Jack Monroe #127 No-spend year

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi @TVC15 there’s a really interesting documentary about a tv presenter with ASD. Not sure if or how you could access it where you are
The thing is, Chris managed to get a tv career in the 80s and maintain it AND be something of a national treasure.
I guess he doesn’t have RA and ADHD and he isn’t non-binary so he had it easy
Just to say I bloody love Chris Packham! My favourite story is how when his peers started having an interest in the opposite sex and he spent his time down the garden with his kestrel! I think that sums up with such beautiful simplicity how young people on the spectrum are on a completely different page to other kids their age.

• Heart
Reactions: 52
I suspect she's after the Schitt's Creek demographic with all the folding in.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 53
What's everyone's favourite type of Letdown Larder contributor, BTW? I'm torn between the ones who have fancy ingredients that Jack clearly doesn't know anything about (eels, banana blossom, chip shop chips) and the hi Jack I've got some bread, any ideas? crowd...
My favourite one is def 'I have some pasta, a tin of tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper and chilli. Any ideas?' or the 'I have 75kg of serrano ham but I hate ham. Any suggestions for someone who doesn't like ham?'

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 52
It took a full 18 hours (not even a full day ) to go from her patronising "we need to stay home" tweet to "I just illegally met my dad and brother in Asda, aren't we cheeky"

I would LOVE for a tabloid to pick up on it: Jack Monroe Admits to Breaking Lockdown Hours After Tweeting '#Stayathome'

• Angry
  • Haha
Reactions: 76
Squiggle "I bought something to try. I tried it and didn't like it. What should I do with it?"

Well here's a radical idea, chuck it in the bin. You don't like it.
This is why the food waste idea can be so dangerous.

People are terrified of throwing stuff in the bin due to being called out (pesto squiggle for example).

They therefore seek her “help” on ideas for said item and in doing so create a dish that wastes even more food as it still tastes of the item they couldn’t stand.

If she had any decency she would be honest about this, but she blindly wades in and tells people to make inedible (in my eyes) dishes that in the end will be far more wasteful than if people just used the item as it was intended or binned it.

• Heart
Reactions: 34
I’m from Northern Ireland. I can remember taking a trip over to Blackpool about 2013 to go to pleasure beach and the b&b we were in served tinned plum tomatoes as part of the breakfast. My partner who is also from NI informed me this is a common thing in north west of England. He went to uni in Preston. Is this correct?
In England generally I believe

FFS does EVERYTHING have to be chopped really fine and presented in liquid/slop form? 🙄
That sounds bleeping rank

• Haha
Reactions: 16
Am I missing something about Lockdown Larder starting minutes after the announcement? The food is still there like it was minutes before. No need to rummage through the out of date skank and try to Jackify it. Just cook your food, you know, the way you did yesterday.

Hang on though...😁
... this could be actual me. Obviously, I like them 'cos I bought them and have cooked with them before but just discovered a bag hiding under the wine chiller and chips. Can't wait for the replies. 🤞
1609857196804.png

• Haha
Reactions: 30
What even is this! Just a couple of commas and I would have had a go but, no, you've got me.
View attachment 373078
Your post about the person all alone with the Greek yogurt that’s about to blow really cracked me up, I was gutted she answered that one!

So many laughs just from a quick grunk, @Silver Linings “Morphin Jack”, where somehow Jack‘s Guardian byline photo is STILL the funniest thing about it!

And I can’t stop laughing at “startled MPs” , 👇you can just picture their faces!
Please,please let there be a hearing for this with Jack reading out the best Tattle zingers to a committee of startled MPs
And that’s just the tip of the iceberg (lettuce), so many hilarious people here, it really takes the edge off Jack’s nonsense.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 35
Lockdown Larder was a flawed concept from the beginning, but now it's frankly ludicrous.

I can answer all lockdown larder questions in three simple statements.

1. Throw it away. You don't have to like every single ingredient.
  2. Please plan your shopping in future and don't add food items you don't like or eat to your basket.
  3. Google it.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 70
Eat the bastarding beans. They're lovely.

(Eg, stock, soy sauce, mirin/sake if you've got it, packet of udon, quartered cherry tomato, frozen peas, sweetcorn, edamame, spring onion greens, miso if you have it, chilli flakes on top. Or just heat the buggers up and put on a plate as a vegetable. Or add to couscous/bulghar with chopped cucumber, tomatoes, lemon, olive oil and chopped fresh parsley, or with feta, lemon and olive oil...)

NOT EVERYTHING NEEDS THE FLAVOUR RINSED OFF OR HIDDEN FFS.

• Heart
Reactions: 33
Oh for gods sake - yet again, doing the bare minimum of 'work' (tweeting "I'm doing this...") and getting all her squiggles to do the actual legwork. She thinks it'll be like what Marcus Rashford did with the orgs offering meals for kids at half term. Of course, this list will never see the light of day... (prove me wrong Jack!)

• Heart
Reactions: 65
View attachment 373132
She is utterly insufferable.
Ugh, there was a thing on Tattle earlier about how to get easy traffic on SM (may be hete, may be Celebrity thread...)
Apparently the absolute easiest way of getting likes and retweets is to post a list of helplines.
People think they're helping others by retweeting it (especially during pandemic) but in reality the 'star' is just getting lots of traction.

• Angry
  • Heart
Reactions: 51
Has her mother (and father) lost the ability to read? She didn't know any earlier than anybody else and it was leaked beforehand. It'll be why her father was out shopping, FFS (and most likely so he could have 1-2-1 time with the lad - not with the vaguely embarrassing older one appearing with a Cooooo-EEEEEEE! I knew I'd find you here!)
Another make it make sense story where everything is illogical, seems fake or simply plain odd. As other Frauen and Herren rightly objected that the supermarket is not a likely meeting point in these and otherwise norm times and why can't dad drop stuff at her house? Why the sudden sibling talk and,haha, it needs JM sudden and unexpected pillar of the community advice person to inform of the new regulations and risks. What a myriad (hello,new word) shite.

Reactions: 25
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.