It's A Sin - Channel 4

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Finally watched all episodes. It was ok, but not as good as the hype suggested. It felt a bit forced in places, both the acting and the writing. I think Russell T Davies is good at comedy, but in general, I find his dramatic scenes a bit artificial. His writing is very one note, he always writes his young gay characters in the same way, I felt like I could have been watching Queer as Folk at times. I'm in the minority, but I wasn't as moved as I should have been. It also didn't look like the 80s in places, and it spanned 10 years but the characters never seemed to change or dress different.

The way this programme has brought everyone together and openly talking about HIV/AIDS is just brill. My 20 year old son cannot believe Section 28 even got passed. I knew my auntie had been a barrier nurse and nursed AIDS patients and never thought that much about it. Two weeks ago I was speaking to my mum on the phone and she openly told me that my uncle had died due to complications of AIDS. Now I clearly remember my uncle coming home from offshore and never going back and suddenly him just fading away into oblivion. Things like not being with my grandpa picking him up from the heliport or not going to his flat down the beach, he just seemed to disappear. Then suddenly he died and there was a funeral then all his stuff was given away but no actual explanation. She said that my gran had heard about and watched It’s a Sin and called her weeping and said it was time to not be ashamed anymore. It just kills me that so many poor young boys lost their lives to something so stigmatised that they died alone or ashamed like lepers. And that so many families who loved and nursed their children to the end like mine did couldn’t just bury their dead in peace with dignity. This programme has touched so many people I don’t even think everyone in it will ever realise how much. Funnily enough my mum is from a Glaswegian Catholic family who always say “It’s a sin” to describe anything bad happening like if Mary at no 10 has a heart attack then it’s a sin. Or Tesco run out of teabags it’s a sin 😂
I have friends now with HIV and it's sad because there's still a stigma oddly enough I think more with gay people.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
I wish channel 4 hadn’t asked RTD to shorten from 8 to 5, you could feel it had been edited and shortened to much as the timelines seemed too squashed together considering the resulting episodes spanned almost 10 years.

That said, I loved it. Callum’s acting as Colin and the actress playing his mother was superb, so naturalistic. Absolutely heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time, her unconditional love and acceptance of her beloved Colin right to the end.

I learnt a lot from this series that I was completely unaware of previously. I’d love everyone to be more Jill and Colin’s mum, the world would be so much of a compassionate and loving place to be in

• Heart
Reactions: 16
It’s winning awards! I follow the pink palace on Instagram, Callum and olly n they share win they win.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I was born in 95, but I grew up knowing about aids, mainly because of Freddie Mercury.

I finished watching it all yesterday, it’s very sad what these people went through. There were so many straight men leading very promiscuous lifestyles and they weren’t made to feel dirty and shamed, it’s so wrong… I can’t imagine the terror they must have felt.

I saw a documentary on aids once and there was a 22 year old man named John dying of aids (who actually died before filming was finished), that broke me, I can’t even imagine.

I also watched Beautiful Thing on channel 4, that was also touching.

Reactions: 3
Just finished watching this, it was absolutely fantastic. The but that got me teary the most was at the end with the park bench scene when Jill was remembering happier times. It also educated me as I had no idea that aids caused dementia.

I was born in 1982 and im glad times and attitudes have changed....

Reactions: 10
Fans of It's A Sin, I recommend taking a look at this excerpt from the musical Everybody's Talking About Jamie that's currently on Amazon Prime. As it is very similar in tone/style and shows some similar historic scenes as It's A Sin did.

It features the song "This Was Me" with Richard E Grant (he's very good) with Holly Johnson (Frankie Goes To Hollywood) taking over the singing after a while. The song wasn't in the stage musical, but was written just for the film.

• Heart
Fans of It's A Sin, I recommend taking a look at this excerpt from the musical Everybody's Talking About Jamie that's currently on Amazon Prime. As it is very similar in tone/style and shows some similar historic scenes as It's A Sin did.

It features the song "This Was Me" with Richard E Grant (he's very good) with Holly Johnson (Frankie Goes To Hollywood) taking over the singing after a while. The song wasn't in the stage musical, but was written just for the film.

The best part of the film imo really well done and so sad. Had me and my doesn’t-cry-at-films husband in tears.

Reactions: 4
Just popping back on this thread to say this program has really stayed with me since watching it. I watched it when it was first aired and ever since iv had even more respect for those touched by this awful disease, and even more horror at how society treated them if it wasn't for Its a Sin, il be honest, I don't think I would have thought about this as much.Just because its not really that openly talked about, even now. It's a Sin changed all that-If that's not powerful stuff then i don't know what is. It deserves every award going.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Just popping back on this thread to say this program has really stayed with me since watching it. I watched it when it was first aired and ever since iv had even more respect for those touched by this awful disease, and even more horror at how society treated them if it wasn't for Its a Sin, il be honest, I don't think I would have thought about this as much.Just because its not really that openly talked about, even now. It's a Sin changed all that-If that's not powerful stuff then i don't know what is. It deserves every award going.
It really does. I remember watching it 3 times within a the course of a few weeks and was stunned by it - and then went down a rabbit hole of articles and information. Another very good film I watched recently was The Normal Heart with Mark Ruffalo, Julia Roberts

I read Ruth Coker Burks book, 'All the Young Men' as a result of watching this series. Its based on her life and the lives of gay men in the US in the 80's so a lot of similarities, a wonderful but very tough read

I agree it definitely is one of those programmes that will always stick with you. I remember gasping in the last episode due to a certain line said on the pier to another character, I won’t say just incase some people haven’t watched yet, I can’t ever remember a tv show having that affect on me.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Oh my goodness I'm so glad to find a thread on this. I have only got around to watching it and what can I say? I laughed and I cried. A superb show.

• Heart
Yes, Colin was my favourite. I would have loved to see Callum Scott Howells on Bake Off.
Callum has done a film, it’s gonna be on Netflix soon.

Like others have said, This show has really stuck with me.
Ive been visiting my husband in hospital, but I couldn’t for the 1st few days n it made me think of all those men/boys who couldn’t see family or their family didn’t want to see them.

They should show it’s a sin in schools.

• Heart
Reactions: 7