Jack Monroe #12 Eight thousand pages from her printer, this could take us through to winter.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Excuse my ignorance but that doesn’t work either.

If you’re talking about online banking - my social media has no details of who I bank with/my customer number/my passcodes. They could call and say they are me, but then would need to tell them my mothers maiden name which isn’t just sitting on Facebook.
A lot of people’s social media is locked down now and very few even have mobile numbers on them in the first place - there’s some people who do but I can’t imagine this being widespread.

I’m particularly interested as I worked around this time for one of the big networks and never heard of it at all! So I’m surprised this is a thing now. Let’s be honest, Jack isn’t going to have her phone number on her social media to be hacked this way is she? Not when she has her rabid fans on there.
I don’t know enough about actual fraud but know quite a lot about data & breaches and funnily last week at work we had a girl in my team have someone try to commit fraud on her *retailer* account as her details had been compromised and she recycles passwords:

If a site has been compromised - say Airbnb or dominoes etc which has your email, phone number, possibly card details but not always, etc etc these lists live on in the dark web and people can buy them. So say you’re using [email protected] and password is secret - someone can write a script to whizz through that csv file and try all of those emails & passwords on PayPal, on John Lewis, etc to try it out under the knowledge most people password recycle. I don’t fully understand how the delivery element of it occurs to be honest, most often at work we see fraud used to buy gift cards that they they are emailed because it’s quicker & obviously no paper trail on delivery addresses. But we have also seen frauds that get delivered to addresses, most often flats so they’ll deliver to the building and intercept the package so the wrong address doesn’t get it.

Regarding banking obviously there are multiple steps to it and it is a lot harder, but if you were to cross reference multiple leaked sources I imagine it’d be feasible to build up a pretty good picture. But that’s why most often now you see bank scams over mobile, you’ll get texted a link that looks like it’s from Natwrst or whoever and you go in and fill in the form and complete the job for them. Or they’ll call you up, and because they have x y z on you, you believe they’re the bank and you pass your own security test for them.

I mean I don’t understand enough about PAC or telecoms to comment on that at all but I can fully believe it from a web data PoV. I’ve also worked in places where they’ve stored full card numbers unencrypted in their databases (literally criminal now) and had analysts with PII on hard drives they leave on their desks so I believe anything is possible sadly 😂

• Wow
Reactions: 2
Can’t remember who mentioned Amanda Palmer but she’s trending on twitter today - never heard of her before but she has “backed by 15k patrons & grateful” in her bio! The cheek of it 😂

15k Patrons at at least £1 is £15k a MONTH? Who is lining up to fund these rich women’s lives?!
brb just setting up a Patreon

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
I was thinking Amanda Palmer has a few things in common
Constantly reminding fans about her Patreon despite being very comfortably off, spends far too much time tweeting/blogging/generally online, much richer partner, REALLY can't read the room, drama magnet, inflated idea of own talent/significance, utterly insufferable.
I was just reading about Amanda Palmer’s split from her partner before I came on here to catch up.
The similarities struck me too.
This something I found in an article about her,

This manic communication style can also be weaponized, especially when Palmer focuses her energy (and her fans) on one subject, outlet or person. Palmer recently published a 16-part Twitter thread bemoaning the lack of mainstream coverage for her latest album and accusing The Guardianspecifically of blacklisting it

• Wow
Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.