Jack Monroe #118 Diagnosis: gifted

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just realised I didn't say a big thank you to @Pocahontas for starting up the new thread -and allowing me to just steal the words from your excellent Microsoft paint job- so thank (space) you very Poca much, Poca.

Was just thinking about Jack's The Breakdown blurb. Maybe it should have said 'gives people PTSD' instead? Because we all know @MancBee still has night terrors over that stuffing mix soup.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 39
Just watched a Christmas cooking programme with THAT MAN.
He made a bread Christmas tree with Camembert. Five different ingredients. No random tinned fruit in it. Looks cheap and easy to replicate. Totally different to the shite offered up in the paper this weekend. Probably works out cheaper than her started and actually looks good

Reactions: 35
I know these sites are ridiculous click bait garbage but I would HOOT if a few of the more credulous Squiggles came across this.

Screenshot 2020-12-14 at 13.38.38.png

• Haha
Reactions: 35
Why do you cry?
Because cod roe go
What happened?
Cod roe go.
Oh no, I'm sad.
My dripping eyes.
Cod roe.
Cod roe go. 😭

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 106
The whole 'gifted' thing is such a load of BS. Many children are great at many different things. Because the educational system insists on having very specific targets for certain age ranges, it inevitably means that a number of children exceed these targets. To suggest that those children are gifted is ludicrous. All it means is that the kids at that stage in their lives are doing more than the 'average' child at that age. It's lovely, be proud of it as a parent, but don't draw any conclusions. My older one was working at 'two years above his age' in maths for ages in primary school. He's now a teen and doing fine. He's good at maths but not brilliant. Other kids have surpassed him. I actually think his talent lies much more in other areas, some of which he was 'behind' in primary school (he was a late reader).

Anyway, I realise none of you care about my son and neither should you. It's just a small example how easy it is to distort the truth.

My son is a mathematical genius.
vs
My son really enjoyed maths and grasped concepts quickly when he was a child.
I could read before I started school, and in infants school I used to visit the library in the junior school for books 😇
and?

• Heart
Reactions: 32
I think monroe's knitting phase is definitely a result of our receipts catching up on her, the penny has finally dropped. I can imagine she is is itching to go off on one for attention, and without her twitter anger, she would have far less followers/publicity as she is is a tit cook and know it all bore.

Reactions: 20
This is perfect. These types of articles somehow manage to miss the mark on two fronts. As you say, they never address the structural reasons (or if they do, there's never any discussion of possible solutions to those structural issues). They also place the responsibility on the individual, but ALWAYS in exactly the wrong way. It's always tit like 'if you do X, you'll get better', which is not true and essentially blames people who suffer from MH issues, because they clearly can't do X. But at the same time these articles perpetuate the whole 'I have ADHD therefore I'm a chaotic mess' type crap, which is reductive and doesn't give people an out.

My personal MH experiences have taught me that the route out of dealing with in my case c-PTSD, but this is probably applicable to other conditions is

1) full acceptance of what has happened/is happening/ is real
2) being truthful about one's own feelings
3) understanding that feelings aren't permanent
4) letting go of guild and shame
5) building an ongoing support structure, which will involve other people, perhaps medication and WORK which has to be done by you, no matter how unfair that may seem
6) being honest with yourself about your strengths and weaknesses
7) seeking and accepting help

These steps don't necessarily happen in sequence, you will stumble and fall and have setbacks. Certain tools will help you, but none will fix you - like a wallpaper planner is not going to fix things, neither is a chemical rollercoaster. Because life isn't easy, but it's worthwhile getting yourself better, because you are worth it (insert swishy hair ad).

I know so many of you on here know this, but perhaps this is useful for some of the newer coven members. It's also why JM triggers me so much. She's doing a lot of damage with her 'campaigning'.
Well said. I agree with everything you wrote.

Reactions: 13
Jesus. These articles keep getting worse and worse. This one may as well just say 'at the end of the day, everyone is entitled to their opinion, yeah?'

Will the follow up be "Why it's wrong to cancel Jack Monroe for conning squiggles and punting tinned fruit for an evil corporation that abuses impoverished workers".

• Haha
Reactions: 36
Also the Breakdown reminds me of a Jude Doyle Tweet from donkies ago: "Personal Is Political used to mean “tell story, listen to stories, find common elements, act. Here’s my experience. It connects to social structures. Those are lived.” Not “meeee, my paaaain.”"

Jack 'activism' is all about the latter

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Whenever I read about Jack Monroe, I always pause at the duality of my response: the overwhelming urge to laugh my tits off at this pathetic pretentious pillock, and the white hot fury that she makes a living writing this drivel.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 72
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.