Jack Monroe #12 Eight thousand pages from her printer, this could take us through to winter.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
That is a gorgeous garden, yes she is fortunate to have that for her own in lockdown and it’s good to see how she is using it for her son.

Then again is that part of her 17hr working day? Or is today a day off as it’s a weekend?

Who looks after her son while she is putting in these 17hr days anyway?

Reactions: 16
Oh for ffs 🤦🏻‍♀️ why is that even necessary? Why does she need to add in the 32x my income bit? We get it, IT'S RENTED, YOU CAN'T AFFORD TO BUY IT,

NEWS FLASH, NOBODY bleeping CARES THAT YOU DON'T OWN YOUR OWN HOME AND HAVE TO RENT A 'crappy' BUNGALOW
I’ve rented all my adult life and have never even had a small yard never mind a lovely garden like that. But I’ve made fab homely spaces with what I’ve got and I’d bore my pals to tears if all I went on about was not owning property. She needs to learn to appreciate what she’s got and stop bringing everything back to the haves/have-nots. It gets dull. Imagine the dinner party chat!

(Just my opinion, your honour)

• Heart
Reactions: 26
She tweeted that as well, about it being 32x her annual salary
I'm no accountant, but, um, *doubt it*.

Also, I know everyone does things differently, but even though my partner and I don't live together, because circumstances, we are partners and intend to be that way for the rest of lives, so despite living apart, we consider our finances shared. That's even more the case for the house you share, surely?!

Reactions: 18
I used to say i wish i could buy a home but actually.. I dont mind renting. Sure, fairer rents would be nice and some security BUT I never have to worry about the cost of maintaining a home. I dont have to panic about unexpected costs like broken boilers or a leak. We pay through the nose for our actually crappy house (2 up 2 down, neglected for years by the owner, wallpapered ceilings, crumbling plaster etc), but its all we can afford at the moment.. we make do! We are just about getting by, id be so scared about unexpected housing costs if we owned.

Oh god. She was barely on my radar before, but now? Absolute fuckhead of a woman.

• Heart
Reactions: 28
She managed to stretch our threads to 8,000 pages. So by the same logic the bungalow is, in reality, probably no more than 5x her income. (Please note no actual calculations have been made, it’s late 😂)

Does she even know what her income is, anyway? If she does why hasn’t she filed her (very overdue) accounts?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 20
She managed to stretch our threads to 8,000 pages. So by the same logic the bungalow is, in reality, probably no more than 5x her income. (Please note no actual calculations have been made, it’s late 😂)

Does she even know what her income is, anyway? If she does why hasn’t she filed her (very overdue) accounts?

Do we think her bungalow is actually downton abbey. Because her exaggerations have got me thinking she's in a gaff with staff.

• Haha
Reactions: 15
I've been reading all the thread and I was one of the people originally drawn in by Jack - I bought her tin can cook and have subsequently donated it after seeing this tit show...

I just got a notification about this article and I feel sick at the picture :sick: also so much for polenta being fancy.

Sorry for the double post but seriously

Attachments

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 18
It’s just such an unboundaried overshare that no one need know. I love talking about personal finance & think it’s so important for women especially but like... this ain’t it x

Agree! I SO wish that talking about personal finance, salaries, saving options etc was a more common and accessible conversation. Just not the way that JM seems to do it!

• Heart
Reactions: 12
That is a gorgeous garden, yes she is fortunate to have that for her own in lockdown and it’s good to see how she is using it for her son.

Then again is that part of her 17hr working day? Or is today a day off as it’s a weekend?

Who looks after her son while she is putting in these 17hr days anyway?
She only seems to mention him when it adds into how poor she is or how marvellous she is. She's got three siblings and is living in her home town. Judging from his screen name on Mumsnet, his father is relatively local. Even before lockdown, going through her articles, tweets etc, there's no mention of aunties, uncles, grandparents or playing with cousins etc. It's like she's cut herself off, and hence also her son. Yes, her parents may have not been able to help much when they finally found out how she was struggling, but what about her siblings? It's like she wants to portray herself as alone against the uncaring world because she's so poor and, did she tell you?, lives in a rented, crappy bungalow (with stairs).

Reactions: 17
Agreed, or “just a tent” - no one is expecting it to be an organic linen artisanal yurt with driftwood furnishing.
I was, to be fair. But Mrs J won’t let her have one will she? She makes her kid sound like a burdensome affliction, and her partner sound like a miserable hag.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
I used to say i wish i could buy a home but actually.. I dont mind renting. Sure, fairer rents would be nice and some security BUT I never have to worry about the cost of maintaining a home. I dont have to panic about unexpected costs like broken boilers or a leak. We pay through the nose for our actually crappy house (2 up 2 down, neglected for years by the owner, wallpapered ceilings, crumbling plaster etc), but its all we can afford at the moment.. we make do! We are just about getting by, id be so scared about unexpected housing costs if we owned.

Oh god. She was barely on my radar before, but now? Absolute fuckhead of a woman.
The British are one of the only European countries so obsessed with home ownership, in Germany apparently it’s really not the done thing (sorry if this is wrong German friends it’s just what I’ve read 😳) but that’s because they have SUCH good laws to protect renters, like long term contracts, rights to have pets/decorate, actual standards... whilst in the UK it’s a real shitshow because slumlords are allowed to do whatever they want.

TBH it sounds hypocritical and I appreciate it’s easy to say from a comparative position of privilege in owning, but I was underwhelmed when we did and I don’t think people speak about that enough. They’re too busy sharing smug pics on insta (when their parents paid for it?! That tit should be banned 😂) It’s a lot of grief & admin, it’s stolen the remainder of my carefree youth tbh. I drove my car into our house when parking on the drive (was so scared of scratching the other car my brain forgot the house), heard a crunch and had a panic attack cos I thought I’d driven through the bleeping wall. Any time the boiler makes a new noise you feel like you’re gonna tit yourself too. I’d rather the papered ceiling than the anxiety disorder 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 25
The British are one of the only European countries so obsessed with home ownership, in Germany apparently it’s really not the done thing (sorry if this is wrong German friends it’s just what I’ve read 😳) but that’s because they have SUCH good laws to protect renters, like long term contracts, rights to have pets/decorate, actual standards... whilst in the UK it’s a real shitshow because slumlords are allowed to do whatever they want.

TBH it sounds hypocritical and I appreciate it’s easy to say from a comparative position of privilege in owning, but I was underwhelmed when we did and I don’t think people speak about that enough. They’re too busy sharing smug pics on insta (when their parents paid for it?! That tit should be banned 😂) It’s a lot of grief & admin, it’s stolen the remainder of my carefree youth tbh. I drove my car into our house when parking on the drive (was so scared of scratching the other car my brain forgot the house), heard a crunch and had a panic attack cos I thought I’d driven through the bleeping wall. Any time the boiler makes a new noise you feel like you’re gonna tit yourself too. I’d rather the papered ceiling than the anxiety disorder 😂
Exactly. Glorifying being a home owner is bollocks. Make renting fairer across the board and get rid of the snobbery and envy between it all.

• Heart
Reactions: 27

I feel you. We bought a new build then rescued a dog. The house is trashed and it’s been a year. Can’t afford to redo it now the dogs calmed.
You make the best of the hand you’ve been dealt in life. And I’d say she’s doing all-bleeping-right.

• Sad
Reactions: 14
Apropos of ABSOLUTELY NOTHING AT ALL this song has been in my head all day.

Like someone wise upthread said, it would be perfectly possible for her to do all the things she is doing now, while acknowledging her personal situation has significantly improved from the difficult times in the past. Come on, if you have published cookbooks, a stint on national TV, various other income streams and a partner with a good job, things have moved on. That's ok, and hopeful for other people which can do good too. Actually no, it would be better, so those struggling now know that things are generally not permanent and there are ways out and better times ahead.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Exactly. Glorifying being a home owner is bollocks. Make renting fairer across the board and get rid of the snobbery and envy between it all.
Yep!! Tbh social housing is our only answer, it’ll also make fairer societies too, eg you won’t only be able to go to an outstanding school if your parents live in a £800k house. Reduces silos & encourages inclusion.

I feel you. We bought a new build then rescued a dog. The house is trashed and it’s been a year. Can’t afford to redo it now the dogs calmed.
You make the best of the hand you’ve been dealt in life. And I’d say she’s doing all-bleeping-right.
Oh bless you, I feel your pain. Cats have fucked parts of our (old, thankfully due for replacing) living room carpet and I bleeping hate it, cringe whenever I look at it. Today when vacuuming our brand new carpet upstairs I’ve seen what looks like plucking so entered a panic vortex over that ☹ Life’s a marathon not a sprint tho, one day we’ll fix this tit x

Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.