Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

TurnedUpInTipp

VIP Member
Is that so? This is where we get problems with the broad term "Traveller" and "travelling community" 😕. It would make sense, I've never heard another gypsy refer to their caravan as a "van" before, it isn't a term we use. Vans are things Jack got taken to school in 😂.
Honestly, I just assumed.
The Travellers I know are very private people.

Reactions: 17

Toffee finger

VIP Member
Satay sauce is the best, I love it so much. I make it Indonesian-style with ketjap manis and vary the rest (sometimes I make it with coconut milk, other times I leave it out sometimes with garlic, sometimes with onion etc. There's so many varieties).

I think Jack tries to emulate it sometimes by popping peanutbutter into her weird noodle creations, but she never seems to add any other ingredients like Ketjap to make it taste good/create depth.

She had a green bean /peanut recipe (not sure what the rest of the ingredients were) that tasted of nothing when I tried it. Probably because she doesn't know how/when swapping things is fine and what ingredients are actually essential for the basics of a dish.

(ETA People, get yourself some ketjap manis for the next time you want to add something to your noodles)
Oh I love ketjap manis. We had it in one of our Hello Fresh meals and I bought a bottle the next day 😋
I haven’t used it with my peanut butter noodles yet though so thanks for the tip!

• Heart

ClarenceBeakes

Was listening to James O Brien today and he said our Jack is on his podcast 'Disclosure' this week, was kinda funny as he led up to that by talking about faux poor people that aren't really poor as they could just call up their dad for a sub if they got stuck then he said " unlike Jack Monroe who will be on the podcast this week " had to laugh
Jobbie and our Jackie. Wow, that's ne not to miss....

• Haha

Tabitha D

VIP Member
So I read Roadside’s thread. She says Charwells knew it was her hamper, her school etc early last week. But have been slating her behind her back. Not interested in change/feeding kids. At the end she reposts the Jack tweet with the private school letter.
She’s a bit short on specifics. Says Charlie’s been doing stuff in vague terms - but doesn’t specify so there’s no way for her readers to judge what’s gone on. It’s frustrating.

Fruitjack

VIP Member
I ought to have expanded more on the Sodha recipe - the fault of it I feel was mine...Richmond vegan sausages weren't available when I cooked it but I understand completely that they would have been a better sub given the recipe was designed for actual meat sausages for flavour and fats etc. Sodha's clearly has history all bundled up into it whereas Jack's is just a lazy buggery of ingredients without thought, and I fell somewhere between the two - a veggie sausage would not be my first substitute product I would ever pick for a dish inspired by Indian or adjacent cuisines, so I don't understand why Jack did.

I have East on my to-buy list because I have the same impression of Sodha as you re: professionalism.
I hadn't even seen your post when I typed it so it wasn't a dig!

Tonnes of the East ones are in her columns online. I've made absolutely loads from it or the ones online that aren't in the book. I really recommend her.

• Heart
Just say out loud what caused such anger last night because at this point it seems like she’s talking to Twitter and everyone else has moved on.
It’s... Jack Monroe’s account

on a serious note I hope she gets the answers she needs and is able to feed her kids properly, that box was really unfair

• Haha

girolle

Look at us all, 🔺ourselves with our love of Hendo's! 😂

I am both shocked and saddened though that someone reacted to your post with the gipping emoji 🤢
I must admit that I am not actually from Sheffield, although I did live there for a bit (🔺). Alas, it has left me with an undying love for Hendos!

Reactions: 16