looked to see why: her recipe of the day is Bitter Orange Tart. Jack hasn’t noticed yet because she’s still in bed. Admittedly it is a funny little dig at Trump, but the fawning reaction of the Twitter crew (incl. Caitlin Moran 🤢) is just another addition to the floofbot brigade for me. It’s in exactly the same vein as all the dickheads who thought the queen was being snide by wearing a million pound brooch which could possibly be construed as a European flag or some bollocks. A world in which Jack Monroe isn’t outed as a grifting bellend and posh people’s unspoken snark is labelled a form of activism is a world I don’t want to inhabit, tbh.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 61
The “greens” on the sausage abomination do not look like spinach, greens or kale...looks like lettuce

• Haha
Reactions: 18

Not wholly relevant as obviously Jack is white & not asking for reparations, but find it interesting that both stories co exist in the same social media universe? There’s been lots of chat on these threads that touches on these themes too - namely paid up influencer versus activist and individual benefits versus benefitting a bigger cause? Like how uncomfortable it is to see one individual profiting from a cause whether it’s the Slum Flower and reparations or Jack and her Patreon which is not a paid for service it’s clearly a way for the middle classes to expunge some guilt or out virtue signal mates at dinner parties?

Nothing will ever get written about Jack but hopefully it’ll make audiences consider who benefits from their outrage at the end of the day 🤷🏻‍♀️

ETA - this’ll be my last @ to our “friends” at the Scotsman but this could be an interesting time to bring it up off the back of TSF if you ever intend to write instead of just sending coded messages 🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️

• Heart
Reactions: 40
I know the sausage curry has been discussed a lot but has reared its head again.
I have actually made a curry-esque dish with LMc sausages, it was based on a Meera Sodha recipe recalling the wasteland of 1970s Lincolnshire cooking that her family moved into. Don't @ me but nothing has changed much.
It looked not dissimilar to Jack's creation.

For Jack's...I just don't understand why its called 'butter chicken' inspired and then put sausages in it when Linda makes a pulled chicken-style product. After seeing it I crawled back into the comforting arms of Ranveer Brar's recipes (which take extensive veganising but I like a challenge). I am really having to sit on my hands and not wade into the Linda FB page to add my complete horror at this. Veganuary should be fun exploration of new and rediscovered foods, not sensory torture

ETA carrot.

• Heart
Reactions: 32
Just saw that Mom is trending and looked to see why: her recipe of the day is Bitter Orange Tart. Jack hasn’t noticed yet because she’s still in bed. Admittedly it is a funny little dig at Trump, but the fawning reaction of the Twitter crew (incl. Caitlin Moran 🤢) is just another addition to the floofbot brigade for me. It’s in exactly the same vein as all the dickheads who thought the queen was being snide by wearing a million pound brooch which could possibly be construed as a European flag or some bollocks. A world in which Jack Monroe isn’t outed as a grifting bellend and posh people’s unspoken snark is labelled a form of activism is a world I don’t want to inhabit, tbh.
Thank you again. People who think the Queen's hats talk to them are the worst. Anyone claiming to be on the left who has convinced themselves that the Queen shares their politics, might want to spend some time reflecting on their beliefs. And yes the luvvies massively overreacting to each others HILARIOUS bantz is the worst. #BanTheBlueTicks

• Heart
Reactions: 41
I want to compare Jack to Meera Sodha for a minute based on comments about the Linda Mc debacle. She isn't vegan or vegetarian, but she writes a vegan column in the Guardian and has written a couple of highly acclaimed books including East which I've been cooking my way through with fantastic results. Her insta is a delight; she's got a paid partnership with Ocado doing a vegan recipe which has over 39,600 views. I don't think I've ever seen anyone pick her apart or suggest to the Guardian or Ocado that they don't use her because she's not vegan (not saying they haven't) or complain about her. That's because she remains charming, professional, her recipes are delicious and they work and she's never published polemics saying that she's going vegan and that meat is full of violence. Her family were Ugandan Indians so I doubt she had an especially charmed early life. Anyway I highly recommend her body of work.

• Heart
Reactions: 53
I know the sausage curry has been discussed a lot but has reared its head again.
I have actually made a curry-esque dish with LMc sausages, it was based on a Meera Sodha recipe recalling the wasteland of 1970s Lincolnshire cooking that her family moved into. Don't @ me but nothing has changed much.
It looked not dissimilar to Jack's creation.

For Jack's...I just don't understand why its called 'butter chicken' inspired and then put sausages in it when Linda makes a pulled chicken-style product. After seeing it I crawled back into the comforting arms of Ranveer Brar's recipes (which take extensive veganising but I like a challenge). I am really having to sit on my hands and not wade into the Linda FB page to add my complete horror at this. Veganuary should be fun exploration of new and rediscovered foods, not sensory torture

ETA carrot.
The other recipe pics on the Linda McC Insta look really nice (and I say this as a meat eater!). What a shame, Jack's food is the kind of tit that vegan-haters think vegans eat.

• Heart
Reactions: 33
Caitlin Moran is another one who shouts so much about things eg that she is a FEMINIST and was POOR that people accept it without question.
Just looked at the Linda McCartney IG. Oh dear 🤭 Seriously why do companies ever join forces with Jack? When has she ever ever given them their monies worth? She is a seriously lazy and entitled article. Takes the money and then brings up an ailment when questioned about why she has done bugger all. Why she has never been sued for breach of contract is baffling.

• Heart
Reactions: 47
I want to compare Jack to Meera Sodha for a minute based on comments about the Linda Mc debacle. She isn't vegan or vegetarian, but she writes a vegan column in the Guardian and has written a couple of highly acclaimed books including East which I've been cooking my way through with fantastic results. Her insta is a delight; she's got a paid partnership with Ocado doing a vegan recipe which has over 39,600 views. I don't think I've ever seen anyone pick her apart or suggest to the Guardian or Ocado that they don't use her because she's not vegan (not saying they haven't) or complain about her. That's because she remains charming, professional, her recipes are delicious and they work and she's never published polemics saying that she's going vegan and that meat is full of violence. Her family were Ugandan Indians so I doubt she had an especially charmed early life. Anyway I highly recommend her body of work.
I ought to have expanded more on the Sodha recipe - the fault of it I feel was mine...Richmond vegan sausages weren't available when I cooked it but I understand completely that they would have been a better sub given the recipe was designed for actual meat sausages for flavour and fats etc. Sodha's clearly has history all bundled up into it whereas Jack's is just a lazy buggery of ingredients without thought, and I fell somewhere between the two - a veggie sausage would not be my first substitute product I would ever pick for a dish inspired by Indian or adjacent cuisines, so I don't understand why Jack did.

I have East on my to-buy list because I have the same impression of Sodha as you re: professionalism.

Reactions: 25
I know this was about 5 threads ago, but I still can't get over the Mary Poppins dress up thing. I'm sure we've all had moments when we've done embarrassing things to try and reach out to an ex after a breakup/ show them what they're missing type thing, like posting thot shots, cryptic social media statuses, going to places where we might bump into them or their friends etc. (Hopefully not just me)!!! But dressing up as your exe's 'first crush' Mary Poppins on nearly the year anniversary of when you went to see it at the theatre together is just so obvious it is cringeworthy! And this is from someone who is in their early 30s. Not to mention the excuse of doing it for SB which is, yet again, something which could be used by mean kids to take the piss out of him.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 71
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.