Jack Monroe #125 Tweeted it, completed it, deleted it

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thinking of everyone who has been affected by her, now, in the past or in the future.
Her lack of self awareness is awful, her behaviour is revolting and she really needs an agent to keep her in line.

ETA: This is from 2019.

Guess this won’t be a Del Monte recipe then? Her actual face at the end of the vid - why? Just why? Didn’t have to make it, didn’t have to post it.
Also...if the spinach and the pears were both safely tinned...why would it be food waste?

(I’ve been sucked into that Hilaria / Hilary Baldwin vortex...what on Earth!? Can’t stop thinking of the Spanish named 5 children she popped out, must be hard being raised by a narc.)

View attachment 364526
I would imagine that face is a given for the majority, if not all of her recipes

• Haha
Reactions: 28
this is the most sensible and realistic answer but the whole furlough/Caroline can't wfh thing makes no sense at all! Surely she was able to work from home once schools opened in September? millions of other parent managed to do it!
To be honest if I had to work for Jack, I’d be thrilled to be furloughed and get a break... It’s not really in the spirit of the scheme but as we’ve seen with the Kickstarter JM isn’t bothered about things others might consider to be unethical.

Reactions: 24
I would imagine that face is a given for the majority, if not all of her recipes
I’ve been watching the press conferences for near on three hours and I have a pretty good feeling that this is my facial expression right now.

#mattgavbo

At what point can we add piststitigugo made with authentic bucatini to THE LIST?

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 20
Somewhere in the Kickstarter publicly available updates, Jack complains that she is "having to pay for the postage for the donated books" herself.

As far as I know, this was included in the purchase price!

In addition, in responding to a question in the comments section, Jack mentions something to the effect that whilst 68 K seems a lot, it is actually peanuts and that publishers, including the ones who published her previous book, routinely spend hundreds of thousands of pounds publishing each book - including her last one. I find this figure very surprising! Anyone here in publishing?

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 39
It’s secret bonus answer D.) all of the above, PLUS, she then published via Bluebird anyway. So the people who were treated like tit throughout the Kickstarter not only got a sub-par book, it was given to them in some cases after a “superior” version was available on Amazo much cheaper.

Dear reader, I have the Amazon version. It’s the worst recipe book I own, out of about 60+

Additionally, she somehow clawed back mega kudos for the Kickstarter because she “gave” so many books to foodbanks. What everyone seems to fail to note with that, is that the Kickstarter backers paid for each additional book to go to a Foodbank, it never at any point came out of Jack’s own pocket. Also, she starte the KS by asking for £8k to publish, and ended up with £68k so it’s possible she ended up with the change as profit. And it took nearly three years to write a 100 recipe book that included such gems as: porridge, add water to oats and put it in the microwave, or add milk if you like.
I don’t mind the easy recipes for food bank stuff. I definitely don’t know how to make porridge. The worst think she does is duck up precious food for people on a tight budget, making it taste weird and nasty. If she made a really clear book of easy recipes and gave it away to food banks I would happily donate (I think I tied to at the time and the platform doesn’t work properly here). It’s embarassing that she profits off generosity and spends the money on sideboards and massive haircuts, unforgivable that she ruins meals for the vulnerable by making them maverick. Everyone around her should have a hard think about enabling her. Looking at you, BB.

• Heart
Somewhere in the Kickstarter publicly available updates, Jack complains that she is "having to pay for the postage for the donated books" herself.

As far as I know, this was included in the purchase price!

In addition, in responding to a question in the comments section, Jack mentions something to the effect that whilst 68 K seems a lot, it is actually peanuts and that publishers, including the ones who published her previous book, routinely spend hundreds of thousands of pounds publishing each book - including her last one. I find this figure very surprising! Anyone here in publishing?
That makes you wonder why her original Kickstarter target was only £8,000 then, doesn’t it? As in, she clearly thought she could get the book done for that. 🤔

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 56
@traumatised sideboard pretty pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease?
I've got my hands full with a Slopbot update now that the blessed Slopmas night has passed and Father Slopmas' services are suspended until next year. Here's a DIY version where you can substitute your own increasingly ridiculous phrases between the square brackets.

'I'm sorry that I haven't [posted that grotesque slop recipe I promised] but I [fell down the stairs due to the slippery nature of my cat paw socks in my haste to streak past my housemate Louisa Compton the Brexit tin thief]. I seriously injured my [giant Mediterranean arse] and had to spend [16 days] in A&E. Now that I have long COVID in addition to my [arthritis], [ADHD] and [terminal insufferability] I won't be able to do any work for the next [three months]. If you try to hold me accountable for my own actions, you are a [bullying] [conspiracy wanker] and my lawyer will shortly be sending you a letter notifying you of my intention to [sue for libel]. Sorry but this is all your fault. 🥰 '

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 105
Does anyone remember the Christmas recipe card scheme she launched in 2017/18? Did that get completed (m8), in the end?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 32
Like a stopped clock she’s occasionally right- I liked the micro porridge oats one as I liked porridge and I commuted so it was a revelation to me to make my own and save some £ on those sachets 🤷🏼‍♀️
Like a lot of people here I was taken in by Jack. If you are a normal person who cares for others, then you will be taken in by a narcissist. I think for me I always imagined her family didn’t have a relationship with her because she was gay and trans. So it made sense that she was alone raising SB because that’s the story of other people I have known.
I think the most shocking thing I have learned here is that she co-parents with sb’s Dad and her family speak to her.

• Heart
Reactions: 62
Absolutely spot on! This must have been budgeted for? I mean even a severely basic 'book' would have to be costed? So why then when the total raised continued to grow was this was not addressed & reassessed to demonstrate visibility to backers?
Also, as we know Jack, if there was even a chance of being out of pocket, this wouldn't have happened..... Because, you know, butter.

• Haha
Reactions: 37
So why then when the total raised continued to grow was this was not addressed & reassessed to demonstrate visibility to backers?
Any reasonable person, when they get £60k EXTRA in a crowdfunder, would automatically donate a portion of that (at least) to a charity - the obvious one in this case would be a foodbank. But nope, Jack seems to have pocketed the lot, whilst also complaining about postage costs.

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 61
I remember reading her tweets years ago about her hour(s) long commutes taking her son to school on the train and the constant rude replies to every suggestion from followers.
This has reminded me of something but I’m not sure if I dreamt it... didn’t she get hit by a train on the school run! I’m (almost) in awe of a woman so chaotic that that’s the sort of thing that slips your mind about her.

• Haha
Reactions: 41
Like a stopped clock she’s occasionally right- I liked the micro porridge oats one as I liked porridge and I commuted so it was a revelation to me to make my own and save some £ on those sachets 🤷🏼‍♀️
Like a lot of people here I was taken in by Jack. If you are a normal person who cares for others, then you will be taken in by a narcissist. I think for me I always imagined her family didn’t have a relationship with her because she was gay and trans. So it made sense that she was alone raising SB because that’s the story of other people I have known.
I think the most shocking thing I have learned here is that she co-parents with sb’s Dad and her family speak to her.
I agree. Jack only ever has any issue because of the "me-me-me's".
The family & wider family (SB's Dad etc) seem quite accepting & tolerant of her despite her many faults & issues. This is something to be respected, even in 2020.

Gender & sexuality firmly aside, there are many problems that need to be addressed. The shocking thing to me is the amount of coats a wolf has to to put on to feel accepted or validated.
To lie to yourself is quite different to presenting yourself as a saviour.

• Heart
Reactions: 34
This has reminded me of something but I’m not sure if I dreamt it... didn’t she get hit by a train on the school run! I’m (almost) in awe of a woman so chaotic that that’s the sort of thing that slips your mind about her.
She fell and went under the train, saved only by her "Mediterranean arse", SB pulled her up. My absolute favourite Monroe Woe

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 60
Oh totally, porridge is something that everyone should be taught how to cook and I don’t think it’s bad to put it in per se. Like when Delia, something like 30 years ago, put how to boil an egg in one of her books. I definitely think there’s a place for teaching the foundations in cook books, not everything has to be Ottolenghi jazz hands with fifty exotic ingredients. Thing is, that book took her nearly three years to write. That’s why the porridge recipe is such a joke to me, it’s not like she was developing gastronomic marvels. The mushroom soup right pissed me off, too! Literally a haul of yellow stickered mushrooms mixed with hot water. It would taste so vile that the person making it would end up wasting it, plus again where is the time spent on recipe development? She’s a charlatan 😖

• Heart
  • Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.