J. K. Rowling #3 JK and the Prisoner of Gender Stereotypes

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Honestly, I would really love for someone to come on here and state logically and with direct citations why they think what JK Rowling said was problematic. I don't mean that in a "gotcha!" way, I just am genuinely interested in a point of view I perhaps am not seeing or missed. However, that never happens. It's always hyperbole and absurd claims and "transphobe" or "bigot"

Reactions: 20
Honestly, I would really love for someone to come on here and state logically and with direct citations why they think what JK Rowling said was problematic. I don't mean that in a "gotcha!" way, I just am genuinely interested in a point of view I perhaps am not seeing or missed. However, that never happens. It's always hyperbole and absurd claims and "transphobe" or "bigot"
I admire the optimism, I find it tedious now. They can never tell us why she’s transphobic and it just goes round in circles - they double, triple down on the claim that transphobic quotes exist while never producing any, and with every double down the emotive rhetoric and hyperbole gets more extreme. It’s not a good spend of any of our time, I’m particularly in awe of @Lanavalentine who is so patient with them and really tries, I don’t have it in me! 😂

Reactions: 25
If your view is so firm because of evidence you’ve seen, then you should have no problem in showing it.

Basically at the moment all your view looks like is prejudice bandwagon bullying of her. Ironic.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
So you don’t think she’s transphobic cos you’ve refused to read the letter where she blatantly outs herself as being transphobic and where she is widely acknowledged as being undeniably transphobic.......right

I always think it’s very telling when someone refuses to acknowledge blatant bigotry - often indicates that the person in question is a major bigot themselves
Most here have read it, I have and there was nothing anti-trans in there. Go on, tell us exactly what she said that was transphobic and why.

We are willing to have a discussion here but you're actually saying nothing.

Reactions: 21
So you don’t think she’s transphobic cos you’ve refused to read the letter where she blatantly outs herself as being transphobic and where she is widely acknowledged as being undeniably transphobic.......right

I always think it’s very telling when someone refuses to acknowledge blatant bigotry - often indicates that the person in question is a major bigot themselves
That's a pretty inflammatory accusation, we've asked you to engage in a civil debate and the user you quoted asked that you bring proof of your statement that JKR said something transphobic, which is one of the basic rules of a debate. You can't make unsubstantiated claims, shout "transphobe" and expect educated adults to take that. If this is something you truly believe and care about we'd love to know, none of us want to support someone who truly said something wrong. If you truly care about this cause and want to fight bigotry as you say, why not explain how she is a bigot? Society would have never evolved past it's ugly past if everyone had just screamed bigot and run away from a conversation. MLK improved society with educated, level-headed speeches amongst other things, he didn't just insult people and expect things to go his way.

• Heart
Arguing with members, we're not here to fight, engage in a respectful way when making your point or respectfully disagree and move on. Applies to all members. - Please read our rules and why they're important
It’s impossible to convince anyone who has decided to stubbornly refuse to acknowledge JKR’s transphobia what is clear for many people to see and to be honest a bit of a waste of energy to even try to do so.

The only people who blindly follow and defend a bigot are other bigots

They never, ever can.

It’s impossible to convince anyone who has decided to stubbornly refuse to acknowledge JKR’s transphobia what is clear for many people to see and to be honest a bit of a waste of energy to even try to do so.

It's impossible to convince someone who won't even go back up their claims either.

You appear to be blindly following the twitter mob, I'm not sure why you're proud of it. I'm not blindly following JKR, I've read everything she has put forth alongside others on both sides and have formed my own opinion on the matter.
I'm not convinced you can say the same.

I literally just stated that we're open to it, and I'll say it again, provide a quote and explain how that quote is transphobic ? I am open-minded and willing to listen!

Reactions: 13

I think you’ve made it clear you have no desire to discuss this in good faith.

Reactions: 19

If you truly had basis in your libellous claim that JKR is transphobic and causing harm to trans people then you would have absolutely no problem or lack of will to show it to spread the message far and wide.

But you can’t, because there is nothing but a malignant trend to hate on her to raise the trans rights profile. You’re behaving like a hypocritical, disingenuous bully. The bad guy isn’t her, it’s you.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
When you don’t provide evidence, it’s impossible to convince anyone of anything.
imagine if christopher columbus told the reigning monarchs of Spain that he had discovered north america the same way we're supposed to believe JKR is a transphobe. "it exists I swear!!" "you're just idiots" "go look yourselves"

• Haha
Reactions: 15
Yes great t shirt so i looked it up on amazon to see for myself and this came up.
This witch doesn't burn (transgender equality) ok fair enough. Then i read the description underneath..tell TERFS to suck it.
This is stocked and sold (endorsed?) by amazon i'm a bit shocked to be honest.
The t shirt JKR wore is from a small feminist business.

Edit:https://wildwomynworkshop.com/

Amazon will sell any old third party tit, unvetted.

Reactions: 7

I dunno, this pov sounds bigoted in itself tbh.

For clarity here is the definition of bigot, you seem to fit the bill nicely.
a person who is obstinately or unreasonably attached to a belief, opinion, or faction, especially one who is prejudiced against or antagonistic towards a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular group.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Aristotle: "just proved the earth is round guys!" others: "??how??" Aristotle: "well f*** you too"

• Haha
Reactions: 19
An observation - whenever we get the odd poster like this, they charge in throwing accusations of us being awful vile transphobes everywhere. Nobody rises to it. As they post more, the vitriol tends to get worse. And still, nobody rises to it and everyone's civil until it's really obvious we're all wasting our time. But...they're abusive to us from the start, and we're just meant to lie down and take it? I think that in itself is another form of misogyny tbh. I'm not criticising anyone for being polite by the way, I just think it's interesting that for some reason we are expected to put up with this and not to rise to it and they can say whatever they like from the get go and that's fine.

I immediately assume people like this are women haters from the off now. Anyone who thinks there's no clash of rights going on - misogynist. Anyone who tells me to jUsT ReAd tHe EssAy and but but but but the internet says Rowling is a transphobe so it must be true - misogynist. Of course telling those people they're women haters is never received as well as us being told we're TERFs all the time, but that's another story. They can dish it but they can't take it.

• Heart
Reactions: 34
An observation - whenever we get the odd poster like this, they charge in throwing accusations of us being awful vile transphobes everywhere. Nobody rises to it. As they post more, the vitriol tends to get worse. And still, nobody rises to it and everyone's civil until it's really obvious we're all wasting our time. But...they're abusive to us from the start, and we're just meant to lie down and take it? I think that in itself is another form of misogyny tbh. I'm not criticising anyone for being polite by the way, I just think it's interesting that for some reason we are expected to put up with this and not to rise to it and they can say whatever they like from the get go and that's fine.

I immediately assume people like this are women haters from the off now. Anyone who thinks there's no clash of rights going on - misogynist. Anyone who tells me to jUsT ReAd tHe EssAy and but but but but the internet says Rowling is a transphobe so it must be true - misogynist. Of course telling those people they're women haters is never received as well as us being told we're TERFs all the time, but that's another story. They can dish it but they can't take it.
I kinda laugh now at how idiotic they look. but the misogyny is real, shocked women are smart???

Reactions: 18
The perpetrators of said attacks are the result of the toxic transphobic culture which JKR is perpetuating. Violent attackers attack those people who society deem as acceptable victims

By devaluing, mocking and attacking trans people JKR is sending the message that it is acceptable to do so - and therefore validating the opinions of those who physically attack and kill trans people
Leaving aside the utter, unsubstantiated nonsense that is your first sentence here, let’s look at your second sentence. Because this is exactly the point with regard to women. Historically women have been ‘acceptable victims’ of men. We have fought to carve out our place in society, to overturn the norms of, for instance, ‘there is no rape inside marriage’, fought to gain safe spaces for ourselves, and now a few men who claim to self identify as women are attacking those rights, are again seeing women as acceptable victims that must accede to their demands.

It is women who are being devalued and mocked - erased even. Why do you think our rights don’t matter?

Nobody has refused to read her essay. Most have already read it and found nothing transphobic in it. It is you who is refusing to back up their bluster with fact, with quotes from JKR. I’m beginning to wonder if you’ve read her essay, or are you just parroting views you’ve read on social media?

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 28
Maybe this will help LurkingQueer develop their argument that JKR is transphobic and fuelling hate?

JKR.jpg

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 29
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.