J.K. Rowling #4 JK and the Goblet of Ire

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
One of the main reason I'm doing a PhD is so I can avoid the Miss/Mrs/Ms thing and just be Dr.
Not going to lie, that was one of the reasons I did mine too 😂 there’s much worse reasons to do a PhD to be honest 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
I know this is off on a tangent.. How do you formally address transwomen or men who are using female pronouns like Eddie Izzard?

Miss E. Izzard, unmarried
Mrs E. Izzard Married
Ms E. Izzard divorced (I know officially this isnt true...but it does tend to be how its interpreted! )

Or do we go along the lines of the french and address her as Madame E. Izzard, as she is someone of a mature age?

I have resented my entire life the fact that men can get away on official documents, and bank cards etc with the neutral Mr, when I have to define myself in some way as married or unmarried? When i was younger I tried so hard to use Ms or just my first name and surname, but.....Ive given up now!
Mx is meant to be the gender neutral term. Otherwise I guess it would be Miss because Eddie identifies as a woman and isn’t married? I’m not really sure but that’s how I would approach it...on the very slim chance I ever meet them!!

Scottish politics is a nightmare at the moment. I have no idea who I'm going to vote for in the Holyrood elections coming up. I used to know the Greens co-leader, Lorna Slater, pretty well before she got into politics, then she got so busy that she's now a casual acquaintance, but I can't believe someone who used to be so totally passionate about women's rights has dismissed the conflict between trans rights and women's rights as something 'as a majority' women 'don't have any issue around trans rights'.
I would think the majority do they just don’t wish to walk about it or are too scared to talk about it. I bet if you asked every single (cis) woman in Scotland they would have an opinion and I would hazard a guess it wouldn’t all be positive.

Oh dear... loved these responses below:

'The same Emma Watson who believes men become women by performing the gender stereotypes usually imposed upon women, and that such performance grants men access to women's showers, hospital wards, prison cells, toilets &c, disregarding women's needs for safety, & privacy'

'Watson would do well to realise that freeing men of gender stereotypes is a good thing, yet rewriting feminism to dickpander is not.'
What does ‘dickpander’ mean? I’ve not come across that before!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
Mx is meant to be the gender neutral term. Otherwise I guess it would be Miss because Eddie identifies as a woman and isn’t married? I’m not really sure but that’s how I would approach it...on the very slim chance I ever meet them!!

I would think the majority do they just don’t wish to walk about it or are too scared to talk about it. I bet if you asked every single (cis) woman in Scotland they would have an opinion and I would hazard a guess it wouldn’t all be positive.

What does ‘dickpander’ mean? I’ve not come across that before!
Just pandering to men and their wishes I’d imagine.

Reactions: 5
Not going to lie, that was one of the reasons I did mine too 😂 there’s much worse reasons to do a PhD to be honest 🤷🏻‍♀️
Love it.

My Mum loved getting to finally change everything to Dr when she got hers (I was 12 at the time). She also always filled out forms for my sister and I with Ms, even when we were kids, and went by Ms before the Doctorate too.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
This may already have been mentioned; I haven’t read the whole thread....

Happened to come across a clip of Flo and Joan (who I used to find mildly amusing) including a nasty line about JKR in one of their songs.
What’s the betting they haven’t got a clue what she actually said? Silly bints.

• Sad
Reactions: 7

Happened to come across a clip of Flo and Joan (who I used to find mildly amusing) including a nasty line about JKR in one of their songs.
i saw it on Live At The Apollo a few weeks back. It was just unnecessary. A shame as I was enjoying it up to that point.

What was the nasty line? Are they the ones who did the awful Nationwide advert? 🙈
yes

Something like ‘our expert in trans rights is a wizard loving author
‘Sit down JK Rowling off you f*ck to Azkaban’

• Angry
Reactions: 5
i saw it on Live At The Apollo a few weeks back. It was just unnecessary. A shame as I was enjoying it up to that point.

yes

Something like ‘our expert in trans rights is a wizard loving author
‘Sit down JK Rowling off you f*ck to Azkaban’
Sounds as hilarious as those Nationwide ads

• Haha
Reactions: 9

Yes, I saw this too. Can’t say I really liked their Nationwide ad, it wasn’t my thing at all and I found it quite annoying (although very creative).

Reactions: 2
🤬 more erasure and crazyness

"We are taking a gender-additive approach to the language used to describe our services," a statement from the hospital explains.

It adds that "a gender-additive approach means using gender-neutral language alongside the language of womanhood, in order to ensure that everyone is represented and included".

• Sick
  • Angry
Reactions: 11
Oh FFS. The genderless nonsense is bad enough but leave?
I've never had time off work for period pain in my entire life. Do these people think that this will help in terms of women's employment? My husband just said that if this was a law he wouldn't employ a woman if thought she would be taking leave every month, he'd just employ a man.

So every 4 weeks I could've taken a few days off wow! And to think I thought it was ‘just something you have to put up with.’

Reactions: 19
Oh FFS. The genderless nonsense is bad enough but leave?
I've never had time off work for period pain in my entire life. Do these people think that this will help in terms of women's employment? My husband just said that if this was a law he wouldn't employ a woman if thought she would be taking leave every month, he'd just employ a man.

So every 4 weeks I could've taken a few days off wow! And to think I thought it was ‘just something you have to put up with.’
I really dislike the idea of 'period leave'. I actually think it creates more taboo around menstruation, the idea that for that time women aren't going to be 'functioning' members of society.

Also, it will do nothing to improve the already dire treatment women with conditions such as endometriosis receive from the health service. Pain so crippling you can't move? Doesn't matter, its not like you are having to go to work and be economically useful so put up with it!

Reactions: 21
I have every sympathy for women who do suffer badly with their periods or have conditions such as endometriosis, but this doesn't help women at all. A man doing the same job would have every right to feel aggrieved if his female colleagues were allowed extra sick leave.

Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.