Jack Monroe #135 No measurable outcomes

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Holy tit.

Recap: she left the fire service in Nov 2011, having moved home a month before. This entry is after Hunger Hurts, after the Open House Sale, in the grip of full poverty:

View attachment 387205

Hardship is affording 725£ a month and not even having a garden. 😭😭😭

(No parking? Car truthers, have at it!)

Here's something frustrating. The initial entry in this series was deleted early - as in, before the rest of the blog was deleted - and is not archived. But the whole conceit of the very cheap recipes started out as her doing the Living Below The Line Challenge, which some of you may remember. It was quite a big thing at the time, to live on a pound a day. Apparently she set out to do it for 28 days instead of 5. In another recipe, a month earlier, she made a cake with chopped caramelised plums, brandy-soaked sultanas and chopped hazelnuts with orange zest, and a Guinness glaze.

So yeah. Poverty tourism, defined.

View attachment 387210

View attachment 387211

And finally...she always did hate That Man 🤍

View attachment 387213
And obsessed with lard even then. I've never made an omlette with lard, even when I was as poor as her

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 28
Oh yeah I got this grift all wrong! I’m supposed to say I can’t afford it then wait expectantly for the cha-Ching to roll in. Also, it’s my parents fault and the government, I am exhausted etc send sheepos.
As a self-confessed and proven insomniac, you are fully eligable (*runs finger through requirement list*) for grifting, actually you score highly because it makes you concerned and passionate about a cause. Our cause. Zoe W. will call you shortly, apply a bit of make-up to strengthen your case, (comma!) but not too much.

• Haha
Reactions: 25
Here is an archive of the Guardian article in which Jack uses the word feral to describe some of her foster siblings, in case they decide to edit it.
The nice blouse bit strays into Victoria wood territory doesn't it?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 23
I think she’s slowly losing a lot. She definitely gets less blue tick acknowledgment, she’s pulled out by the press for a few brief segments but nothing comes of it, and a lot of the formerly regular squiggles don’t seem to interact - or only when it’s something like the food boxes that gain some traction. The questioning around her for Lindafoods is much more than I remember veganuary getting too.

She may never explode, but I think a lot of her former devotees are seeing the light increasingly with each chaos and she’s slowly fading.
I agree with this. She’s flailing about in search of a direction but all she’s really interested is putting herself centre stage. So she will see this as a very successful week as she’s been in the telly and had an arse-licking interview in the Guardian, and so in her eyes she’s had lots of lovely ME ME ME ATTENTION.
The trouble is, none of this has actually achieved anything.
While she’s been howling and wailing into the void and spamming Twitter with factually-inaccurate tweets saying how ANGRY she is, and how THIS IS HER STORY GIMME A COMMISSION, and using racially dubious language in a tweet to Marcus himself, Marcus & Co have been quietly getting things done - arranging phone calls with decision-makers, talking to the people who can change things, putting pressure on.
It’s also increasingly looking like she is being sidelined by the serious people, because she has nothing valuable to contribute and just flaps about incoherently. (See previous paragraph).
When you actually look at what she has done in practical terms during the pandemic, there’s very little there. Has she set up or worked for a foundation or think-tank? Actively volunteered for an organisation that cooks or distributes food for those in need, turned up and got her hands dirty? All she ever mentions is Lockdown Larder (which amounted to a few tweets), and lots of “top secret - can’t talk about it” behind the scenes work with Henry Dimbleby, the Govt, Marcus, Tom Kerridge, etc. which obviously cannot be verified and is highly unlikely to have happened at all.
It’s also not doing anything for her cooking brand. She put paid to any serious TV work with her abysmally unprofessional performance on DKL. She’s also apparently developed a poor rep in the industry, which will make it more difficult to get gigs. And she has only a trickle of paid Insta type stuff which is small potatoes.
Personally I do think a lot more people are picking up on her inconsistencies and the money scandal side of things (the Kickstarter and poverty cosplay/tip-jar combo) and are backing off, even if they don’t call her out on Twitter. She may not get the comeuppance she deserves, but her career is going down the pan.

• Heart
Reactions: 53
I can't keep up with the grunkaing now that our lady has entered another prolific period of utter bleeping insanity.

Could somebody clue me in as to what she said to MR in patois or whatever?
This.

(screenshot from @Silver Linings)
34AD833D-A51C-4BD8-90A4-E0D23A8D8F22.jpeg

Attachments

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 32
For some reason I just hear "we had a house, it had a roof" to the tune of sk8er boy but I like sherrif fatman to let it take over my ear worm :)
Next thread title Jack Monroe: we lived in a house, it had a roof, can I make it any more obvious?

• Haha
Reactions: 50
I’m not sure KH was honest. I think she became a parody of honesty. And, like Jack, her opinions were tailored for whatever/whoever would pay. And that led to some pretty dark places.
I see KH as sometime who made the outragemachine her businessmodel (being a professional bleep paid her bills). With JM it's more rage than outrage, but similar for sure.

Reactions: 27
  • Haha
Reactions: 21
She exposes them to the public, as part of her story. Right or wrong, they'll be discussed as theyre a constant part of her act.
The dad does occasionally engage in performative bantz with Jack on FB - like that excruciating “Daily Mail shitrag” exchange around Xmas time. That was very much playing to the gallery, I thought. So I think that kind of thing is fair game.

Reactions: 41
It does read like a puff piece written by an agent.

Just my opinion of course!
I suspect that it was cranked out as quickly as possible. Zoe Williams has a (pointless) weekly column and does a lot of opinion etc too, so I suspect that this was a half-arsed dash for the deadline. That's what it reads like, anyway!

• Heart
Reactions: 35
The dad does occasionally engage in performative bantz with Jack on FB - like that excruciating “Daily Mail shitrag” exchange around Xmas time. That was very much playing to the gallery, I thought. So I think that kind of thing is fair game.
Yep, that came to mind. She didnt turn out this way without some influence from them and their parenting, afaic.

• Heart
Reactions: 25
If he was born in 2000, he'd be 21 this year. He'd have to have been born in 2010.

(I know, I also hate the passage of time).
It was a typo; I did change it but it didn't save and I was out of the edit period when I noticed 🤬

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
Controversial opinion 🔺️ but this is why I quite liked Katie Hopkins. I didn't agree with everything she said or the views she held but at least she wasn't afraid to say what she was thinking*.

*appreciate some of it was only to cause controversy rather than necessarily what she believed, but on the whole I think she was just a 🔔🔚 and I respect that she wasn't afraid to hide the fact.

One of my very first posts on here was in the MOD thread when they were discussing how BAME women on the maternity ward would feel knowing what she'd said about Candice (and actually, much like Jack using her ailments to end an argument, I do believe CB sometimes "brings it back to race" when race has nothing to do with whatever is going on). And I thought.. if CH was/is a racist then I'd rather know about it than not? There could have been other midwives on the wards holding similar or worse views in private.. and at least with CH you'd know where you stood 🤷‍♀️

(I do not want to get into what or who is or isn't racist btw).

Jack is a bellend but I'd respect her more if she was honest, even if I disagreed with her.
Yes. I agree. That IS a controversial opinion.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 33
Her mums on FB sharing family job history again. Jack worked at the fire brigade 'since 2008/9'.. since? She isnt still doing that luv!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 33
I recall when KH deliberately put on 2 stone , for a magazine article or something, then showed how easily and quickly she could lose it, to prove that if you're a person of size, it's all your own silly, weak willed fault.

Not the worst thing she's ever done, but she was so smug about it. Quite repellent.

Jack's still a nob, tho!😀

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 37
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.