J.K. Rowling #4 JK and the Goblet of Ire

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This image implies that blind women, Muslim women and women who use wheelchairs are not real women, and would appreciate being included under the term "people who bleed".
I should feel annoyed but the whole thing is so ridiculous that it's made me laugh. Obviously the black guy a beard isn't a real woman too! 🤣

Reactions: 6
“Genderless menstrual leave”? Oh, duck off.

No one gives a tit about women’s health issues. Women are told period issues, endometriosis etc. are just a fact of life and you have to suck it up. It takes an average of 7-10 YEARS to get a diagnosis. Not to mention other women’s health issues like birth injuries, incontinence and pelvic organ prolapse. Oh well, that’s just what happens 🤷‍♀️

But now periods can be “genderless”, society is supposed to make allowances? duck right off.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
Of course everyone bleeds, so all people do bleed that is factual....if you fall over and break your arm you bleed......

So what has the fact that everyone bleeds when cut, got to do with menstruation? Maybe if we are going to be scientific about it......you need to mention which part of the body the blood is coming from:

Nose bleed
bleeding from a cut
bleeding from a broken bone
internal bleeding
menstrual bleeding from the vagina

So maybe we need to suggest that it needs to be a campaign about genderless menstrual bleeding from the vagina!
to seperate it clearly from genderless menstrual bleeding from the penis!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
You don’t break taboos around taking time off work because of period pain by creating a special kind of “menstrual leave”. Oh sorry, “genderless menstrual leave”. 🤢

Only Lib Fems who think men can become women come up with this nonsense. Always done in the name of freeing women but actually boxing us in even further.

If I need to take time off work because of period pain, I’ll have a confidential word with my manager and it will be recorded as sickness - not a “menstrual leave” ffs.

Reactions: 17
I’m going to have to slightly go against the tide and say I think menstrual leave is helpful for a small percentage of women while our medical system continues to be absolutely WOEFUL at diagnosing and treating women’s health conditions.

Years ago, I would have agreed with you all that taking time off for menstruation puts you at a disadvantage, but my own personal experiences unfortunately have made me realise that sometimes, this is necessary. It’s not always as simple as just taking leave as and when, when it becomes a very regular thing. Employers can easily pull you up on it and if you DON’T have a solid diagnosis or medical help to show for it, you can be disciplined or even lose your job.

For me, I was VERY unwell and didn’t know it, because the care for women with abnormal menstrual bleeding is so awful, I had zero diagnosis and kept being fobbed off. I had no choice but to take regular time off work due to how unwell I was, and my workplace started to take huge issue with it, and accused me of faking it, because a) I didn’t have a solid diagnosis and b) my female colleagues were all saying things like “well I have bad periods and don’t have to take days off”. I left the job before I was let go, because I knew it was coming. It was one of the most stressful experiences of my life - I was already fighting constantly to get doctors to take me seriously; adding fighting my employers to take me seriously almost killed me to be honest (as I said, I was very, very ill from the amount of blood I was losing).

Obviously, the answer is to improve medical care and diagnosis processes for women’s menstrual health, but that’s not going to happen overnight - in the meantime, I think a good menstrual leave policy can be helpful to women who’s menstrual issues are extreme.

Obviously do not agree with not using the word women at all in the campaign, though!

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 15
I’ve been struggling with bipolar premenstrual disorder and honestly I have no problem with trans women. I’ve had no avenue testing my femininity and as a lesbian I’ve not been berated about my sexuality. What are you guys so worried about ?

It's great that you haven't experienced any negativity for your sexuality, but that doesn't detract from the many lesbians who have. Just because it didn't happen to you doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Reactions: 18
I’ve been struggling with bipolar premenstrual disorder and honestly I have no problem with trans women. I’ve had no avenue testing my femininity and as a lesbian I’ve not been berated about my sexuality. What are you guys so worried about ?
I’m glad that you’ve not been berated for being a lesbian but many, many lesbians are being told they’re transphobic for not wanting to be with transwomen and that they should accept “lady dick”. Just because you’ve not had a bad experience it doesn’t mean others haven’t.

Last edited:
Reactions: 16
We are so fortunate that this discussion is allowed on this site. Reddit has removed every single gender critical subreddit from it's pages.

I was on the Buffy subreddit discussing the Joss Whedon allegations and it's full of comparisons to JKR. How people can still love a franchise despite its creators etc. The irony is that JKR receives more abuse from people who are cancelling someone else for abuse!

I was banned from that subreddit because I corrected someone and said that giving birth is synonymous with being a woman. I received a temporary and was told that if it happened again the ban would be permanent. So I pointed out that in the UK, only two trans men have ever given birth vs millions of women, and so my comment was factually correct. So they made it permanent. 😂😂

Can't say I'm a fan of the Harry Potter shite being everywhere but I fully support JKR and always hope she's coping well. The level of hate is unlike anything I've seen and all of it is completely undeserved.

Last edited:
Reactions: 19
We are so fortunate that this discussion is allowed on this site. Reddit has removed every single gender critical subreddit from it's pages.

I was on the Buffy subreddit discussing the Joss Whedon allegations and it's full of comparisons to JKR. How people can still love a franchise despite its creators etc. The irony is that JKR receives more abuse from people who are cancelling someone else for abuse!

I was banned from that subreddit because I corrected someone and said that giving birth is synonymous with being a woman. I received a temporary and was told that if it happened again the ban would be permanent. So I pointed out that in the UK, only two trans men have ever given birth vs millions of women, and so my comment was factually correct. So they made it permanent. 😂😂

Can't say I'm a fan of the Harry Potter shite being everywhere but I fully support JKR and always hope she's coping well. The level of hate is unlike anything I've seen and all of it is completely undeserved.
Gosh reddit is dreadful. I agree with you re: JKR.

Reactions: 7
I’m going to have to slightly go against the tide and say I think menstrual leave is helpful for a small percentage of women while our medical system continues to be absolutely WOEFUL at diagnosing and treating women’s health conditions.
I totally agree it’s a good move - but it is a bit of a kick in the teeth that the idea is only being floated now that trans ‘men’ get periods. Wasn’t good enough for women. I’m sure they will be hellbent on finding a cure for endo next because god forbid the ‘men’ suffer.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Nobody here has a problem with trans women. They have a problem with language being twisted, with reality being denied and with the erosion of their sex based rights. Just because you're happy to share a bathroom with a bearded male in a dress, doesn't mean someone else is ok with their 14 year old daughter doing the same.

Have you never considered just why you haven't had any issues with trans women while you've undergone treatment for a pre-menstrual disorder? I imagine it's because exactly zero trans women have suffered from pre-menstrual disorders, given they are biological males.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
I would suggest you have a good read of all the threads and then come back to discuss it, because politely, the fact that you wrote “testing my feminity” and seem to associate that with our concerns shows you haven’t really understood our points at all.

The basics are that women are oppressed by their biology, therefore biological sex is important to recognise and make allowances for, as it is the basis of our oppression. Also very important for same sex attracted people, for obvious reasons.

Gender is a made up concept, and largely a tool of the patriarchy that harms both women and men. Traditionally female gender roles are offensive to feminists. Radical and gender critical feminists reject the concept of gender completely, and instead recognise biological differences between the sexes.
I refuse to type out everything we care about because we’ll be here all night, so it’s up to you if you want to read more and come back to discuss it further.

• Heart

Years ago, I would have agreed with you all that taking time off for menstruation puts you at a disadvantage, but my own personal experiences unfortunately have made me realise that sometimes, this is necessary. It’s not always as simple as just taking leave as and when, when it becomes a very regular thing. Employers can easily pull you up on it and if you DON’T have a solid diagnosis or medical help to show for it, you can be disciplined or even lose your job.

For me, I was VERY unwell and didn’t know it, because the care for women with abnormal menstrual bleeding is so awful, I had zero diagnosis and kept being fobbed off. I had no choice but to take regular time off work due to how unwell I was, and my workplace started to take huge issue with it, and accused me of faking it, because a) I didn’t have a solid diagnosis and b) my female colleagues were all saying things like “well I have bad periods and don’t have to take days off”. I left the job before I was let go, because I knew it was coming. It was one of the most stressful experiences of my life - I was already fighting constantly to get doctors to take me seriously; adding fighting my employers to take me seriously almost killed me to be honest (as I said, I was very, very ill from the amount of blood I was losing).

Obviously, the answer is to improve medical care and diagnosis processes for women’s menstrual health, but that’s not going to happen overnight - in the meantime, I think a good menstrual leave policy can be helpful to women who’s menstrual issues are extreme.

Obviously do not agree with not using the word women at all in the campaign, though!
Some great points I hadn't considered here!

I wonder how the rightful bleeders will be identified for the purposes of employment law, if people can self ID; it will be very interesting to see them wrestling with the semantics of it all, the inevitable word salad just so they can avoid using that one word "woman".

Reactions: 7
I’m always suspicious of people who plop into a feminist thread and demand the posters explain to them what their issues are, because they don’t understand. Very suspicious.

It’s all out there if you look. I’m not wasting my emotional energy trying to convince anyone of my viewpoints.

• Heart
Google fair play for women if you want to know the problems that arise from blindly agreeing that trans women are women.

Reactions: 13
I’m always suspicious of people who plop into a feminist thread and demand the posters explain to them what their issues are, because they don’t understand. Very suspicious.

It’s all out there if you look. I’m not wasting my emotional energy trying to convince anyone of my viewpoints.
It’s quite a male thing to do, actually. Turn up late to the meeting (not having bothered to read the slide pack that was sent round in advance), then demand that somebody sum it all up for you in a couple of sentences (which you will then dismiss).

Read the thread. It’s all there.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
It’s quite a male thing to do, actually. Turn up late to the meeting (not having bothered to read the slide pack that was sent round in advance), then demand that somebody sum it all up for you in a couple of sentences (which you will then dismiss).

I’ve seen men do this on Mumsnet over and over and over.

Men trolling on MN also LOVE pretending to be lesbians 🤔

Reactions: 16

Also another male thing to do - extrapolate individual experience. 'I don't know why you have a problem, I've never experienced any of the problems you're talking about!!!!' They really need to start teaching like, basic stats in schools.

Reactions: 20
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.