Jack Monroe #122 You don’t batch tweet when you’ve got a 106 fever

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
She should have written BBC good food. That's not my trifle it looks edible.

No offence but it looks like a fruit punch that was made by a drunk person and left overnight to stew in a boiling room.

• Haha
Reactions: 47
Was thinking the same - it's not fruit, it's diced swede, carrot, potato and olives in beetroot aspic, shes gonna top with cheese sauce and horse spunk which will thicken up in the fridge... 🤢
Merry Christmas Eve, Liebling Frauen!

PS Jack, you can have this recipe on me...

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 53
Aspic, oh no! Jack is exactly the sort of person who would try to revive aspics - her dream would be random pieces of fish and eggs floating in a meaty jelly 😨 90% vegan

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 59
Some recipes have a clear definition: spaghetti alla carbonara does not contain halloumi. Risotto is made with short-grain rice. Souffle involves whisking egg whites. Etc etc.

Others are adaptable (in fact, risotto fits here too: you could make a risotto with many types of meat, fish, veg etc, as long as the rice and technique is right). Trifle fits into this category. It's a blueprint, but it's highly adaptable - different fruit, flavours, etc.

When people point out the former, they're snobs who want to stop the poor from eating. But apparently there is only one trifle? Yawn.

PS she regularly turns into the Guardian's How To Eat column. The Guardian generally has good food pages, but How To Eat is lame clickbait designed to get people shouting "JAM FIRST YOU PRICK" at each other in comments. It's so, so, so inane.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 55
I have triangulated the trifles. In order as tweeted, they are from:
Esther Clark

allrecipes.com (couldn't see author)

Taylor Murray

Good Food magazine (no author)

Jessica Holmes

chelsweets.com

Curtis Stone

Olivia Galletly

myfoodbook.com.au

justamumnz.com

downshiftology.com (site wouldn't open for me so couldn't get author)

Jenn Segal

Chelsie Collins (Sainsbury's magazine)

Phoebe Wood

BBC Good Food (couldn't see author)

GordonRamsayrestaurants.com

tinnedtomatoes.com

yourfoodfantasy.com (no author)

Richard Bainbridge.

A lot seem to be food bloggers, even the Gordon Ramsay one doesn't credit him specifically. Jack had cropped a lot of the names out of her screenshots but Google Lens found them easy enough. I also noted many of them had alcohol but this wasn't mentioned except the gin one I think. Lastly, one trifle she slagged off had almost 300 5 star reviews. Ha.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 73
Cannot wait for the inevitable “curly wurlys used to be bigger” chat when she opens SB’s selection box for him

• Haha
Reactions: 66
I take it that’s a picture of the trifle AFTER it’s been through one’s digestive system?

• Haha
Reactions: 30
If I were to make a trifle (and I've only done it once), I'd want to go for the one where you get really uniform layers rather than bits of cake and custard and cream tossed on top of each other. I'm pretty sure that the latter still tastes good (it's cake and cream and custard), but I wouldn't really feel like I'd properly made a trifle.

The one I did a few years ago was amaretto soaked ladyfingers, red jelly and raspberries, orange jelly, blancmange (I'd take this layer out if I were to do it again, was not a fan of it), custard and cream. However, it was a bit of an undertaking as the setting times really add up how long it takes to do.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
All that crockery and all those serving dishes and that is the best trifle bowl she can come up with?!

• Haha
Reactions: 35
All that crockery and all those serving dishes and that is the best trifle bowl she can come up with?!
Its not the best trifle bowl she can come up with, its the most working class bowl she can come up with.

or to be kind:rolleyes: its a clear glass bowl so you can observe her 'process'.

• Haha
Reactions: 41
Just catching up, I don’t believe she has/had COVID, I also don’t believe Sb is there. Her dads trifle is an abomination, and hers will be too.

• Heart
Reactions: 41
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.