J. K. Rowling #3 JK and the Prisoner of Gender Stereotypes

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The perpetrators of said attacks are the result of the toxic transphobic culture which JKR is perpetuating. Violent attackers attack those people who society deem as acceptable victims

By devaluing, mocking and attacking trans people JKR is sending the message that it is acceptable to do so - and therefore validating the opinions of those who physically attack and kill trans people

No I haven't considered that, it's absurd whataboutery. The perpetrators of said attacks are responsible, not JK Rowling

Can you cite exactly what it was she said that was transphobic?

The perpetrators of said attacks are the result of the toxic transphobic culture which JKR is perpetuating. Violent attackers attack those people who society deem as acceptable victims

By devaluing, mocking and attacking trans people JKR is sending the message that it is acceptable to do so - and therefore validating the opinions of those who physically attack and kill trans people
Where is your evidence for the bit in bold? Please see my post above - this claim makes no sense.

Please also provide the quotes where JKR devalued, mocked and attacked trans people?

• Heart
Reactions: 23
She is contribution to the transphobic culture. She is doing so with a huge platform and as someone who is supposedly respected. Her words have consequences and if you refuse to see that you’re perhaps being blinkered cos you have absolutely no problem with transphobia cos it’s a bigoted view you hold yourself
No, because this is clearly untrue.

Firstly, it is sex work as job that is dangerous, not being trans. “Cis” female sex workers are greatly at risk, too - 12x more likely to be murdered than a non sex worker.

Secondly, because the risk to trans sex workers has existed far before JK Rowling ever said anything about the fight against Self ID.

Thirdly, because I very much doubt the average punter has read her essay and decided she’s right, that Self ID poses a threat to women’s safe spaces, and therefore he must murder the transgender sex workers to save the world.

Fourthly, because as I’m sure you know, the perpetrator of violence is the only person responsible for it. It is misogyny to suggest otherwise in this case.

Perhaps you can highlight the specific transphobia cited from JK Rowling’s essay and follow up post, so we can get a clear picture of what you feel is transphobic?

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I guess no trans person was ever attacked or killed before JK Rowling said anything then? 🙄 if I mock Donald Trump, does it mean I condone someone who kills him? Of course it doesn’t. Come on, these are daft and frankly crazy leaps of logic.

• Heart
Reactions: 25
She is contribution to the transphobic culture. She is doing so with a huge platform and as someone who is supposedly respected. Her words have consequences and if you refuse to see that you’re perhaps being blinkered cos you have absolutely no problem with transphobia cos it’s a bigoted view you hold yourself
I believe it is you that is blinkered here.

Please provide quotations or examples of direct devaluation, mockery and attack of transpeople from JKR, as you said, or this discussion is pointless.

We have backed up our opinions - time for you to back up yours.

• Heart
Reactions: 21

Please provide direct quotes from JKR’s essay where she devalues, mocks and attacks trans people. Despite having read her essay multiple times I must have missed it.

You can’t just keep repeating the same words without substance. Provide something to back up what you’re saying please.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
So what you're saying is that someone might read JK Rowling's article and then decide to murder a trans person? Do you not realise the absolute absurdity of that?

I've asked multiple times for you to cite exactly what was transphobic

• Haha
  • Heart
I just realised the data collected on rates of violence against transgender sex workers is from 2019.

Rowling wrote her essay in June 2020.

Yet another reason this argument makes no sense.

Reactions: 24

yeah no, how about the culture of homophobia surrounding men having sex with males?

Reactions: 11
Are you actually trying to dispute that idea that those perpetuating anti trans attacks aren’t doing so as a result of an anti trans culture??......Seriously!?!?.......eye roll
Where is your evidence for the bit in bold? Please see my post above - this claim makes no sense.

Please also provide the quotes where JKR devalued, mocked and attacked trans people?
Her 90 page open letter is full of quotation - go source them yourself if you’re genuinely looking for them
I believe it is you that is blinkered here.

Please provide quotations or examples of direct devaluation, mockery and attack of transpeople from JKR, as you said, or this discussion is pointless.

We have backed up our opinions - time for you to back up yours.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 5
Are you actually trying to dispute that idea that those perpetuating anti trans attacks aren’t doing so as a result of an anti trans culture??......Seriously!?!?.......eye roll

Her 90 page open letter is full of quotation - go source them yourself if you’re genuinely looking for them
Are you ever going to answer any of the questions put forward to you in this thread or are you just going to carry on with this hyperbolic narrative?

What anti-trans attacks? What anti-trans culture? Who are you referring to now? It’s been established your arguments make no sense and you are poorly informed.

Provide the evidence you’ve been asked for so many times, elaborate on your claims without passive aggressive comments, or we’ll just have to assume you’re a troll who doesn’t want to engage.

Reactions: 20

well the problem here is that every time someone firmly against her says she's transphobic, you can't back it up with a direct quote and an explanation on why that quote is transphobic, just "go look". Your point of view is of interest here, but why not do as people have asked if you're that sure you're right.

Reactions: 21
I don’t need to source them myself because I do not hold the view that she is transphobic.

You make the claim, you have to back it up.

• Heart
Why can’t a single one of these people ever actually quote a single transphobic sentence in anything Rowling has written? Very interesting indeed, almost like it doesn’t exist. I’ve read the essay several times over, I don’t see transphobia. If you make the claim the burden is on you to support it.

• Heart
Reactions: 31
Most here don't believe anything she has said is transphobic. I've read all of her open letter and more and have seen nothing 'transphobic'.

The burden of proof is on you here, lurkingqueer, tell us exactly what she said that you believe to be transphobic and we can discuss that. Telling us to go look is such a weird mentality a lot of twitter have, you aren't going to change peoples minds doing that.

• Heart
So you don’t think she’s transphobic cos you’ve refused to read the letter where she blatantly outs herself as being transphobic and where she is widely acknowledged as being undeniably transphobic.......right

I always think it’s very telling when someone refuses to acknowledge blatant bigotry - often indicates that the person in question is a major bigot themselves

I don’t need to source them myself because I do not hold the view that she is transphobic.

You make the claim, you have to back it up.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.