Jack Monroe #116 Burger and lies

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Jack's letter to Edwina is appalling. She was clearly rattled and knew that Edwina had got the better of her, hence the ranting and suicide baiting.

I hate the way how she uses it as a trump card. "I'll show you!! See? That was REAL. I attempted suicide!! How dare you even mention my rich family, you heartless Tory!". It's also completely irresponsible to pretend that she survived an attempt by puking up the pills. People can die several days after an overdose, even if they have no symptoms for a while, as sometimes the liver damage takes time to appear. Even if you vomit up pills, you absolutely MIUST go to A&E. I think Jack is lying though, as per usual.

She goes on about how Edwina never stopped to think how Jack's family would feel regarding merely mentioning her (rich) grandfather. It's funny how Jack never stops to think for a split second how her family feel when she lies about about overdosing in the bathroom, while totally alone, with no one to pretend to.
Except her rich and supportive family round the corner, not to mention the dutiful father of her child. How does she think her family feel, when she talks of being all alone, starving, cold and in grinding poverty? Everyone who knows her family must be thinking how evil they are for not helping, when they can so clearly afford to.

Jack's mother has confirmed that help was offered, and Jack declined, wanting to stand on her own two feet. I think that's why Jack makes such a fuss of how she hid her "poverty" from everyone due to "shame". I think that's part of the narrative she feeds her family, when they inevitably ask why didn't she just call them.

Back to the letter, it shows how snobby she is. Saying "drinking Aldi lemonade in my grandfather's guesthouse" is hilarious. Only Hyacinth Bucket would give a tit about the brand of lemonade. As though the cheap brand of lemonade makes her a real pov, and negates the fact that her grandfather had a guesthouse that she was swanning about in. (Jack scholars, is there any evidence that he actually had multiple guesthouses by the way?)

Also when she said crying with her baby, wondering how it had all come to this. "This" being on benefits - the way that many working class people have lived all their lives. She obviously thinks that that was a terrible, terrible fate for someone of her standing to fall to.

She came tremendously close to admitting that her family where middle class when she said, they weren't poor but they weren't rich.

I think she's been insecure about being middle class her whole life, and her life's ambition was to be poor and working class.

A final aside, if what she claimed in thread 31 about being diagnosed with autism, aged 11, by an educational psychologist who came to her house is true (it's not - educational psychologists are not qualified to assess autism), then how comes she wasn't already on Disablity Living Allowance? It's not/wasn't means tested, so even when she was earning $27000 a year thanks to Daddy, she should have already been on it. Even if she had never felt the need to go on DLA, when the poverty came, a diagnosis should have made it a lot easier to get a larger amount of benefits. But obviously, none of it is true anyway.

Edit: just to be clear I'm not saying that getting benefits is ever easy, or that a disability is a benefits passport. But this was 8/9 years ago when things where different, it was quite a bit easier before PIP, and not being means tested, DLA is quite a stable benefit to have for a life-long condition. A confirmed disability would have given her access to ESA etc and combined with DLA, that's a decent amount.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Heart
Reactions: 29
Um, the Del Monte thing she is so proud of HAS NOT BEEN MENTIONED ON TWITTER.
Also, she's switched off comments on IG.
It is almost like she's trying to control the narrative and therefore stop her new employers from finding out she's dodgy as duck
Hellmann's was never mentioned on Twitter, so I guess they must be Instagram-only deals. ££.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 41
#CanDemonium #CanDemic #feeltheTINpact

Admittedly not great but at least not ripping off a social justice slogan 😂 Although that won't be Jack's doing...

• Haha
Reactions: 35
View attachment 340847

Stop me if I'm being a proper snowflake and stuff, but is anyone else a bit uncomfortable at appropriating the phrase 'yes we can'? I know it's become a vague nothing slogan now, and I'm certainly no fan of Obama's legacy, but at the time it was a rallying call for equality and racial justice. To downgrade it to a terrible pun about cooking with bleeping cans just seems really...cheap?
You are absolutely right (absolutely x) and I am not very snowflakey.
I find it tasteless (not sure if pun intented or not)

• Heart
Reactions: 26
Del Monte pineapple slices 38.5p - 46p per 100g
Aldi 24.6p per 100g
Morrison 19.2p
Tesco 30.9p

Go Jack! You've not sold out at all.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 62
Please shout me down if you don’t agree with what I say here but....

I just watched the news and saw that my area has the highest number of children in conditions of destitution. They interviewed a mother who used a food bank and who was obviously on her knees financially and socially. I can’t help but think that all this social media preening by Jack (and others) is just for their middle class sycophants. This mum doesn’t need an Instagram account telling her how to use tinned peaches in an imaginative way. That is risky for someone who is tired and at the edge of their tether; they just want simple food that they know their kids will eat. A can of beans= beans on toast, tinned fruit=put in 50p blocks of jelly.

All this cooking on a budget is merely back slapping by the left wing middle class chatterati. They want to show they are doing something while the gap between the have and have nots widens with every day that passes.

• Heart
Reactions: 100
Scotsman columnists win Zero Tolerance Awards | The Scotsman

I think it is fair to say that Edwina rather got under her skin. 'Mummy' said her piece in a written response the next day, 4th February 2014.

Dear Edwina,

It’s 9 o'clock on Tuesday, the morning after the night before, where we were both on a panel on The Big Benefits Row on Channel 5. I haven’t watched it back, I was there, and know what I look like when I’m angry.

I need to get this out – because it’s everything I wanted to say last night but couldn’t, as I kept being rudely shouted over by you. Honestly, my three year old behaves better than that. At least he knows that when Mummy does her ‘will you just be QUIET and LISTEN to me’ then the best thing to do is to stop running your mouth and let Mummy say her piece.

But you didn’t. Because you were terrified of what I had to say.

I wanted to say, when asked by Matthew Wright, that poverty is almost indescribable to someone as blinkered as you. That turning off the fridge because it’s empty anyway, that sitting across the table from your young son enviously staring down his breakfast, having freezing cold showers and putting your child to bed in god knows how many layers of clothes in the evening – it’s distressing. Depressing. Destabilising.

Sure – you could probably live on benefits for a week to ‘prove it could be done’. But imagine living for 11 weeks with no housing benefit, because of ‘delays’. Imagine those 77 days of being chased for rent that you can’t pay, ignoring the phone, ignoring the door, drawing the curtains so the bailiffs can’t see that you’re home, cradling your son to your chest and sobbing that this is where it’s all ended up. It feels endless. Hopeless. Cold. Wet. Day after day of ‘no’. No we aren’t looking for staff. No there isn’t anything else to eat. No I can’t put the heating on. No I haven’t got any money to pay my rent arrears. No, no, no,

Sitting on the bathroom floor vomiting up the paracetamol and sleeping pills I took to try to end my own life – that wasn’t, as you hissed in an aside, “a rich girl pretending to be poor.” I was alone, with nobody to ‘pretend’ to. I didn’t write about my suicide attempts, because I was scared that if anyone knew how bad things were, I would lose my son. There was a lot I didn’t write about. You become adept at keeping up appearances, at smiling and saying you’re fine. It was almost a year before I was referred to a food bank for help, almost a year of searching for work, holding my home and my son together at the seams with an iron will. And all those ‘no’s.

When you descend into personal attacks against your opponent, it is because you have no political argument left.

When you tweet your opponent's grandfather's obituary all over the internet in a foul attempt at smearing their reputation, it is because you are scum.

Did you stop to think for one moment how you might have made my family feel? My nan, my mum, my dad, all people who dearly love the man whose life and death you used in a live television debate last night to try to unsettle your opponent? Of course you didn’t.

I was asked to sell my life rights to a movie director last week. I refused on two counts.

1. I’m not that interesting. As proved by you, when the biggest scandal you can dig up is that I used to drink Aldi lemonade with my grandad at his guest house.

2. I’m not an island. My life is interwoven with complex relationships, as are all of ours. Having been subjected to professional trolling for over a year now, I would never put my family through those levels of abuse. I get death threats. Rape threats. Personal attacks on my weight, appearance, sexuality, education, lack thereof. So I try to retain a degree of privacy, for the ordinary people on the periphery of the right wing media monstering of Jack Monroe. If you love someone, you don’t throw them into a bear pit.

If you’d have been willing to listen, you’d have realised how spectacularly you missed the point.

Poverty can happen to anyone. That’s why I unsettle you and your cronies. Because the Tory party rhetoric of ‘work hard and get on’ can fall apart in the blink of an eyelid. I worked hard. I got on. And I still spent a year and a half scrabbling around in a festering pit of depression, joblessness, benefit delays and suspensions, hunger, and the entrenching, gut wrenching fear that I was failing as a parent.

I’ve never claimed anywhere that my family were “poor”. They weren’t “rich” either. I’m not really sure what they were, which I guess makes them quite ordinary. As a child, I had dinner on the table and always had clean clothes. We had a holiday a year in a caravan in Devon or Yorkshire, and the occasional foray to Ireland.

I went to a grammar school, not with any coaching or private tuition, I just sat the entrance exam aged 10 and was offered a place. It was hardly Eton. I struggled at that school, grades gradually getting worse each year, until I dropped out with not enough GCSEs to take A Levels. I went to work, in a shop, at the age of 16. No degree, no Oxbridge education, no feet on ladders, no family business to inherit – just me and about £5.85 an hour.

But thank you, for giving me the opportunity to set the record straight about my upbringing live on air.

Thank you for showing your party to be the nasty, out of touch, gutter-scraping worms that they are.

Thank you for the extra 5,000 supporters I’ve had on Twitter, my blog, personal emails since your revolting attack.

And I ultimately feel very sad for you. Sad that you can say on television, without an ounce of remorse, that people should be starving in Britain. Sad that you cannot see beyond party battle lines to the real human pain and suffering up and down the country. Because it’s easier to talk in statistics and sound bites than it is to hear one persons story. It’s easier to shout down than to have to hear what poverty is like in Britain.

As for your little hissed aside when the cameras stopped rolling: “Still working for Sainsburys are you?” Yes, I am. The ad campaign runs for another couple of days. I guess I ‘worked hard and got on.’

My mum wants you to apologise, by the way. Are you woman enough?

Jack

Please help me! I don’t know whether this was written by a Frau or by Jack herself!!

• Haha
Reactions: 21
I can't wait to see what fruity monstrosities Jack comes up with. I bet she's been on slopbot for inspo.

• Haha
Reactions: 22
once again, it's ridiculously early, but... in tribute to the style critic squiggle the other day and her triumphant return to corporate sponsorship

thread title Jack Monroe #117 Del Monte Trotter

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 64
Well that’s possibly the most hits that site has had in a few seconds!View attachment 340818
She looks like herself, if that makes sense? £10,000 going to magic breakfast though which is cool.
I absolutely cannot wait to see what hideous, affront-to-creation, abomination she‘ll invent using tinned fruit cocktail. 🤣🤢

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 19
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.