Jack Monroe #127 No-spend year

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Even her compliments to Marcus Rashford imply he is continuing work she started
Absolutely bang on point, totally bleeping nailed it. This is exactly the tone of her compliments to Rashford and now that you've defined it it's impossible to see them in any other way.

• Heart
Reactions: 50
the genuine good she could do on her platform always has to be seen through the Jack Monroe lens.
I agree. There does not need to be a 'Jack Monroe list' , that people specifically look up. In her replies and tweets all along she had the opportunity to mention organisations that could help, if she had had the interest.

Reactions: 18
Phew! Thank goodness the scissors are only roaming round the bungalow, I mean, they could have been marauding 🙄
Sorry to bring things back to the custard cake, but I honestly HATE it when she does this. Probably went to look for it but then got distracted by frotting herself over the SHEER POWER of her own writing.

View attachment 374356
laughing so hard at frotting herself. Did she rub her wrist while she was at it? :unsure:

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 19
Once the bailiffs had located her, and confirmed she had nothing of value, why would they return time and time again assying their time?
Perhaps they were waiting for the right time to seize her highly valuable collection of used lightbulbs which someone 100% bought during the "yard sale" rather than buy brand new cheapo bulbs from the supermarket or poundshop.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 41
This is how I imagine the Jackolytes as they reply to that newspaper cutting, “Oh it must have been so hard for you.”
“You’ve done so well, you’re a beacon of hope for so many.”
VOMIT IN MY HANDS.

• Haha
Reactions: 31
Now that the Long Covid plot twist has been shelved because of basic squiggle due diligence and questioning, we are back to the short term poverty story again.
It sits so poorly against the actual JM, who owns various high value possessions and makes no real attempts to hide them. It's just the detective skills here are far better than the Jackolytes.
I'm sure that many here and many of JMs Twitter followers could actually correct JM on how bailiffs work, the piles of correspondence that gets proudly displayed and poverty/being less financially able in 2020/2021.

I'm also desperate to find out how to enter the dark ( pun intended ) world of used lightbulb sales. As having refitted the entire house with fancy WiFi bulbs 🔺, I now have a surplus.

• Haha
Reactions: 51
I’m watching it now, it’s so funny. (Not the attempted murder of a man bit obvs)
I'm quite jealous of all this 24 hours in police custody talk. Mr CWH is a police officer 🔺 and watching anything like this makes him chunter so it's banned in our household.

However one of my fave stories of his is when him and some of his colleagues were watching a monitor for one of the cells and they were mightily confused that the occupant had managed to get hold of a chocolate bar and was happily munching away.

On closer inspection I can reveal, dear reader, that it was most definitely not chocolate.

To get things back on topic - probably still a better meal than most things that our Jackie can offer!

• Sick
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 71
I'm quite jealous of all this 24 hours in police custody talk. Mr CWH is a police officer 🔺 and watching anything like this makes him chunter so it's banned in our household.

However one of my fave stories of his is when him and some of his colleagues were watching a monitor for one of the cells and they were mightily confused that the occupant had managed to get hold of a chocolate bar and was happily munching away.

On closer inspection I can reveal, dear reader, that it was most definitely not chocolate.

To get things back on topic - probably still a better meal than most things that our Jackie can offer!
Nooooo!!!! That’s awful. I was just thinking those custody officers really must have seen it all

Reactions: 20
Sorry to bring things back to the custard cake, but I honestly HATE it when she does this. Probably went to look for it but then got distracted by frotting herself over the SHEER POWER of her own writing.

View attachment 374356
She is her own number one fan definitely "EVERYONE LOOK at the raw terrifying beauty and power of my expression in this old newspaper clipping"

As everyone else has said better, she looks like a smug spoilt brat desperate for attention. FURTHERMORE your honour, if she genuinely had PTSD why would she be poring over newspaper clippings which presumably would trigger intense flashbacks leading to howling and clawing at the floor?

• Heart
Reactions: 54
I'm also desperate to find out how to enter the dark ( pun intended ) world of used lightbulb sales. As having refitted the entire house with fancy WiFi bulbs 🔺, I now have a surplus.
You need a genuine cockney urchin like Jack to get you into the shadowy world of used light bulb sales. It's pretty territorial and without the right connections you could end up of the receiving end of unwanted attention from Phil Mitchell or even haunted by the fearsome ghosts of the Kray Twins.
Once you're in you can then open up your own used bulb lot where customers will bid for the bulbs making offers in code such as "deep sea diver", "monkey", "pony", "ton" even going as high as "a grand". As a bonus if the cockneys take a liking to you, you may be occasionally slipped a wad of notes and instructed to "go up west and get yourself something nice" by Frank Butcher himself.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 53
has anybody in the UK ever been to a yard sale or home-based car boot sale like the one she described?
Who lets random people inside to buy stuff?
Who goes into a random house and points at what they want to buy?

Closest I’ve seen is a few parts of London where there are mini flea markets - two or three people on the street with goods laid out on a sheet, or as a child we would “sell” our old toys outside the house, make a sign and put them on a box nicely (and the nice man up the road would buy a shabby my little pony for 50p just to be kind)

Reactions: 39
You'd have to be some sort of masochist to a) keep and b) dig out from filing, the press cuttings discussing the worst period in your life. Or an attention seeking sadfishing twit.

(I must confess I do like to repeatedly watch the TV cookery show I appeared on, but that's because I won it!).

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 56
Removing lightbulbs is an age-old trick of really tight landlords (and even really tight people who are selling their house) so I reckon Jack probably got the idea from her dad (MBE).

Imagine faving posts like this about yourself.
Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 11.08.30.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 11.08.23.png

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 42
has anybody in the UK ever been to a yard sale or home-based car boot sale like the one she described?
Who lets random people inside to buy stuff?
Who goes into a random house and points at what they want to buy?

Closest I’ve seen is a few parts of London where there are mini flea markets - two or three people on the street with goods laid out on a sheet, or as a child we would “sell” our old toys outside the house, make a sign and put them on a box nicely (and the nice man up the road would buy a shabby my little pony for 50p just to be kind)
Nope, never in the South of England where I'm from. Table top sales or car boot sales.

Here in the dessert it's too hot for car boot sales for most of the year and people are always getting deported/ going bankrupt/ leaving in a hurry after being sacked, so there are often open house/ garage sales. Maybe one of Jack's places she had to move to was a gated community in the Middle East?

Removing lightbulbs is an age-old trick of really tight landlords (and even really tight people who are selling their house) so I reckon Jack probably got the idea from her dad (MBE).
We RENT here and robbed every lightbulb when we moved because our last landlords were crooks. It's a stupid thing to steal as the low energy whatever lightbulbs last years- I've not used a single one from the bag of stolen bulb goods.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 34
I mean most people in their 20s live in HMOs or flats... I'm unsure where your typical 24 year old would be able to have a "yard sale" from a logistical point of view, unless I'm taking this too literally...

• Heart
Reactions: 32
Bear with my “yard sale” forensic analysis
Either people were marauding about the accommodation asking to purchase lightbulbs (what? Watt?) AND Dino toy beloved by SB
OR she set out some kind of stall offering her lightbulbs and SB’s favourite toy for sale

I just think the second one is more likely.
I’ve done car boot sales in my time, people will ask to buy everything, including the jacket I was wearing. Much as I wanted loads of cash, I managed to say no to selling things I was actually using.

• Haha
Reactions: 23
I’ve had a (singular) bailiff at my door before because I was a dick and didn’t pay my council tax (not sure why, was an ostrich about it)... she came in, we agreed I would pay it back at a monthly sum. She left.
Long post alert.

I used to work alongside some local authority bailiffs 🔺️. They never barged in or knocked daily. If the council tax payments were overdue, you'd get two written reminders before the big red final demand. If no payments made you'd get a letter about it being passed to the recovery team and potential consequences. If still no contact, eventually (and there is no time frame because, BUSY) the bailiff would go round. No aggressive knocks, no barging in. I would honestly say, their primary concern was making sure the council tax payer was OKAY. (Particularly at the beginning of their debt.. a few years later they were less sympathetic).

They didn't go in and document all of the personal possessions. They tried to create a suitable payment plan. Eg

Council tax is usually paid over 10 payments from April - January.
If bailiff arrives in December and no payments have been made, they would be happy to agree the next years min monthly payment (to avoid accruing more debt) plus (ideally) the current years debt / 12.
If that additional payment was too high, they could stretch to 36 months (for the existing DEBT, not the future payments).
If these payments were kept up, no further contact.
If they miss one, recovery reminder.
If they miss two, pops up on bailiff list to revist.
Another plan made.
If refusing to speak to local authority bailiffs then it gets passed to private bailiff firm. They can be known to behave in less desirable ways but even they wouldn't knock every day. Unless you have literally hundreds of debts with hundreds of debt management companies.

My point is, you get plenty of warnings. I understand that people bury their heads and it spirals out of control. But surely once you have come out the other side (which she has???), you'd use it as a learning experience and you'd be armed with the knowledge that it doesn't HAVE to be a scary and traumatic time. If you stay in contact, if you engage, if you show you are trying to pay and clear your debts, there is nothing to be afraid of.

I don't understand why she's still terrified if she's paying her bills on time now.

*I have no knowledge of debts with private companies like Cotswold/John Lewis etc. In fact, aside from Council Tax Debt, my knowledge of debt is very minimal. I have been fortunate enough to have never experienced it. The thought of having a credit card terrifies me. I don't buy anything unless I already have the money for it. I would be an absolute MESS if circumstances changed and we were unable to afford actual bills. But I know enough now (having worked in a debt department) to know not to just ignore companies. So surely she should too (having actually experienced it... or is it that she hasn't experienced it at all......)?

☹☹☹

• Heart
Reactions: 41
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.