Jack Monroe #109 Jack Monroe’s network bandwidth is low

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
You know what? I am still fuming over the "can't afford" butter stuff. And the £20 shop stuff in general.

She could afford butter, she just didn't want to spend the money on butter. That's NOT THE SAME.

Let's be honest - I'm sure many of us have said we "can't afford" something, as a shorthand for, "I have money, but I don't want to spend it on this."

HOWEVER, we aren't the ones promoting ourselves PROFESSIONALLY as thrifty and poor, and taking money off people who can ill-afford to spend it, who share what little they have because they believe Jack is properly skint.
She is not skint, yet she uses the evocative language of someone who is, which tugs on people's heartstrings. And that makes me so cross. I bleeping ate her poverty cosplay.

I know this has all been said a million times before, far more eloquently than I could ever manage, but still. I think this is one of the main reasons she mades me so angry.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 70
Cauliflower mac 'n cheese - invented it, mate. (This is tedious, but Jamie published a recipe in his 30 minute meals in 2010. And he didn't claim then to have invented it - probably because he didn't. )
Might be a coincidence but I follow JO on fbk and 40mins ago they posted his video for cauliflower mac and cheese...???!!!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 29
Well, yesterday's little hissy fit combined with the £20 food shop has had its intended effect: she's up to 369 Patreons, it's almost as if there's a pattern that fits... 🧐
I’ve said this before, it’s a Sunday thing. She hits the grift hard over the weekend.

There was a time, over the summer, when she dipped below 300, so she’s doing well.

• Sad
Reactions: 31
The cut off for UC is £6K not £16K. I helped my neighbour with her finances, including helping her apply for UC
£6k is the lower limit so if you have savings over £6k you'll still get UC but with deductions made to take account of your savings. Once you hit £16k it cuts off completely.

Reactions: 28
Hi team, first time poster. I'm the squig who seemingly went 'awful quiet' but actually just has to go to work to earn my money like a normal poor. She remarkably hasn't blocked me yet, which I think means she's gearing up for another feeble attempt at a pile-on. If so, I'll disappear off here again - know the rules about interaction, and she's bloody well asking for it.

She'll declare me a troll or a bully, but I'm just what she hates the most - just a normal person who has seen through her bullshit! I actually never respond to anything on Twitter and instead just use it to passively observe but she is so rude, dishonest and hypocritical that she's worn me down. She isn't fit for a career in the spotlight because she evidently can't cope with it. That's fine - neither could I.

Anyway - love your work x

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 227
I think we mentioned this before, but she deleted her Patreon post where she asked people not to chase her for their rewards on Twitter, where people could see.

She has updated Patreon with three posts today.

Screenshot 2020-11-23 at 17.36.59.png

Screenshot 2020-11-23 at 17.37.08.png

Screenshot 2020-11-23 at 17.37.14.png

I sincerely hope that her patrons are getting all the rewards they paid for.

I'd love to know what that Thrifty Shades of Beige post says. The cards were supposed to be sent out WEEKLY and were the ones she posted out today the first lot? That tier was introduced in early October, over 6 weeks ago, so she's maybe behind? She probably should have given a date that she was going to start doing this, rather let people sit and wait.

From Patreon: "Welcome to the ThriftyShadesOfBeige club - a limited number of double sided, premium thickness, A5 recipe cards with full colour photographs. The recipes will be brand new and will not be published on my website for at least two months after being sent to backers, if at all. Featuring brand new recipes and photographs for comfort food classics and reimagined childhood favourites, this idea was born of a Twitter musing one evening and the phenomenal reaction to it made me think I didn't want to wait to get it going! Ah, ADHD, it's a blessing and a curse! The price you see on this tier is a monthly charge, but cards will be posted weekly to UK backers, and monthly to overseas backers. Really looking forward to sharing all my faves with you all!"

Let's keep an eye on Twitter in the next few days, to see what the rewards look like. 😄

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 55
That first pic is a good example of one of the squiggle traits I dislike most. You see it often, the way they will take shots at each other to gain favour with her. There are many of her followers that are sweet and well-meaning but a large number also that are just bloody foul individuals, desperate to be noticed and smiled upon by her.
Yes! I don’t think Jack would even flounce at the mere mention of beer. I had to see a Counsellor through work and I told him I was a recovering alcoholic...he said that that was a real shame because I’d probably feel a lot better if I could go out and get bleezing (drunk) and let my hair down 😂.

I think JM prefers the ones who’ll stand up for her rather than the ones who just suck up to her. More likely to join in a pile-on. Allegedly.

• Heart
Reactions: 37
I don't see "poor" when I look at Jack or read her twitter. I just get a whiff of narcissistic cheap skate. I have so many questions: like the job with the fire service not offering flexible working: large organisation like this are legally obliged to offer flexible family friendly shift patterns. I was a senior manager in a public service and we ensured that these conditions were met, especially when parents were single. Fixed rest days, flexible hours, childcare vouchers, time to care for sick children or attend appointments, we weren't perfect but we had so many working parents in all different jobs, operational and civilian roles. Larger organisations find it easier to provide this. Jack's version just doesn't sit right with me, maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't believe it.

• Heart
Reactions: 55
£6k is the lower limit so if you have savings over £6k you'll still get UC but with deductions made to take account of your savings. Once you hit £16k it cuts off completely.
Agreed, and have been attempting to make the point for ages. She clearly has money but apparently, feels as though it's the responsibility of poor people to cover her outgoings rather than disturb that particular account. Who knows, it's entirely possible that they're also adding to it..

• Heart
Reactions: 29
You know what Fraus, yay us. Seems like these Patreons will get at least some of what they paid for (hopefully) because this thread exists.

Back in 2017 when the book debacle was happening on Kickstarter, we weren't here. So if you ever doubt the importance of calling out shady people online, don't. Their fear of exposure will force them to do the right thing, where morals and obligation would for us.

• Heart
Reactions: 79
I am alittle maverick but I have a system to help me budget. Shall I share it children.

It's called going to the cash machine and lifting ££ of my budget from it at the supermarket ( as many of them now have this service) and taking it safely deposited in my purse into the shop getting a handheld scanner and shopping to that budget. Paying over the cash at till and leaving the shop.

Sorry, it's probably so out there I may need to spoiler this post.
My tiny mind is blown :p Great post!

• Haha
Reactions: 25
The cards were supposed to be sent out WEEKLY
She seems to changed that, or is it me not seeing it? Was planning to make the exact same point a while earlier today, that if she's making out that this is some heroic effort to get these sent then what about the previous 5 weeks and every week in the future, it should really just be some sort of well-honed routine by now. Checking and not finding it on her patreon, just assumed that it was in my imagination that she offered weekly. But no silly me, of course, she's likely revised the offer to save herself a bit of graft...

Reactions: 24
I hope now with the new rules she can get back to working like normal again. This will make all those jobs on her list even easier for her to attend and work hard at.

• Haha
Reactions: 21
Hi team, first time poster. I'm the squig who seemingly went 'awful quiet' but actually just has to go to work to earn my money like a normal poor. She remarkably hasn't blocked me yet, which I think means she's gearing up for another feeble attempt at a pile-on. If so, I'll disappear off here again - know the rules about interaction, and she's bloody well asking for it.

She'll declare me a troll or a bully, but I'm just what she hates the most - just a normal person who has seen through her bullshit! I actually never respond to anything on Twitter and instead just use it to passively observe but she is so rude, dishonest and hypocritical that she's worn me down. She isn't fit for a career in the spotlight because she evidently can't cope with it. That's fine - neither could I.

Anyway - love your work x
Welcome to the thread brave squig.

So many of us here can tell the same story. She is a hypocrite who plays at being poor. I was taken in and it was the ‘ouchy mouth/I’m immuno-suppressed’ cosplay that was my WTF moment.

Tread carefully as she’ll send her flying monkeys in formation in your direction but thank you for saying what so many think 🙂

• Heart
Reactions: 62
Laughing up a lung at this typo.

In fairness my dad did know a lot about hoes which was one of the many reasons I was brought up by a single mum 😂
Jack’s Twitter Meltdown part 13,562: “And that nasty bunch of ninnies said my dad likes prostitutes. They say these things at the expense of my health” wahh wahh wahh

• Haha
Reactions: 42
She seems to changed that, or is it me not seeing it? Was planning to make the exact same point a while earlier today, that if she's making out that this is some heroic effort to get these sent then what about the previous 5 weeks and every week in the future, it should really just be some sort of well-honed routine by now. Checking and not finding it on her patreon, just assumed that it was in my imagination that she offered weekly. But no silly me, of course, she's likely revised the offer to save herself a bit of graft...
It still says weekly on the description of the Thrifty Shades of Beige tier - second to last sentence:

Screenshot 2020-11-23 at 18.17.15.png

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 26
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.