Jack Monroe #127 No-spend year

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Is this like the time she said she had a recipe for hand sanitizer way back at the beginning of the pandemic but never came back with it?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 45
I have an unusual surname, 🔺 one that looks different to how it is pronounced. I don't like to think of it as difficult, I prefer unusual or different.

It made me the butt of many a joke in school, and I was certainly picked on for it. It sounds rude, and as a gay man, bullies at school slightly changed it to make it sound even worse. They did it to fit the bullying narrative. To this day people snigger when I say it. They soon get over it, especially when I stand there and just roll my eyes.

I have to spell my name for people, as it is not spelt the way it sounds. I can not blame people for not being able to spell a name they have never come across before, and it is better for me to tell them than for them to get it wrong. I don't think it is rude of them if they get it wrong and I haven't told them how to spell it.

What does piss me off is when I have taken the time to spell it out, they STILL get it wrong.

She chose to change her name once, there is nothing to stop her changing it back should she so wish. Her followers would still follow her. A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. A scammer by any other name would still be a scammer.
My first name Is unusual and can be spelled differently my mum chose the slightly different spelling, however if you sound it out phonetically you will have it, however everyone who first meets me always says or spells it wrong. It's amazing. I just correct them and the rest is history.

Reactions: 19
@SweetTransvestite I have been getting that bleeding advert before (and during) every YouTube video I've watched since the fateful night I searched for web hosting for Slopbot A MONTH AGO. It's either that one or one about kick-starting my artistic career. Vlad, babes, please stop.

I was browsing my Google news earlier (I swear I do not read the Daily Mail of my own volition) and was shown this article. Prepare for the industrial quantities of slop promised by this revolutionary technique. Bearing in mind Jack has seven slow cookers, she could at minimum double her slop production to fourteen dubious low-and-slow concoctions! RIP her postman.

patented double slop technique.jpg

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 35
I have an unusual surname, 🔺 one that looks different to how it is pronounced. I don't like to think of it as difficult, I prefer unusual or different.

It made me the butt of many a joke in school, and I was certainly picked on for it. It sounds rude, and as a gay man, bullies at school slightly changed it to make it sound even worse. They did it to fit the bullying narrative. To this day people snigger when I say it. They soon get over it, especially when I stand there and just roll my eyes.

I have to spell my name for people, as it is not spelt the way it sounds. I can not blame people for not being able to spell a name they have never come across before, and it is better for me to tell them than for them to get it wrong. I don't think it is rude of them if they get it wrong and I haven't told them how to spell it though.

What does piss me off is when I have taken the time to spell it out, they STILL get it wrong.

She chose to change her name once, there is nothing to stop her changing it back should she so wish. Her followers would still follow her. A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. A scammer by any other name would still be a scammer.
My great-grandparents once bought me a set of personalised colouring pencils for Christmas with my surname spelled badly wrong. That one left a mark.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 34
Rehabilitation? Why does she use such emotive language when there’s nothing wrong with her 🙄🙄.

Reactions: 21
Nancy Birtwhistle who won Bake Off a few years back has a book ‘Clean Green’ coming out this month.

She has been sharing her eco cleaning tips on IG for some time. I’m interested to see how Jack’s homemade cleaning potions and tips compare to Nancy’s.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 36
Spotted on Instagram. For FUCKS SAKE. So so tempted to reply.

View attachment 375055
Genuine question: is she a single mother and full-time child carer if she co-parents with SB's dad? I'm not a parent, so I don't fully understand the linguistics. My ex used to call himself a single dad and he co-parented with his kid's mum.

Reactions: 23
If she’s that snowed under with everything, why is she now making home brew Mr Muscle?

• Haha
Reactions: 55
I was browsing my Google news earlier (I swear I do not read the Daily Mail of my own volition) and was shown this article. Prepare for the industrial quantities of slop promised by this revolutionary technique. Bearing in mind Jack has seven slow cookers, she could at minimum double her slop production to fourteen dubious low-and-slow concoctions! RIP her postman.

View attachment 375067
Mmmmm, who doesn't want a meal that's had plastic leaching into it for hours?

• Heart
  • Sick
Reactions: 33
Genuine question: is she a single mother and full-time child carer if she co-parents with SB's dad? I'm not a parent, so I don't fully understand the linguistics. My ex used to call himself a single dad and he co-parented with his kid's mum.
She is a single mother and has full time childcare responsibilities when she needs to fulfil that victim narrative. The amount of time she spends on Twitter and generally bleeping around doing nowt of value would suggest that she has a lot of help from SB’s co-parent.

• Heart
Reactions: 28
My first name Is unusual and can be spelled differently my mum chose the slightly different spelling, however if you sound it out phonetically you will have it, however everyone who first meets me always says or spells it wrong. It's amazing. I just correct them and the rest is history.
Sounds a little like my first name! (It’s not Martha btw 😂) I kept my married surname after I got divorced and the amount of people who spell it and even pronounce it wrong astounds me. It’s two separate words joined together but people start adding extra letters and all sorts. Obviously it’s not as bad as Jacks birth name (and I’m not being snippy when I say that) I can understand she may have felt marginalised by it as a kid, but as people have said, she chose to change it for the reasons she’s already said in public, not because it’s difficult to spell. She’s just inserting herself into things that don’t concern her again 🙄

Reactions: 21
Eco warrior Jack grates my carrot, she can get in the bin (non- recyclable)
She’s getting all up in other people’s niche and like the long-Covid, they are people who know their stuff.They won’t care she made washing up liquid from bicarbonate and Castile soap if she’s pushing bollock eyelid sausages.

Edit to add- I have lived with these people. Nothing against them but they are hardcore. Forever turning the light off whilst I was on the loo (thought someone had left it on!) once put a can in the paper recycling by mistake and had it gifted back to my desk, someone had a “strong word” with me about leaving milk outside the fridge in winter (it’s cold outside and very time you open the fridge you waste electricity) to my shame, I went the opposite way. I took refuge in McD’s (well they would never find me in there, would they?)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 32
I don't think her experience isn't valid - having a really Russian surname, I can relate. However, it's the responding to the struggles of a woman of colour directly by tweet, which to me reads as she thinks they are equivalent - that I think is tone deaf and grating.
Exactly this. I, like her, am white, have a very standard first name (no, I'm not called Melissa), but a non-English surname with 'difficult ' spelling and pronunciation. Yes, I have to spell it out all the time, yes, I occasionally get comments, but honestly, I have no clue how that relates to a woman of colour growing up with a non-English name in the UK or the US. Just no relation.

I’m allergic to apples but I’ve got duck LOADS

y tho
I'm vegan and I have a freezer full fish.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 44
In comparison to say, Smith or Cooper (lol), Hadjicostas is ‘difficult’. It’s not ‘English’, she would have had to spell it out to some people, and she may have been picked on at school for having a Greek surname.

Yes, she changed it for perhaps questionable reasons, yes, she’s now retroactively regretting changing it now, and yes, she’s trying to insert herself into dialogue about BAME women and their names - all very shabby and very HER. But I would imagine for her, maybe it was difficult to have a Greek name at times, especially for someone who is at odds with who she really is.
Totally agree. There is a broader conversation to be had about the complexities of growing up with mixed heritage or backgrounds, and where it's appropriate to individuals, visually passing as white, of growing up in a home that is culturally different to the majority, or that is mixed, or that isn't discussed out loud, navigating different cultural signifiers and unwritten rules and feeling or actively being othered both in and out of the home. I'm sure she'd be able to make nuanced and authentic contributions to that kind of conversation.

But for the reasons you outlined, no doubt she'd revert to type and just jump in with her smol ickle size 3s or whatever it is and trample all over other people's lived experience.

Reactions: 15
Social media manager? What is she managing? She tweets her every brain fart only to delete it moments later.

Actually to be fair posting and deleting upwards of 70 tweets a day must be very time consuming. Why do it at all? I'd imagine finishing your book would be more important.

• Haha
Reactions: 40
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.