Jack Monroe #127 No-spend year

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Isn’t lockdown larder redundant if people can still get to the supermarket and most foods shouldn’t run out this time as they’ll put limits on pasta etc to stop panic buying. I’m not sure who lockdown larder is meant to help?
Jack!

• Haha
Reactions: 27
I’ve taken the details off but a friend sent me this which is from a reasonably well known vegan instagrammer. I was absolutely stunned by it. Just thought I’d share because I think it tells me a lot about when ‘influencers’ mention brand names and how much companies are prepared to send free stuff and pay hard cash for mentions, and I wonder if it explains some of the clutter and weird references.
4D4F8A85-252D-4A0B-A0CA-61E10C6F8AA0.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: 42
Translation: There’s no time for this long covid tit now that lockdown is here. Time of uncertainly + people who don’t know what to do with tinned tomatoes = Jack’s literal time to shine bright like the Lady of the Lockdown who she perceives herself to be.
B6D3943E-CF44-4926-B1B3-CFA607A6CA8E.jpeg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 84
I am struggling to understand how Jack is helping anyone with this Lockdown Larder. (I know, I've been here long enough to realise that this is not about Jack helping, and all about Jack's ego)

Why did these people buy something they didn't know how to cook? Why have they waited until lockdown to find out how to use it? Do they not know anyone in real life that they could ask? There's no shortage of food, so they are not compelled to use only what is in their larder.

Have these people wanting her advice for recipes never heard of Google? There's a plethora (see if she uses that word in the coming days) of recipes for any ingredient. If they really want one her recipes, just Google her name+foodstuff.

As an aside, a larder is a very middle class word/concept/aspiration, most of us have a food cupboard. Some younger people, or people whose first language is not English wouldn't know what a larder is, certainly not those in long term poverty.

I just do not get it, I really don't.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 72
I’m from Northern Ireland. I can remember taking a trip over to Blackpool about 2013 to go to pleasure beach and the b&b we were in served tinned plum tomatoes as part of the breakfast. My partner who is also from NI informed me this is a common thing in north west of England. He went to uni in Preston. Is this correct?
On a grunk, so I bet this has been future answered - but ‘yes, absolutely’. Going to 🔺 possibly, being of Lancastrian stock - all my grandparents did this, and my mum and dad too - my husband who is public school educated and very middle class couldn’t believe it was a thing when I told him. He also thought I was having him on about bacon in a can (bacon grill) which was a common thing too.

• Heart
Reactions: 29
I am struggling to understand how Jack is helping anyone with this Lockdown Larder. (I know, I've been here long enough to realise that this is not about Jack helping, and all about Jack's ego)

Why did these people buy something they didn't know how to cook? Why have they waited until lockdown to find out how to use it? Do they not know anyone in real life that they could ask? There's no shortage of food, so they are not compelled to use only what is in their larder.

Have these people wanting her advice for recipes never heard of Google? There's a plethora (see if she uses that word in the coming days) of recipes for any ingredient. If they really want one her recipes, just Google her name+foodstuff.

As an aside, a larder is a very middle class word/concept/aspiration, most of us have a food cupboard. Some younger people, or people whose first language is not English wouldn't know what a larder is, certainly not those in long term poverty.

I just do not get it, I really don't.
You put it so well. The shops aren't shut, why were people messaging her seconds after the announcement!

I have a theory, that I often bore my family with, that most online dialogue isn't about people wanting their questions answered, it's about making a connection. Most of our local FB and Reddit groups are full of easily goggled questions, but people just love a chat! And don't get me started on the mums' whatsapp groups...

Reactions: 60
On a grunk, so I bet this has been future answered - but ‘yes, absolutely’. Going to 🔺 possibly, being of Lancastrian stock - all my grandparents did this, and my mum and dad too - my husband who is public school educated and very middle class couldn’t believe it was a thing when I told him. He also thought I was having him on about bacon in a can (bacon grill) which was a common thing too.
I must have missed the tin tomato debate. I was today years old when I realised that tomatoes on a full English was not normal 😱. Also tinned tomatoes on toast is the number 1 hangover cure!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 36
This wins the internet for the day 😂 I tried to insert a humorous gif but failed at that too,having a mare today! At some point I was hoping to have a comedy sausage as my avatar but I fear that may be beyond me !

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 66
Some younger people, or people whose first language is not English wouldn't know what a larder is, certainly not those in long term poverty.
When I first heard it, having grown up with the English of US pop cultur rather than UK middle class English, I thought it had something to do with lard (which in the case of JM wold not be untrue). I first heard it when I was invited to a friend's family cottage in Cornwall. I still find it a strange word and don't have a larder.

• Haha
Reactions: 24
You put it so well. The shops aren't shut, why were people messaging her seconds after the announcement!

I have a theory, that I often bore my family with, that most online dialogue isn't about people wanting their questions answered, it's about making a connection. Most of our local FB and Reddit groups are full of easily goggled questions, but people just love a chat! And don't get me started on the mums' whatsapp groups...
I so believe your theory. I also once read that typcal 'reply guys' only respond the way they do (challenging the original poster, rather than giving a 'that's interesting, tell me more' response) because that's the only way they know how to relate to others.

Reactions: 21
Non-essential shops are closing again. Supermarkets, chemists etc can stay open (inc garden centres this time).
Sorry, that was badly phrased on my part...I meant to say that more places are open during this lockdown - garden centres, cafés, restaurants for take aways etc, which wasn’t the case the first time round (where I live, at any rate!).

Reactions: 15
Sorry, that was badly phrased on my part...I meant to say that more places are open during this lockdown - garden centres, cafés, restaurants for take aways etc, which wasn’t the case the first time round (where I live, at any rate!).
It’s the same where I live too, they’re saying it’s only essential shops again but the range of shops considered essential seems to have widened since the March lockdown.

Reactions: 22
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.