Jack Edwards #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Couldn't find a name suggestion so have just left his name. If anyone has title ideas let me know and I shall ask a mod to edit it!

Jack Edwards is a UK Studytuber who does a fair bit of book content. He studied English at Durham, didn't get into a Masters at Oxford, and is now working as a Research Assistant for a Publishing House.

Just had Jack's most recent "I read everything _____ recommended' video and rolled my eyes when I saw he's moved on from BTS and TSwift to Kendall Jenner. Really? Really?

Also, chuckled at bit at the sticker still on his mug. If it's a new mug surely you wash it first before use and remove the sticker?
Screen Shot 2021-05-14 at 2.11.47 pm.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
Btw, he doesn't work for a publishing house. He works as a freelance RA for some mystery author. My bet is Ali Abdaal.

Reactions: 7
Btw, he doesn't work for a publishing house. He works as a freelance RA for some mystery author. My bet is Ali Abdaal.
In his video on the job he said he was working for Penguin Random House? Maybes it’s on a contracted basis? I agree with your suspicion he’s doing RA work for Ali’s book.

So he’s some house master as apart of Ali’s youtuber course… they’re really linking themselves together!

Reactions: 2
Is this ‘fashion’ these days?! There’s no way I’d be attracted to my boyfriend if he dressed like this…
Honestly he is just a walking fashion disaster. It's like he has seen Harry Styles' outfits and tries to wear them all, all at once and looks even worse than Harry manages to.

• Haha
Reactions: 21
Sorry I'm not active on this thread at all but I just stumbled across his new video and needed to say this: Did he really say "People refer to me as the Charlie D'Amelio of booktube"??? 1) who says that and 2) Does he "officially" see himself as a booktuber rather than a studytuber now?

I'm also slightly annoyed at his attitude in the video, like how he acted so surprised when We were Liars was good (because if it was recommended on tiktok it can't be good?). Or him asking "where is the flavour" in They Both Die at the End? (also can I just mention I cringed at his "puns" and the way he spoke, like this man has an English degree from Durham, yet speaks like he's a 16 year old Tiktoker)

Idk, all of the books (except one which I haven't read) mean a lot to me and a lot of what he said seemed very surface level and dismissive.

Reactions: 13
Sorry I'm not active on this thread at all but I just stumbled across his new video and needed to say this: Did he really say "People refer to me as the Charlie D'Amelio of booktube"??? 1) who says that and 2) Does he "officially" see himself as a booktuber rather than a studytuber now?

I'm also slightly annoyed at his attitude in the video, like how he acted so surprised when We were Liars was good (because if it was recommended on tiktok it can't be good?). Or him asking "where is the flavour" in They Both Die at the End? (also can I just mention I cringed at his "puns" and the way he spoke, like this man has an English degree from Durham, yet speaks like he's a 16 year old Tiktoker)

Idk, all of the books (except one which I haven't read) mean a lot to me and a lot of what he said seemed very surface level and dismissive.
1) no one has ever said that 2) yes he mentioned in a recent video (the q&a i think?) that he has fully transitioned to booktube, which i find interesting considering he leaves traditional booktube content like hauls and tours on his second channel (which to her fair has gotten him nearly to 100k subscribers) and sticks to clickbaity challenges on his main channel. It makes sense why he’s doing it like that because his growth is legitimately insane (he’s doubled his audience in just a few months) but he’s very out of touch with the rest of booktube. He’s obviously networking w a lot of the newer popular channels but he mentioned that he didn’t even know what an ARC (advanced reader’s copy) was at one point. There’s no way you can be an active watcher of booktube, let alone a published author who wants to go into publishing no less, and not know what an ARC is.

The attitude towards YA also rubbed me the wrong way (most people on TikTok are girls in high school not literature grads so what do you expect?) but I was expecting worse tbh. I personally think he would benefit from a more reading vlog type set up instead of bingeing books and then just regurgitating his goodread reviews for his YT audience...it would seem more organic and less didactic.

Last edited:
Reactions: 16
@jmk426 You're spot on. He is evidently enjoying creating book content (or at least, enjoying the boost in followers and views) but there's a lack of engagement from him with the 'genre' of youtube he's now making videos on.

i like watching jack, i think his puns are cringy, and yesss he does talk like a 16 year old high schooler at times, but all I see in that is pure sarcasm. i don't think he's fully serious with that, and I just find it kinda funny at times bc of the way he has an English degree, and will talk like a high school girl lol

tbf, when he does get serious with the books i will listen properly, and I've read quite a few books he's recommended now. i think he was surprised with the tiktok books because they might of had been overhyped.
i read a few of the books in that video and they were largely overhyped like anything else is on tiktok

i don't follow him on social media, just on YouTube so cant comment on what he posts there. as usual, i still cant believe he has a girlfriend

Reactions: 12
i don't follow him on social media, just on YouTube so cant comment on what he posts there. as usual, i still cant believe he has a girlfriend
If you're talking about his sexuality I've got to say I quite admire that he doesn't feel the need to conform to more stereotypically masculine behaviour. I know a couple of straight guys with more feminine mannerisms and it tends to be that they weren't exposed to that much toxic masculinity growing up and don't feel pressured to conform to acting in a certain way.

Reactions: 38
If you're talking about his sexuality I've got to say I quite admire that he doesn't feel the need to conform to more stereotypically masculine behaviour. I know a couple of straight guys with more feminine mannerisms and it tends to be that they weren't exposed to that much toxic masculinity growing up and don't feel pressured to conform to acting in a certain way.
oh no i wasn’t talking about his sexuality. being bisexual myself, i can understand all about stereotypicality and sexuality. i just meant as in, since he never mentions he has a girlfriend, when he does talk about it i always get surprised and then i remember. obvs some people can keep their relationships private!

Reactions: 5
I’ve only just got round to finishing the Lisa Simpson video but spoiler he barely read any of them.... like I get the concept and it was a good idea but duck me do your research hun, read the books, reread them...... it’s getting sloppier and sloppier each week which is sad because they’ve got potential but this one was purely for click bait (not that any of the others weren’t but this is top of the list)

Reactions: 10
I’ve only just got round to finishing the Lisa Simpson video but spoiler he barely read any of them.... like I get the concept and it was a good idea but duck me do your research hun, read the books, reread them...... it’s getting sloppier and sloppier each week which is sad because they’ve got potential but this one was purely for click bait (not that any of the others weren’t but this is top of the list)
He can't keep putting out these book videos at this rate, he's going to burn out on reading and not be able to make them at all soon.

Reactions: 3
I watched a few videos of his then noticed every video has AD in the thumbnail so stopped watching them.

I really wanna know what he’s actually like, being friends with the social climbers and associates he can’t be that nice, I wonder what his girlfriend thinks about it all

Reactions: 8
And now he’s hung out with hannah witton and Lucy moon…. Like what? I assume it was to ask about podcasting etc as that’s what he seems hell bent on doing, if it’s a book one then I’ll be interested but if it’s anything else, I don’t think it’s a good idea

I didn’t listen to it, but what happened to the Wooden Spoon podcast? Could this not be revived?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.