Jack Monroe #112 Is that it? IS THAT IT

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I can't imagine Jack's passwords being too difficult to guess, probably Cooper123 or something #boomer
She's probably using a combination of the word poverty and the letters she's added after her name to really stick it to the banks.

• Haha
Reactions: 31
Like a friend of mine who, despite being in her mid thirties, periodically deactivates her FB to see how long it takes people to notice :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I have a friend in her 40s who constantly posts passive aggressive quotes then deletes them an hour or two later when she’s had her fill of, “U ok hun?” :sleep:

• Haha
Reactions: 36

To which JM replied thankyou

(sorry I don't know how to screen shot:cry:)
She does understand she's not actually alone 24/7 with a 3 year old, which is what the article is focusing on?

Does she ever move on or develop her thinking or responses to things at all? Maybe it's me, but I really enjoy spending time with my pre teen children. I found their younger years nightmarish and hideous if I am honest (though they will never know this), but now they are lovely company and fun to be with (most of the time lol).

• Heart
Reactions: 60
Cashing in with my views on the 'just bung it all in'/'let the buns prove for as long as possible' - it just ignores some of the basic rules and principles of cooking. No, saying to use a specific herb in a recipe isn't some exclusionary tactic aimed to keep the working class out of cookery, it's to improve the flavour profile of a dish. That's what made me laugh about her attitudes towards fresh lemons on DKL. If on a budget, I would routinely buy fresh lemons over vinegar. Chucking in any old herb or spice isn't a useful piece of advice, it just makes food taste horrible. It reminds me of a girl I used to live with who, God love her, was an awful cook. She was exactly the sort of person who would be in Jack's target audience - on a strict budget and perhaps wants to learn how to cook, albeit with limited resources. The thing is, it takes someone with great catering knowledge to be able to break down the cooking process at that level. You really have to know your stuff to understand alternative cooking methods, flavour profiles and preparation techniques with limited utensils. On some levels, the 'well just chuck it all in and cook it for eternity' isn't the empowering message she thinks it is. Cookery involves both art and science, and once you begin to appreciate that, only then do you improve. Any fool can just chuck whatever is lying around into a slow cooker and hope for the best. That isn't educational and it isn't fulfilling.

• Heart
Reactions: 53
She was probably just that annoying kid who followed the others around the playground, and they told her to go away.

The GQ thing is really odd. It just doesn't fit their 'brand' to have someone rinsing beans. There's so many other things they could have done with Marcus to highlight his incredible work in a fun way, and yet that's what they decided on?
I think that's ~why~ they chose her. Out of comfort zone so picked the first povo they could think of?
~~~~~~~

• Heart
Reactions: 22
If she's rationing butter everything she makes will be dry. I can tell her a trade secret many supermarkets have ready to roll and bake cinnamon bun ingredients.
I think there like 2 pounds. You're welcome.

Just had a look at the pictures they look as dense a stone's. Her stomach will know when she's ate them.
Bib not gonna happen

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Cashing in with my views on the 'just bung it all in'/'let the buns prove for as long as possible' - it just ignores some of the basic rules and principles of cooking. No, saying to use a specific herb in a recipe isn't some exclusionary tactic aimed to keep the working class out of cookery, it's to improve the flavour profile of a dish. That's what made me laugh about her attitudes towards fresh lemons on DKL. If on a budget, I would routinely buy fresh lemons over vinegar. Chucking in any old herb or spice isn't a useful piece of advice, it just makes food taste horrible. It reminds me of a girl I used to live with who, God love her, was an awful cook. She was exactly the sort of person who would be in Jack's target audience - on a strict budget and perhaps wants to learn how to cook, albeit with limited resources. The thing is, it takes someone with great catering knowledge to be able to break down the cooking process at that level. You really have to know your stuff to understand alternative cooking methods, flavour profiles and preparation techniques with limited utensils. On some levels, the 'well just chuck it all in and cook it for eternity' isn't the empowering message she thinks it is. Cookery involves both art and science, and once you begin to appreciate that, only then do you improve. Any fool can just chuck whatever is lying around into a slow cooker and hope for the best. That isn't educational and it isn't fulfilling.
Yes.

The lemons get me too.

Fresh lemon juice can add so much to many dishes - salad, soup, fish. But JM makes out that only snobby twats would waste money on fresh lemons :(

Because if you are poor you must survive on stewed yellow sticker slop and fresh, tasty, textured food is Not Allowed.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 41
Just looked on Tesco at that most exclusive of items the fresh lemon. You can get them from as little as 14p a lemon. Maybe not a priority item if you're really on the bones of your arse but hardly a crate of champagne.

Screenshot 2020-11-29 at 11.43.04.png

• Haha
Reactions: 46
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.