Is your adult life anything like you imagined it would be?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Teen me would have expected I'd have children by now for definite so that's different.

I did not think I'd be working in software/IT, I always thought I'd do something quite artistic as a child but that was completely wrong for me! I'm not that way inclined at all.

The main thing teen me would be overjoyed by is having a partner who loves me and financial independence. My parents were a nightmare when I got to my teenage years and I would just spend my time dreaming of finally being free to make all my own choices and decisions.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I always assumed I’d be married with kids by 30 and that i’d feel like an adult (am nearly 33 and no plans to marry or have children, but I’d like a pet!) I was never bothered about a certain career - but I’ve done quite well in that respect. I have a decent job, slightly above average income. No real responsibilities though outside of work and not sure I actually want to give up my freedom.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Nope, I thought I’d own a home and be married with babies by 30. I’m 31, living in a houseshare with friends and not even sure whether or not I want children. I have a boyfriend who I have so much fun with but he is a Peter Pan and I’m not sure what exactly our future holds. I wish I hadn’t put so much pressure on myself, I had a breakdown at 27 when I realised it wasn’t all going to fall into place. I hate the thought that I worry my parents too. Ultimately though I enjoy my life and I’m happy which now feels like the point, even if it wasn’t what I expected.

If you want to make God smile - tell him your plans.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I always thought I’d be married tall husband sportin the boyband look 🙈 n children, living near to my parents n family.
But I’m married no children,live over 3 hours away from my family. My husband is paralysed (before I knew him) so not what I thought, but you never know who you fall for. I gave up work to be his full time carer.
But I love my life, love our little council flat in a lovely semi rural village, have a few great friends. Feel a little lost now my brother has has a baby n gonna miss her growin up so closely.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I always wanted to have a child and have my own house before 25 and I have both those things (I’m 27 now). Job wise I studied business and finance at uni (waste of time for me) because I work as a train conductor now which I’m happy to do for the foreseeable. I want another child before I turn 30 but we only have a 2 bedroom house so would need to move to a 3. I try to not put too much pressure on reaching goals by an age though as if this happened at 31/32 it’s not really a big deal.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
A few months ago I found a letter I'd written to myself when I was 18 that I was supposed to open on my 30th birthday but I got curious so I opened it. 18 year old me basically hoped to be in a dream job and have a boyfriend or fiancé at 30.
I'm 29 now and own a house with my fiancé. Financially we're both comfortable, but I was always so set on having a job I love I feel like I've failed myself that I'm still in an admin job 8 years on from uni. As a teenager I was a somewhat high achiever and set my expectations for life too high and then uni and reality just clobbered me.
I think at some point I realised I'm not special and I've just kind of got to get on with life and just do what makes me happy.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I thought I would have a career and be travelling and partying all through my 20’s as I said all through my teens and early 20’s that I never wanted kids. However I’m 28, engaged and pregnant with my 2nd child and a stay at home mum so the complete opposite (I never thought this would be me!) 😂

Might sound boring to some but I’m happy and even I’m surprised at how well I have taken to motherhood as I’m actually not the most maternal person! I do want to get back into work eventually and focus on myself more but will probably wait till my kids are a little older.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I didn’t think I’d have kids. But I do.
I didn’t think I’d ever depend on a man, but currently I am unemployed due to health issues so boyfriend to the rescue.
I guess I thought I’d be more ‘successful’ by now. But I couldn’t tell you what that looked like.

• Heart
No. I didn’t expect to be plagued with mental illness for a start but I have been since very early on in my life (I just didn’t realise that’s what it was at the time). I had so much potential to do well in life career-wise but the aforementioned struggles put paid to that and killed any desire to better myself. I never expected to end up working in the care sector for as long as I did, or to love it as much as I once did. I didn’t want children for a long time, but when I did have them, I didn’t imagine they would both have additional support needs and that I’d end up giving up my job to care for them. I always knew I’d get married, that’s the one thing that I predicted correctly. Luckily I’m married to a man who is lovely, understanding and cares about me and our children deeply. I never thought I’d still be living in the same area that I grew up in or that I’d drift apart from my best friend.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I’m not sure. I never had expectations from myself or my family, it was more what society deemed I should be doing. I thought I’d end up going to university though (I did and still am there 😂). I thought I would be married/kids by the time I’m 30 which is very unlikely to happen (through my choice).

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Sort of. I always wanted kids and hoped I’d have one or two before I was 30. I have one so far! I thought I’d be married by 30 but I’m not. Luckily I’m halfway there 😊 I didn’t expect to move away from my home town and I didn’t expect some life changes to affect my life like they had. I’m coming to terms with them now and learning how to deal with past trauma that has shaped my life in a different way than I expected. I was so very sure when I was younger I’d be with my first love forever and I’m not. I’m glad I’m with who I am now because he’s an amazing Father to our child, he cares about the two of us more than anything and he’d do anything for us. I thought job wise I’d be in a better position but I’m learning not to be too hard on myself for that. I’m not where I thought I’d be but I’m happy about that

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I was convinced I would have won the lottery by the time I was 25… living a life of luxury 😂

I always imagined I’d want lots of children aswell but had my wonderful son and decided I was content there.

• Heart
No.

I thought I would be married with children and living in a villa or townhouse in the city with a really cool creative (marketing-type) job in a lively office.

Instead, I am married without children (by choice), living in the country, and work as a freelancer picking up bits and bobs of whatever work I can find.

• Heart
A few months ago I found a letter I'd written to myself when I was 18 that I was supposed to open on my 30th birthday but I got curious so I opened it. 18 year old me basically hoped to be in a dream job and have a boyfriend or fiancé at 30.
I'm 29 now and own a house with my fiancé. Financially we're both comfortable, but I was always so set on having a job I love I feel like I've failed myself that I'm still in an admin job 8 years on from uni. As a teenager I was a somewhat high achiever and set my expectations for life too high and then uni and reality just clobbered me.
I think at some point I realised I'm not special and I've just kind of got to get on with life and just do what makes me happy.
That's the hardest bit for me. Realizing I'm not that special. I always thought I'd have one of those great destinies people dream about (lol).
As child and throughout college, you think you're special, then you hit the job market / office politics and various external factors, and you realize you're just a drop in the ocean. I'm sure you're special to your family and friends - that's what matters the most ultimately.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
I thought I'd be a teacher, married by 30, living a street or two away from my mum
I realised I'm tit at explaining things, I hate kids, work in project management as I love organising things. I got engaged at 30 and live on the other side of the city to where I grew up, and haven't spoken to my narc mum is almost 5 years, have a lovely house, the best cat and fiance ever, and spend our time throwing parties and going on holidays

I was pushed to hard in school, definitely peaked at GCSE level and then went rapidly downhill. Like a previous poster said I realised in uni I was not special or gifted!

• Heart
Reactions: 6
That's the hardest bit for me. Realizing I'm not that special. I always thought I'd have one of those great destinies people dream about (lol).
As child and throughout college, you think you're special, then you hit the job market / office politics and various external factors, and you realize you're just a drop in the ocean. I'm sure you're special to you're family and friends - that's what matters the most ultimately.
Definitely and I never take it for granted ❤
My social circle has changed in a way I never expected but in the best way because I've found people who truly care for me and I wouldn't trade that for anything.

• Heart
I didn’t know what I wanted to do as a job when I was a kid and I still don’t know now 😂

I never thought I’d get married or have a baby though and those are some of the best days of my life.

I did think I’d be a homeowner but my parents never thought to tell me I’d need to save for a huge deposit and of course as a young person I just enjoyed my money and now we’re stuck renting.

• Heart
  • Sad
I think alot of us when we are younger in our youth have some lofty:

Expectations
Dreams
Goals

Its only natural I think your whole Life is ahead of you.

But I think unless your aspirations are really rooted in some reality - alot of the stuff you"dream" about will not happen.

Its part of maturity - part of growing up - when you get to a stage in Life when some Dreams die - and you accept it - even to the point as you get older where it dont matter anymore.

• Heart