Jack Monroe #133 Neither a celebrity or a chef

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'll give her this, she is super loyal to Twitter. I'd have given up on it way before now. There is no winning situation.
Twitter is the only thing she's ever stuck with for more than a month. She should try to somehow turn that into her next "I've just done X and never felt better" Guardian article.

• Haha
Reactions: 30
Phew! I've finally caught up on this thread.

Her interaction with RM is, to me, simply odd. I would have a lot more respect for Jack if she sidelined herself and allowed for RM's story to be told by RM, as it should be. But, as we know, she cannot do that. I know it's been mentioned before (and I feel like I preface a lot of comments I make with that phrase haha) but the grift is oh so real. A lot of the middle class media sorts who LOVE to amplify Jack's profile and seem to auto direct anything relating to food poverty to her do so because, in my eyes, they're too lazy to genuinely engage with people who are living through that experience right now. They probably don't know anyone who is reliant on foodbanks or universal credit in their immediate social circles. It's easy to do your shopping in Sainsbury's/Waitrose/Ocado and see Jack's Slop™ and think 'that will do' for The Poors™.
A lot of proper posh middle class people appear to be genuinely terrified of the working classes. The lower middle classes are fine but whole swathes of them have started out working class or have family etc who still are so aren't so freaked out by people with less money. Jack is the perfect token pov for them as she's quite middle class so isn't going to make them too uncomfortable. Plus she backs up a lot of preconceived notions about "these people", "Jack is educating them about lentils so they don't eat frozen pizzas all the time" because the stupid saps haven't a clue why people eat junk food- it can be ignorance about food and nutrition but it can also be tiredness, lack of time, depression, laziness, reliability of taste (are you going to gamble your last quid on fruit that might be sour?), because it was on special and you're skint and sometimes because only some fat and carb laden beast of a tea is going to hit the spot. We're all guilty of living in bubbles -how much time do any of us in this country spend worrying about people who can't access clean water when we can just turn on a tap? But if you're in your bubble with a megadose of liberal guilt it must be comforting to think things don't really need to change THAT much, we'll just educate the poors and you won't need to pay a level of tax that might threaten your nice lifestyle. The harm Jack does is to the causes she tries to hijack and gullible and vulnerable squigs. She's no threat whatsoever to the Guardian set and that's just how they like their tokens.

• Heart
Reactions: 58
I didn't realise Roadside Mum was a Traveller at first (admittedly the name is a big clue) but duck, that makes this so much worse. Travellers are one of the most marginalised communities in the UK, and for Jack to go barrelling in there shouting "this is MY story!" is sick.

I get that the lack of FSM is an issue for many people from different backgrounds - but the Travelling community in particular is often stereotyped as uneducated, withdrawing kids from school, refusing to engage with the system etc. There's a deeper story here, about the system refusing to engage with people like Roadside Mum, and Jack - despite describing herself as both an author and a writer - cannot tell it.

PS a little trip down memory lane, those authentic working class summers with Aunt Helen before she became dusty...
View attachment 388512
Bloody incredible how she's made a memorial article about a dead relative all about herself and the time she spent at her house. There's one sentence about the poor lady in three paragraphs.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 37
Anyone know what time we're #thunderclalpping, I need to know when to stop #stayangry and I need to fit in #lockdownlarder for tea. Thankyouverymuchall ☺

• Haha
Reactions: 43
Only group we have left (and her biggest advocates) are the Lib Dem squiggles. I wonder what it will take to stop them blindly following their working class hero?
I'm hoping she'll enrage the K-pop stans. They seem pretty relentless when their dander is up.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 52
I didn't realise Roadside Mum was a Traveller at first (admittedly the name is a big clue) but duck, that makes this so much worse. Travellers are one of the most marginalised communities in the UK, and for Jack to go barrelling in there shouting "this is MY story!" is sick.

I get that the lack of FSM is an issue for many people from different backgrounds - but the Travelling community in particular is often stereotyped as uneducated, withdrawing kids from school, refusing to engage with the system etc. There's a deeper story here, about the system refusing to engage with people like Roadside Mum, and Jack - despite describing herself as both an author and a writer - cannot tell it.

PS a little trip down memory lane, those authentic working class summers with Aunt Helen before she became dusty...
View attachment 388512
Maybe mama fed the family on potato peelings and goose tit to afford that land rover. It's so unfair to pick on the working classes you know!

• Haha
Reactions: 29
Maybe mama fed the family on potato peelings and goose tit to afford that land rover. It's so unfair to pick on the working classes you know!
Cooked atop a plank of wood on the communal landing of a flat now deemed unfit for human habitation because Jacks nails have been in it it's too smol for peeps.

• Haha
Reactions: 24
Yeah I mean if I was announcing to all and sundry I'd been awake for over 40 hrs my family and friends would be worrying and dragging me straight to bed, why are her friends and family not doing this it's dangerous (if true) that's she surviving on no sleep no wonder shes manic.

Also the bounced rent story has gone from this months rent to it now being the last 6 months, who splashes out on trips to Edinburgh and chocolate bars for people they dont know if they cant afford rent?
It's like previous posters have said, it stink of money mismanagement.
A new day, a new grunka..but needing to add a general thought: she really does not seem to have friends who she engages with on a regular basis or at least nobody who is critical of her. She claimed a few days ago that the bullies were the reason why her planned marriage dissolved (changed it later to spending too much time together in lockdown 1) because she experienced a situation she could not explain to her friends...what was difficult to communicate here? I could have talked to my friends about such a thing. If it was the bullies' fault, it would be easy to communicate that.
My friends are the first ones to criticise me when I am talking bollocks... Ironically in lockdown 1 I was so frustrated with everything that I said to one friend that I feel like cutting my (thick) hair off completely because nobody gets to see my anyway now that I had no work...Friend reminded me in her very no nonsense way that it would be a bit tasteless as it would make me look like a cancer patient. And of course she was absolutely right. And having not long before that see another friend losing her hair to chemo I would not have done it anyway, I was ranting in a way I would only rant with a close friend, based on the trust that she knows I am not an idiot in general. Otherwise I would never ever be tempted to bark out levels of cringeworthy things on social media the way she does it.

And sometimes I think while we are supposed to be the bullies, we care more than most because she gets a chance to read what is off with her behaviour and she could change accordingly but she...shan't.

Btw: I never believed her hair falling out and then having to cut it. I had the impression it was auto-aggressive behaviour. Which would be a shame. The problem is that as soon as you are starting to be dishonest you not only lose credibility but you also miss out on people showing real empathy and ultimately getting treatment for the underlying causes of your issues. It puts up a huge barrier. The issues are there, just not in the original form of the x amount of ailments and conditions that have befallen her alone but that would be enough for 10 people.

• Heart
Reactions: 38
As a gypsy woman - I would find it very difficult to stay sat on my hands! 😬 (I would behave though, I'd miss it here too much)

Going back to the community being small though, wouldn't it be interesting if it turned out that I knew RM? 🤔😂
Yes, it is a small world, I wouldn't be surprised, you knowing RM.
And I love it here too 😂 ...so I'd best keep my trap shut 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 32
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.