Jack Monroe #131 Mary Sloppins

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I know it's against the Tattle rules but I'm thinking of sharing a heartbreaking picture I received with top campaigner Jack "Politically Difficult" Monroe. It's really upset me and I feel confident that Jack could do something about this outrage.

___220-2d82c7e62e8c9de4cf4a68435a635f4e.png

The vile slop sandwich above is what one poor little boy in Essex was forced to eat for his lunch. Serious questions need to be asked of the government who allow this to go on. Just imagine this was your lunch!

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 106
Marcus: OK, let's sit down and talk this through.

Chartwells: Right, well there seems to be a misunderstanding...

Jack: LOOK AT THIS PHOTO

Chartwells: If you'll just let us...

Jack: LOOK AT ANOTHER PHOTO

Chartwells: The issue is...

Jack: I HAVE 500 OF THESE PHOTOS

Chartwells: Right, but the problem is...

Jack: THERE'S NO NUTRITION IN LETTUCE!!! WHERE ARE THE SAUSAGES?!

Chartwells: If we can say...

Jack: YOU'RE MATES WITH DAVID CAMERON, ABSOLUTELY GET FUCKED

Results, ladies and gentlemen.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 104
Not £30 worth of food, no but the catering company is charging the school/government £30 for the 'hamper'. Obviously the company is going to make a profit otherwise what's the point. What is causing such outrage is the sheer amount of profit being made by the catering companies. Add the fact that they have furloughed most of their staff, they do seem to be raking it in during the pandemic unfortunately
Jeebus, they're still charging the £30 to the government though? That's a bit, well, crappy.

Reactions: 22
Jeebus, they're still charging the £30 to the government though? That's a bit, well, crappy.
Yes, I work in a school for one of these companies and have seen these hampers being made. £100 for 33 hampers, for 1 child for 1 week. They charged the school £495

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 51
Love the use of bootstrap... they're going for the jugular 👏 I wonder how small Scottish journalism circles are...
This particular journalist is not one I rate tbh, and I'm not sure they're particularly close with the previous Scottish journos mentioned in these threads.

• Wow
Reactions: 27
Ahh, OK, I see. So it obviously won't last that long for the recipients, because by the time they get it it will be defrosted?
Exactly right. Once defrosted it has the same shelf life of any bread. If anything, it goes stale quicker in my experience. (I work in a school kitchen)

• Heart
Reactions: 33
Oh look Jack. Marcus not only did not tell Chartwells to 'take his name out of their mouth' but he actually reached out to them.
Now it seems he's having a proper grown up conversation with them.
I would also like to point out ( as a Manchester United fan myself), he has a pretty important game in a couple of hours ( seriously if we win our game against Burnley tonight, we go to Anfield ahead of Liverpool on points- and if you know anything about the rivalry between United and Liverpool, then you know how big deal that is)

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 40
This particular journalist is not one I rate tbh, and I'm not sure they're particularly close with the previous Scottish journos mentioned in these threads.
Ah fair enough. I'm still pleased to see accounts that aren't outright hate accounts or anonymous Tattle affiliated accounts calling it out though.

• Heart
Reactions: 49
I know it's against the Tattle rules but I'm thinking of sharing a heartbreaking picture I received with top campaigner Jack "Politically Difficult" Monroe. It's really upset me and I feel confident that Jack could do something about this outrage.

View attachment 385251

The vile slop sandwich above is what one poor little boy in Essex was forced to eat for his lunch. Serious questions need to be asked of the government who allow this to go on. Just imagine this was your lunch!
Thanks for finding this. I wonder what the ingredients for five days worth of this sandwich would look like lined up on a table?

• Haha
Reactions: 32
I would also like to point out ( as a Manchester United fan myself), he has a pretty important game in a couple of hours ( seriously if we win our game against Burnley tonight, we go to Anfield ahead of Liverpool on points- and if you know anything about the rivalry between United and Liverpool, then you know how big deal that is)
Hey now, Jack also has a busy day ahead! She will be taking photos of her cat and making a curry, and she had planned to tweet about how Wagon Wheels used to be so much bigger, but she's had to cancel that.

• Haha
Reactions: 61
It's hilarious how much Marcus has already managed to get done today considering what else he has going on in....Jack probably hasn't even bothered getting out of pyjamas yet while she screeches and wails into the ether like the annoying little scrappy doo that she is

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 49
I’m currently listening to James O’Brien discuss this issue on LBC. I’ve heard no mention of Jack, although I’m half expecting her to phone in. Mind you, O’Brien is great mates with ‘That Man’, so maybe not. 😂

Jack’s behaviour on Twitter last night was utterly embarrassing to read. She really is desperately trying to force the narrative back to being all about her and how she is the only authentic ‘voice of the poor.’ It’s been quite heartening to not see or hear her being mentioned when various press outlets have been discussing this story this morning. And as for the cringe inducingly racist way she tried to use black American slang to speak to Marcus, jesus wept!

When will she realise that she is no longer relevant and that she cannot keep droning on about her short stint on benefits 7 or 8 years ago in an attempt to shoehorn her way into current social media campaigns?

• Heart
Reactions: 47
I’m currently listening to James O’Brien discuss this issue on LBC. I’ve heard no mention of Jack, although I’m half expecting her to phone in. Mind you, O’Brien is great mates with ‘That man’, so maybe not. 😂

Jack’s behaviour on Twitter last night was utterly embarrassing to read. She really is desperately trying to force the narrative back to being all about her and how she is the only authentic ‘voice of the poor’. It’s been quite heartening to not see or hear her being mentioned when various press outlets have been discussing this story this morning. And as for the cringe inducingly racist way she tried to use black American slang to speak to Marcus, jesus wept!

When will she realise that she is no longer relevant and that she cannot keep droning on about her short stint on benefits 7 or 8 years ago in an attempt to shoehorn her way into current social media campaigns.
Surely James O'Brien and Jack Monroe are best mates made in diehard centrist heaven

• Haha
Reactions: 32
Thanks for finding this. I wonder what the ingredients for five days worth of this sandwich would look like lined up on a table?
Imagine if someone posted her £20 shop and said that was all the food orovided for two adults and a child* for a WEEK

(A single mother, a mystery guest and small boy)

• Haha
Reactions: 43
Unless something new has come out, we don't actually know that they are charging the government £30 per child, per fortnight. £30 vouchers were available but the government have replaced these with the food boxes. The normal average weekly spend per child for school meals is £2.30, the government have added a further £3.50 per week during the pandemic which doesn't add up to £15 p/w. Is it really so unbelievable that a Tory government would try and do this on the cheap?

Reactions: 29
Also agaaaaaain I hate to burst your bubble Jack (not really you tit bag) but I also have tattoos and have a slight cockney accent. Being raised by an actual working class family and everything 😬

Didn't stop me from carving out a TV career. Nobody cares! What's next on the excuse list? This is fun!
I hate how she portrays herself like this. I'm a tattooed lesbian (some of them I did myself!) with a strong Northern accent and a third of a degree. The NHS has welcomed me with open arms and set me up for a career. It's not the bleeping 50s any more. I don't doubt she has suffered prejudice but I don't think that's why her career is going nowhere.

• Heart
Reactions: 69
Yikes. Jack, you are out-Jacking yourself today.

1. That message to Marcus Rashford. You've embarrassed yourself, sweetheart, and revealed a lot more about yourself and your attitude there than I think you realise. Who *do* you think you are? I can spin this, just, as you taking a defensive stance towards MR, but as a capable, calm and decent adult I should imagine he neither needs nor wants someone embarrassingly shouting on his behalf. As for the language use, oh my god, can you not hear yourself? It is patronising, it is racist (I'd call it a micro-aggression but it's worse than that) and it's appropriation like I've rarely seen. I'd suggest you have a word with yourself, but I don't suppose that would be very helpful. That was so bleeping out of order. You should apologise for 1. your disgusting privilege (I rarely invoke this) and 2. embarrassing him by association.

2. With regard to the school meals. No, those are not great lunchboxes. However, *screaming* on Twitter and thrashing around shouting about conspiracies and fat cats and making vaguely libellous statements does not help 'get people fed' (or whatever charming catchphrase you were trying to make happen yesterday). I don't for a second think there aren't failings happening that mean we've ended up here, but you don't tackle them by screaming abuse in people's faces. First off, we all function within the society we happen to be in right now, which is a capitalist one. Whether you like it or not that means the mechanisms we have for distributing food on a massive scale are capitalist mechanisms. Those are the ones you can leverage quickly and make move fast, because they have the weight, power and finance behind them. So, as per MR excellent example, we are going to have to work with what we've got.

That accepted, let's turn to motivation and what we've got. Yes, motivation of large businesses is to make money. I work for one in an adjacent industry to the one we're talking about here. I fundamentally do not believe that there are large numbers (or even small numbers) of 'fat cats' out there rubbing their hands like Mr Burns and contemplating the pleasure of taking a few pounds more profit for providing children with crappy looking apples and weird-ass everlasting bread. It's not happening. There is also as you rapidly work down the scale plenty of people who are just people with jobs doing their thing and probably going home to worry a bit about their finances too. They are not in this for the scamming children factor and I am sure are concerned about what they are providing and glad to be doing something worthwhile in this hard, hard time. Let's not tit all over them as we're getting all Twitter-outraged. So let's look at this carefully.

What is happening is a complex interplay of government funding, business models, supply chain, small scale distributors and possibly most importantly, time. Everything has had to happen very fast. This makes things hard, and can make the outcome less than ideal. I would imagine, once this all shakes out, the problems likely to be identified are a lack of clarity of what was being offered in the first place, a lack of ability to accurately forward plan (complacency and poor information likely causes here), a lack of consistency around standards and supply chain efficiency (around correct products correctly packaged). There will also be inefficiencies and inconsistencies, different in different areas that will need to be examined. It will be complex and it will probably not give a simple answer that fits a particular narrative.

What needs to happen now is consensus. Not people shaking with rage, getting their virtual spittle all up the face of one particular figurehead. As MR is doing, and demonstrating, there needs to be accountability, but also consensus, talking, communication and working out of the problems and the challenges. That will have to be done within the constraints of the system we have in place because there is no bleeping time to build a new system (get them fed, yadda, yadda).

What could a minorly famous cookbook writer do in these circumstances? Well they could provide a menu and ingredients list that would fulfil the dietary requirements of children. Would also be helpful to have them for people with special dietary needs. Though, who could have foretold that might be needed? Oh, Jack, you did, but you didn't do it. Cool, cool, Mary Poppins cos-play doesn't create itself. I get it. They could broker consensus, they could take what people need and translate it into bigger picture purchase ideas. You can support discussion and consensus and organisation without throwing around accusations like that Mickey Rourke in Iron Man II with his electrical whips. You can stop centring yourself and your anger and listen and work with people instead of confrontation that makes people instantly hostile and frightened. This doesn't generate as many Twitter likes from other middle-class poverty tourists, I grant you, but it might actually be helpful.

The awful thing, the really awful thing is that I don't think you have no impact, rather I feel like ultimately you have a detrimental impact on this process. Frankly, I wish I could send you to your room and tell you to let the grown ups get on with it. This last 24 hours have been so bleeping embarrassing. So bad. It's like listening to a teenager say something that you know is going to make them cringe inside-out when they are older and remember it, except you are 3-bleeping-2 years old. Stop it. Please. It's so bad.

• Heart
Reactions: 125
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.