Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Lol57

Corrrr what a phenomenal series. I so so wish they’d allowed the 8 episodes, there was so much more they could have fleshed out. My main bug bare was Ash. Mostly because the actor is bloody beautiful. I needed more of him 😂 what was his story? where were his parents? I’d have liked them to focus some more on his relationship with Ritchie. It all seemed a bit rushed at the end that it transpired he loved Ritchie..

But otherwise, stella. The young, relatively unknown cast were so good.

Colin 😭😭😭

Reactions: 15

Misssj80

VIP Member
Not sure if it's been mentioned already but the real life Jill plays Jill's mum in the show, which I think is a lovely tribute

• Heart

Pamellla

There was a line that roscoe said at one point and it has stuck with me and will do forever- went something like this ‘ Colin behaved, Colin was good and look what happened to him ‘ 💔
I also agree with a previous poster that Ritchie infecting others gave such an edge to his character, proof of incredible writing. It made you feel angry for all the others that would have been infected but really highlighted the shame he felt.

• Heart

emzi2784

I kinda wish I hadn’t watched it. I mean it was amazing but it’s made me feel so depressed. We don’t know we’re born these days and this show really kicked my backside and made me think about a lot of things.

Scotblock

VIP Member
I’ve recorded it to watch over the weekend! I have a question though, I wasn’t born then but I’m just wondering...the fear around AIDS, was it something that everyone was scared of in the beginning? Like I know there was mass panic to begin with, was the fear felt by people comparable to the fear felt in this pandemic or not? Hopefully this doesn’t come across as ignorant, I’m genuinely curious
I remember being about 8 when those adverts were on TV and it put the fear of fucking god into me. My brother who was 17 at the time and knew he was gay said that it did instill in him to be safer but like me he said they were so so brutal. It was different times then and the ignorance around HIV and AIDS was awful! My auntie nursed on an HIV/AIDS ward up here in Scotland she was a very very compassionate woman so to us we knew a lot of what they were saying was totally untrue but some people were so if ignorant thinking you could catch it from toilet seats etc. They would drive past the hospital and shout horrible things and even years later when the hospital became an outpatient general facility some people wouldn’t go to it as they thought they would get the virus 🙄 Even then you couldn’t educate the stupid unfortunately. The Tory government were awful as well and passing Section 28 just summed that up.

• Sad

Bambix

Just read it was originally 8 episodes but cut down to 5. Would love to see it how it was originally meant to be

Cocobaby09

VIP Member
I loved Shaun Dooley as Ritchie's dad. He was really there for him in the end 💟

I was born in 1973, remember the AIDS epidemic vividly. It's unreal how much things have changed and improved in my lifetime. Princess Diana broke a lot of barriers when she was seen shaking hands with men dying of AIDS, as no one had done that and still assumed you caught it from toilet seats, cups, shaking hands, kissing etc.

• Heart

Shesaidwhat?

VIP Member
I binged it all I don’t know whether that was a wise move or not. I was born in the 90’s so whilst I knew of the epidemic I wasn’t very clued up and wow it gave me an education. It’s definitely going to be one of those shows that stays with you I think.
I can’t decide who my favourite was Jill, Colin or Colin’s mum.
I definitely wanted to push Richie’s mum off that pier at the end of episode 5.

Girlinabubble

I’ve recorded it to watch over the weekend! I have a question though, I wasn’t born then but I’m just wondering...the fear around AIDS, was it something that everyone was scared of in the beginning? Like I know there was mass panic to begin with, was the fear felt by people comparable to the fear felt in this pandemic or not? Hopefully this doesn’t come across as ignorant, I’m genuinely curious
Hi - the fear was huge but sadly very focused on one group of society. People were taking their own cutlery to restaurants, wouldn’t use work loos if they suspected someone was gay in the office. Younger people wouldn’t understand the stigma then of being gay, very few people were openly gay. Medical staff were terrified so was hard to get good care or even any care - Terrence Higgins Trust led the way and Princess Diana hugging an aids patient changed that but it was a terrible time.

• Sad
  • Heart

Monkeybum

VIP Member
I had to ignore this thread when spoilers appeared as wanted to enjoy it in 'real time' - mostly because there's naff all to look forward to at the moment.

Haven't enjoyed anything so much in years (last thing I remember loving immediately as much was Casanova, I'm definitely a RTD girl).

I've been telling everyone I speak to they have to watch it, such an important and amazing show. Spent 50 mins of the final wound up then the last 10 minutes sobbing. Colin's episode completely broke me 😭

Already planning a weekend to binge watch with a lot of tissues. And wine

• Heart

Miffy29

VIP Member
I just watched it for the second time from beginning to end as my partner didn’t watch with me the first time. All of the actors have something special! I have such a soft spot for Colin! Bless him!
We finished it yesterday and I'm still thinking about all of them. Yes I know its fiction but I got completely immersed in their lives I didnt want it to end. I knew the inevitable would come and certain people would die but still, it was all so sad and the acting was amazing. It was the best 5 hours of TV I've seen in a long time. Might watch it again next weekend 😂😅

Ineedmorecoffee

Chatty Member
I knew their treatment in hospital would be bad but this broke me ! Absolutely horrific. The ending.. awful. Im in the LGBT community and only my best friends and sister know.

I've also told my therapist and it was a hard thing to accept. I knew I was sexually attracted to women but only romantically to men. Im also demi sexual so it made it stressful for me. Thinking, do I fancy that actress or is it in my head ? This shouldn't be something we still question.

I mentioned on another thread, I told my mum and aunt I could be bi last summer. My aunt laughed. And said that when you find the man you'll marry, he won't respect or love you. As in that he would cheat or just not take me seriously.

Im 29 this year and I've never been to Pride. One of my best friends is an out gay man and I just want to go and party with him but its also as if I dont feel worthy. Like because my preference is male I dont count as LGBT.

This show made me cry like a baby. Thinking about if I was living in Ireland there with my best friend, I'd be working 24/7 about him. Imagining if I was in a hospital alone with no one. Or locked up like Henry and Colin. Horrific.

I've watched it 3 times already. Its so so so important. I started Pose too and its amazing.

Here is to a million more shows about LGBT history.

You should totally go to Pride! You have every reason to go, it’s such a fun, amazing, important time. My little middle England town held its first Pride in 2019. I’m a straight woman with kids. I’ve no idea what their future holds, but Pride shows them that they can be free to love whoever they choose.

• Heart
Reactions: 14

Libbylulu

VIP Member
This fabulous drama was up for 11 BAFTA’s and didn’t win anything. How is that possible?!

• Wow
  • Angry

TheScarletgirl

VIP Member
There was a line that roscoe said at one point and it has stuck with me and will do forever- went something like this ‘ Colin behaved, Colin was good and look what happened to him ‘ 💔
I also agree with a previous poster that Ritchie infecting others gave such an edge to his character, proof of incredible writing. It made you feel angry for all the others that would have been infected but really highlighted the shame he felt.
Colin was the star of the show for me ♥

• Heart

Eirawen

VIP Member
Read an interview with Russell T Davies earlier and, as others have said, it was supposed to be 8 parts but C4 asked him to cut it. It was also turned down by C4, BBC and ITV at least once.
ITV and the BBC must be kicking themselves

• Wow

Libbylulu

VIP Member
He came back to London after the solicitor got involved. I'd imagine all aids patients were kept pretty contained in certain hospitals
The staff knew them by name when they were visiting and the nurse even encouraged Jill to visit their other friends as it would ‘probably be for the last time’. All this familiarity seemed that they were all nursed in the same hospital Colin, Ritchie and then Marcus. I think it’s easy for us to forget that these young men weren’t nursed in open wards with other patients. They were in contagious disease wards. East to forget that people wouldn’t even use the same bathrooms as homosexuals at that time. I think it was Gloria that said he’d be sacked for being gay never mind having AIDS. So I’d think they nursed as many together as possible.

• Sad

~vix~83~

VIP Member
Think someone else said this too but I think it’s a show that will stay with you.
I’m thinking of the all the characters. Why them etc
I’m a sensitive person so don’t often watch shows like this cos I over think about it.

Woolmercardington

VIP Member
What I I also thought was a real testament to great writing and acting was how engaged we all felt with the characters and how invested we were in them.

It was only five 46 min episodes, so to feel that much emotion was really amazing. Colin, for example, was only in the first three episodes and I still dissolve into a mess thinking about him.

That is very powerful.

• Heart