Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Miffy29

VIP Member
Ahhh I was just about to say that about Colin on radio 2 this afternoon, he was soooo cute! So polite and genuine, I was smiling listening 😂
He was on Soccer AM a few weeks ago, my hubby was watching. Hes a big Cardiff City fan and said he hid his sexuality at the football for a long time because its considered not the done thing to be gay and like football. Now hes out and hasnt had much flack, bless him.

• Heart
Reactions: 12

~vix~83~

VIP Member
On Apple Music and Spotify smash hits have made a playlist!

A week on and I’m still thinking about it.

I was tellin a friend about it and how upsetting it was seein these boys dieing alone and she said well what about now with covid! Least now they have the doctors n nurses caring for them and can have contact with family. These poor boys were left alone and locked away especially at that start.! I was wasting my time tryin to explain the difference to her.

• Sad

DCICassieStuart

VIP Member
I was a teenager in the 90s and honestly it's like night and day to how things are for teenagers now. QAF was one of my favourite programmes back then but it's like a lot of 90s programmes (I include Friends and Sex and the City in my list) that haven't aged terribly well. Saying that, I watched Beautiful Thing the other night which I also loved and took me on a lovely nostalgic trip back to the 90s lol.
Did you watch 'This Life' back in the 90s? I absolutely loved it, especially Anna.

• Heart

ELFILY

VIP Member
I woke my baby up last night from blubbering so loudly after watching the last episode! 😥 I know Keeley Hawes isn’t a main character and we should be focusing our appreciation on the five main guys but she is such a brilliant actress.

Woolmercardington

VIP Member
I also gasped. I was so wanting them to have a final goodbye with Richie. So sad 😫😭💔
Absolutely. I actually think it had even more emotional impact that he didn't have a final goodbye/death scene. That feeling of being cruelly robbed really hit hard.

• Sad

Libbylulu

VIP Member
When Gloria died and his family were burning his things in the garden, were they burning everything, even the pictures of him as a small child to wipe away the memory of him?

• Sad

vikka

VIP Member
I took the scene on the beach as him now just being really confident with who he is, and thinking “fuck it I’m gonna die anyway”. I really thought they were going to allude to his friend actually being closeted gay but unlike Ritchie he never left home so could never be who he really was... but that wasn’t the case.
The scene with his mum I wasn’t sure, there wasn’t ever mention of him having the same sort of symptoms as Colin but he may he had some sort of delirium near the end I suppose. The ending still makes me angry when I think about it!
This exactly with the friend.

He's dying and if not now, when?

With the mother, I think he was fully aware and just trying to make her understand that his way of life is okay, just because he's gay he isn't "wrong" and that he's had lots of fun and lived a good life without any regrets. So that she understands that he's fine with it all, that he wasn't wrong ("debauchery") and that there are no "what ifs" and to not blame others (his friends, Jill) for his own choices in life. I'm not explaining this well I feel, hope you get what and how I mean it.

• Heart

~vix~83~

VIP Member
This was what got me - the way they were 'dying of shame' all alone, their family and friends shunning them. The bonfire scene was really affecting, like they were erasing their existence.

I thought it was interesting how they wrote in the part about how Richie had purposely not disclosed his status when sleeping with other men and so therefore infecting them. Left me feeling both angry at him and sad about him...made the whole thing a lot more complex.
Just awful they felt such shame, the stigma is awful. Imagine being in hospital dieing and knowing your family n friends are ashamed of you!

I watch call the midwife : will be interesting how they approach this subject if they get to the 80s.

My husband was born in the late 70s with spina bifida and the stigma around that was bad, the doctors n nurses tried to overdoes him at a few days old cos it was shameful. His dad even to this day acts ashamed if they meet new people. And they don’t fully Understand his condition. Where I researched it after I met my husband so I understand it.

Medical care has changed so much and every day something new is learnt.

I bet in a 20 odd years there will be a show about covid. And how it’s changed the world.

Collin is still playin on my mind 😔😔

• Sad

TheScarletgirl

VIP Member
SPOLIERS
Colins storyline was upsetting :cry: I liked him the most he was so lovely. I did not know the virus could take you so quickly! The treatments these days are so advanced could have saved so many people. When Richie saw the lesion on don's back he knew.

Prince fan 1999

VIP Member
There was a huge amount of panic and the TV continually played this awful advert and sent out leaflets to every household.
There was a huge amount of stigma attached in those days.

I was 14 when that advert aired and we all got the leaflet through our letter boxes. The ad scared the bejesus out of me.

I'm going to rewatch the UK queer as folk after this 😊

Lilliepad

VIP Member
Loved it! I’m gonna wait for next week, starting to get overwhelmed with binging everything these days but I’m sure I’ll change my mind eventually 😂 that beginning with the Nigerian aunties was ICONIC

• Haha
  • Heart

The Devils Arse

VIP Member
Currently trying to watch its a sin after party, and the host is......extreamly rather annoying. Such a shame as i find it so distracting, can't watch any more of it. :(

• Heart

Moongirl69

VIP Member
A beautiful series. I thought they showed the fun hedonistic side quite well balancing it with the heaviness of aids and how gay men were treated.

Colin and his wonderful mother will stay with me
I thought this too...it captured the joy of being young and free perfectly, in contrast to the horror that came later.

• Heart
Reactions: 11

Platypusfattypus

VIP Member
I've just binged it and both me and Mr P were in bits. Amazing, funny, harrowing. I just loved it and by the end was crying real snotty tears.

I was so upset by the fact people just couldnt be who they wanted to be and were abandoned and forgotten when they really needed care and love. The scene where Jill took the man's hand in the hospital and he just looked at her 😭😭. I remember AIDS being scary and frightening and the hoo ha about how you might catch it. So much ignorance.

Vloggerfam

VIP Member
This 100% Collin was the one everyone loved by the sound of. He was so young and you could tell how young he was when he was in hospital. All he wanted was to learn everything and be happy. His little brown coat ❤❤
I think I heard the writer say the cast was basically all lgbtq too somewhere? Which was a nice touch

Mookiegoose

Exactly! She is in her early 20s so they know best of Course! It was a argument I wasn’t expecting I’m hoping I might of educated her a bit.
No comparison at all. I had no idea what happened in the 80s and I’m so glad I know and feel I’ve learnt so much but feel I can learn more.

So many people are talking about it, which is so good. More eyes need to be opened.
There's a huge amount of articles being written about the comparisons with HIV and COVID. Just one of them here:

The thing that is similar is the amount of deniers re HIV and COVID. Look at Richie's speech, he thought it was all a load of bollocks and so did a lot of his peers. It took someone they knew being infected before they started to believe it, even though people were dying around them.

One other thing I wasn't aware of was the amount of remedies people took to try to either get rid of HIV or stop them catching it. Battery acid for fuck's sake! I have just re-watched Pose and the same thing is shown there. Pray Tell tries a butter diet because apparently it could make you shit the virus out of you. Just shows, Trump and his drinking of bleach etc wasn't that weird!

Last edited:
La!
It's a Sin was one of the best things I've ever laid eyes on.
Couldn't not binge watch from start to finish. After it ended I had the biggest lump in my throat that didn't go away possibly for a good 10 minutes.
Might watch again this weekend.
Can't wait for my La! t shirt to arrive.

Also - I wonder did anyone else have the realisation at the start when it was set in 1981 that this was 40 years ago?!?

• Heart