Jack Monroe #127 No-spend year

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This! If she has such PTSD (I’m not using the term lightly I just can’t think of how best to describe what she alludes to gothrough on a regular basis) perhaps she ought to seek professional help. She is “stuck” in place never moving on always defaulting back to her past, clutching at it like a security blanket.

Awful things happened to her. She survived. She was left damaged by the experience no doubt but she shouldn’t make it her sole personality trait. The fact that she does is sad.
I know everyone deals with trauma differently, I'd also like to say (again, yep, I'm a broken record) that many of us with (c-)PTSD do NOT in any way feel represented by her. I cannot relate in any way to this full-on embrace of the label and revelling in trauma. The stages I went through, which I think are fairly common are

• outright denial of the trauma, pretending nothing is wrong, life is great, lalala, interspersed with CRASH, TRAUMA, ARGHHH every so often
  • eventually recognising the trauma
  • a relatively brief period (in my case 1-2 years) where EVERYTHING was about the trauma. In my case, this was brought on by a hugely triggering event, which led to therapy, where it all needed to come to the surface. It was properly tit, but had to happen. There is no way I'd want to be stuck in that phase. She seems to be in that phase, but I don't think she really is, as this phase leads to growth and change (none of which is evident in her Twitter musings).
  • acceptance - trauma is real, but life is ok and while things can still be triggering, they don't set me off as they used to. I have strategies to cope.

• Heart
Reactions: 63
Oh duck OFFFFFFFF you dramatic hoop! I’ve had a (singular) bailiff at my door before because I was a dick and didn’t pay my council tax (not sure why, was an ostrich about it)... she came in, we agreed I would pay it back at a monthly sum. She left.
Shame my ‘origin story’ isn’t exciting enough for a film or radio show as I could have added some HARROWING scenes such as:
-Borrowing £50 from my mum for shopping
-Putting petrol on a credit card
-Cutting up said credit card
-Cancelling Spotify
But surely you took "mournful face" photos of the event? Very remiss of you if you didn't. 😀

• Haha
Reactions: 27
We RENT here and robbed every lightbulb when we moved because our last landlords were crooks. It's a stupid thing to steal as the low energy whatever lightbulbs last years- I've not used a single one from the bag of stolen bulb goods.
Prinicipal though, innit?

• Haha
Reactions: 22
Removing lightbulbs is an age-old trick of really tight landlords (and even really tight people who are selling their house)
We bought our house from a landlord who rented to students.
Items that were missing:
Lightbulbs
Loo seats
Light switches
Instructions for every appliance

Items that they left:
Food in oven
Curtains
Sofa
Food on wall
Paintings
Set of barbells and weight bench

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 42
Sorry to bring things back to the custard cake, but I honestly HATE it when she does this. Probably went to look for it but then got distracted by frotting herself over the SHEER POWER of her own writing.

View attachment 374356
Suffering pre event trauma at the very thought of this one! Ready to serve custard can be a luxurious, velvety joy. Gently heat and stir in (toss, fold, bung...whatever) a generous slug of booze and ENJOY! 😋

• Haha
Reactions: 19
Her pov trauma is just another thing she's latched onto. Is she bollocks howling, clawing, menacing the postman, and whatever else she claims she does when she hears a knock on the door. All it does is boost her tip jar, and she knows it. It gets more dramatic with every retelling.

Reactions: 29
I've just been looking at custard cake recipes and wondering which one she's plagiarised.
You've started me off looking now. There's a lovely looking raspberry and almond custard cake recipe on Olive website. Uses long life ready made custard, ground and flaked almonds and frozen raspberries. It looks better than any cake Jack has made. I still have loads of cake left over from Christmas and Birthday, but I am so going to make this one when I need more cake.

Reactions: 30
Suffering pre event trauma at the very thought of this one! Ready to serve custard can be a luxurious, velvety joy. Gently heat and stir in (toss, fold, bung...whatever) a generous slug of booze and ENJOY! 😋
9 hours after she went looking for that recipe, I placed an order with Simply Be for a bra and I'm currently wearing said bra. How long does it take to google a recipe?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 79
You've started me off looking now. There's a lovely looking raspberry and almond custard cake recipe on Olive website. Uses long life ready made custard, ground and flaked almonds and frozen raspberries. It looks better than any cake Jack has made. I still have loads of cake left over from Christmas and Birthday, but I am so going to make this one when I need more cake.
Ooo that looks lush, I might give it a go too!

Reactions: 15
I made rhubarb and custard white chocolate blondies and a custard sponge cake over the summer.
Both recipes use ready made custard and both available freely on BBC good food website.

Didn't want to post these ideas last night and do Jack's work for her but the blondies in particular are amazing!

• Heart
Reactions: 31
We bought our house from a landlord who rented to students.
Items that were missing:
Lightbulbs
Loo seats
Light switches
Instructions for every appliance

Items that they left:
Food in oven
Curtains
Sofa
Food on wall
Paintings
Set of barbells and weight bench
Sounds like they had a fabulous yard sale tbh, wonder what the toilet seat resale market looks like, filthy pervs probably make it quite a profitable niche

• Haha
Reactions: 25
Long post alert.

I used to work alongside some local authority bailiffs 🔺️. They never barged in or knocked daily. If the council tax payments were overdue, you'd get two written reminders before the big red final demand. If no payments made you'd get a letter about it being passed to the recovery team and potential consequences. If still no contact, eventually (and there is no time frame because, BUSY) the bailiff would go round. No aggressive knocks, no barging in. I would honestly say, their primary concern was making sure the council tax payer was OKAY. (Particularly at the beginning of their debt.. a few years later they were less sympathetic).

They didn't go in and document all of the personal possessions. They tried to create a suitable payment plan. Eg

Council tax is usually paid over 10 payments from April - January.
If bailiff arrives in December and no payments have been made, they would be happy to agree the next years min monthly payment (to avoid accruing more debt) plus (ideally) the current years debt / 12.
If that additional payment was too high, they could stretch to 36 months (for the existing DEBT, not the future payments).
If these payments were kept up, no further contact.
If they miss one, recovery reminder.
If they miss two, pops up on bailiff list to revist.
Another plan made.
If refusing to speak to local authority bailiffs then it gets passed to private bailiff firm. They can be known to behave in less desirable ways but even they wouldn't knock every day. Unless you have literally hundreds of debts with hundreds of debt management companies.

My point is, you get plenty of warnings. I understand that people bury their heads and it spirals out of control. But surely once you have come out the other side (which she has???), you'd use it as a learning experience and you'd be armed with the knowledge that it doesn't HAVE to be a scary and traumatic time. If you stay in contact, if you engage, if you show you are trying to pay and clear your debts, there is nothing to be afraid of.

I don't understand why she's still terrified if she's paying her bills on time now.

*I have no knowledge of debts with private companies like Cotswold/John Lewis etc. In fact, aside from Council Tax Debt, my knowledge of debt is very minimal. I have been fortunate enough to have never experienced it. The thought of having a credit card terrifies me. I don't buy anything unless I already have the money for it. I would be an absolute MESS if circumstances changed and we were unable to afford actual bills. But I know enough now (having worked in a debt department) to know not to just ignore companies. So surely she should too (having actually experienced it... or is it that she hasn't experienced it at all......)?

☹☹☹
She's basically watched 'Can't Pay? We'll Take it Away' and ran with it 🥴

• Haha
Reactions: 43
Food on wall???

Sounds like they had a fabulous yard sale tbh, wonder what the toilet seat resale market looks like, filthy pervs probably make it quite a profitable niche
It was a “few” years ago now. All physical evidence is thankfully gone.

However, can you tell I am still scarred? (I am not btw)

Give me a few more years to get to the magic 10. I’ll have a twitter account, various Instagram accounts, a tattle thread on said SM accounts and be shouting into the void about cobbles being unsafe for people who wear large, unwieldy trainers.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 23
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.