Ioan Gruffudd/Alice Evans

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hello! I stumbled over Ioan back when Hornblower first aired, kept an eye on IoanOnline (who didn't in those days?) and then forgot about him a bit, especially as Alice seemed - I can't quite put my finger on it - but there was just something that didn't sit right for me. Then when the news broke about the divorce I looked at the social medias, revisited old interviews and the like from the last how many years, and was more than a little horrified. I saw this thread pop up the other day and have read through everything!

Thank you to @welp for all the receipts, what an amazing job you've done!

Ioan, I get the feeling he hasn't been happy in a while (and I feel there was some point that was the straw which broke the camel's back) and given he's on record ages ago for panic attacks and the like, the stress of all of this must be...
Alice needs some help. Relying on fans online for support isn't healthy. It also isn't healthy to be leaning on alcohol(?) and to be treating your little children as if they were adults. Also not relying on fans online openly when at least one of your children has access to social media and can see everything you're writing - that's just poor form.
And the poor children! What an awful situation for them to be stuck in.

Glad to be here!
I totally agree with everything you said. I’m new here too. I only became a fan during lockdown when I started
watching Harrow.
I was already on Twitter and followed the series tag. Right away posts by AE began showing up on my feed and the content felt “weird” almost like being watched. I felt very uncomfortable. Then there were all these asks to post things to cheer up or praise either Ioan or Alice. I thought, why? We’re all going through hell in this difficult time. Not that I was unsympathetic, it just was extremely odd to me. So I just quit posting altogether and went elsewhere. Not all because of them but because Twitter was too crazy for me.
Anyway when the divorce and split happened I wasn’t surprised at all. I read up on all the drama and was shocked at her behaviors. But like you she immediately didn’t sit right with me and gave me a bad feeling. I imagine she’s always been that way and after reading Welp’s extremely informative posts it seems my intuition was right.
I too feel so bad for the children and Ioan too as I think he was extremely naive and maybe by the time he realized what she was truly like it was too late.

What was this? I missed it.
Go to page 10.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
Is her brother her full brother? As in they share a mum and dad, because if he is then it's interesting that the father went to the brother's wedding and not her's. Also that she had to pass messages through him to the father. Demonstrates that maybe dad doesn't have a problem with his first family, just maybe her. Her use of "tell me what I've done wrong," also sets me on edge because it can be so nuanced that just explaining it can make it sound like it was nothing, and make you question yourself.

I want to reiterate I'm just going by what my ex did, but video calls can be extremely horrible and anxiety inducing especially if you're already prone to anxiety. It's like they can go round and round in circles, and there is no escape really because then you're guilted for not wanting to talk to them, and not loving and caring enough. I learnt to just quiet and not interact too much because if I did it would blow up. Could be why he seemed disinterested in calls?

With regards to children, I don't want to upset anyone, but I don't believe the child did that. It smells like a tactic to make the youtuber look bad, like hey you upset a child, you're so bad. It was just what Alice did in the video when she shouted about having her sick child. Almost like they're to blame for upsetting the poor child because she is the vulnerable one, but you're the one causing the trouble. You can't get sympathy, but the child can thereby absolving you in the process.

Again, I am very tainted with my previous experiences, but she does remind me of my ex. I was lucky I had no child by him because I could just cleanly cut away from him.
Her brothers are full brothers, yes. She did had a stepsister (her stopmoms daughter) who committed suicide, though.

As for the child: the reason why I believe that the child did that is because based on how Alice fared on the imdb board with this sort of stuff I dont think that she can impersonate her kid this well, but who knows, maybe she upped her game in the past decade. She has shown to not be ashamed to weaponize her kids, so nothing would surprise me!

Her brothers are full brothers, yes. She did had a stepsister (her stopmoms daughter) who committed suicide, though.

As for the child: the reason why I believe that the child did that is because based on how Alice fared on the imdb board with this sort of stuff I dont think that she can impersonate her kid this well, but who knows, maybe she upped her game in the past decade. She has shown to not be ashamed to weaponize her kids, so nothing would surprise me!
I wonder why she attended her stepsister’s funeral if she was estranged from her family as she said? Even allowing Ella to go with her? She’s very confusing!

One positive thing that has come from this nastiness is that I'm going to do a Hornblower re-watch. Gosh, it's been years and years since I've seen it! I remember it being the very best example of great British costume drama.

I wish Ioan's career in Hollywood had been more successful. It's a real shame.

Reactions: 7
One positive thing that has come from this nastiness is that I'm going to do a Hornblower re-watch. Gosh, it's been years and years since I've seen it! I remember it being the very best example of great British costume drama.

It is so good, isn’t it?

• Heart
I understand. I guess we all just have to do what we feel is right. No hard feelings ♥
I’m not worried about E seeing this thread, I really don’t think she ever will.
I’m worried about her being judged unfairly.
Probably a large part is just my distaste for children not being given privacy in general.
I don’t think anyone has judged Ella. Just Alice. And yes, she is ill but that is no excuse to be so inappropriate on social media.

I actually find some of the comments Ella made to be very concerning. The request that everyone loves Alice is unusual. Ella is showing a very strong need to excuse Alice and explain/justify. I find that alarming. She is a very young child. She shouldn’t be worried about these issues and it shouldn’t be her place to be defending her mother. It shouldn’t even occur to her that she needs to do this.

I genuinely hope that those were written by Alice. It’s heartbreaking to think that her daughter is so aware and concerned how the public may view Alice and also that she thinks it important that strangers/SM need to approve her behaviour/like her. That is not right. She is being fed these ideas by her care givers. Were I involved in the care of that family I would be deeply concerned that the parent/child roles were flipping.

And yes I have a traumatic past and suffer ongoing depression. I am open to an age-appropriate extent with my kids but they would never feel the need to beg people to like me or use it to justify bad behaviour. It should not be used in that manner by anyone. It can explain behaviour but is not an excuse.

Alice needs to keep her kids out of the public eye totally, not post things in the guise of “proud mum”. They deserve a childhood in which they feel safe and protected. They should not feel they have to speak up and defend their mum. It’s awful.
This is not a criticism of her child at all. Far from it. She sounds a highly intelligent and empathic child. However I feel unsettled reading her posts and really hope she is safe and in a healthy, nurturing environment.

Reactions: 10
I don’t think anyone has judged Ella. Just Alice. And yes, she is ill but that is no excuse to be so inappropriate on social media.

I actually find some of the comments Ella made to be very concerning. The request that everyone loves Alice is unusual. Ella is showing a very strong need to excuse Alice and explain/justify. I find that alarming. She is a very young child. She shouldn’t be worried about these issues and it shouldn’t be her place to be defending her mother. It shouldn’t even occur to her that she needs to do this.

I genuinely hope that those were written by Alice. It’s heartbreaking to think that her daughter is so aware and concerned how the public may view Alice and also that she thinks it important that strangers/SM need to approve her behaviour/like her. That is not right. She is being fed these ideas by her care givers. Were I involved in the care of that family I would be deeply concerned that the parent/child roles were flipping.

And yes I have a traumatic past and suffer ongoing depression. I am open to an age-appropriate extent with my kids but they would never feel the need to beg people to like me or use it to justify bad behaviour. It should not be used in that manner by anyone. It can explain behaviour but is not an excuse.

Alice needs to keep her kids out of the public eye totally, not post things in the guise of “proud mum”. They deserve a childhood in which they feel safe and protected. They should not feel they have to speak up and defend their mum. It’s awful.
This is not a criticism of her child at all. Far from it. She sounds a highly intelligent and empathic child. However I feel unsettled reading her posts and really hope she is safe and in a healthy, nurturing environment.
I actually thought the same when she said everyone should like her mother, too. I also thought it unusual that she”Ella”mentioned that she was very sensitive, so please don’t be mean to me. That must have come from her mother as a learned behavior to manipulate others emotions. “Please know that I consider Ella completely blameless as she’s an innocent and obviously kind and sweet child.” And she does seem to have taken on the role of parent to her mother.
I also wonder what on earth went on at her school where school staff said Alice was a bad person? It’s hard to believe that a principal and teacher would say such a thing, especially in earshot of another parent! If it’s indeed true. Who knows?

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I recall him saying once that Ella was faking stomaches when he was away because she felt depressed that only her daddy of all the other dads in her class wasnt taking her to school, so she wanted to be at least all the time with her mom then. And whenever he was going away they were told that their dad is doing all this so that they can afford this nice life they have, like the house etc. Now daddy will be both away and they wont have the nice life they once had. This is actually one aspect where emotionally (not rationally) I can understand Alice.
I’m divorced and it was bleeping horrendous going through it and my kids really needed a lot of help.
However I struggle to believe that this wasn’t fuelled by Alice.
Firstly, it would be very unusual for dads to do the school run. All dads? Everyday? You may see them all over the term but no, he won’t have been the only dad not doing it. And you would not frame it in a tragic way. You should talk about a way to deal with this. FaceTiming him when you get out of school/arrive at school etc. Is it missing him or is she feeling as though her family is lesser as dad isn’t visible? Where has this come from? What is the actual sadness/reason at her being sad he doesn’t take her to school? Deal with that. Don’t feel guilty or as though it’s an insurmountable problem.

secondly - the not seeing him and having a less comfortable lifestyle??? Wtaf? Why has it been pitched to those poor girls like this? I felt my biggest responsibility during the divorce was to enable my kids to get through it with minimum damage. Why would anyone frame the change of lifestyle like that? It really sounds as though the girls worries are being magnified to guilt/punish Ioan abd to back up her victim narrative.

We did mediation/counselling. Not to stay together but to divorce “well”. We were tokd that the most important way to protect your children from divorce trauma was to ensure they feel safe, that both parents are controlled with their feelings and are working together to create a good outcome. The very experienced mediator (previously a divorce solicitor for 40 yrs) said they must never feel that the are part of the divorce. The divorce is between the parents. We needed to convey that we had it under control.

Now obviously that’s the ideal. And life is harder than that. But I don’t see Alice doing that at all. I often felt alone, bereft and scared. I still do. But I do not pass that onto my kids. I may say I feel sad. I may talk about some worries. But I don’t want them to feel the weight of our divorce in their shoulders. It’s incredibly unfair and selfish to do so.

And finally, you know those comments she made about her kids asking her why granddaddy doesn’t want to see them?
Again. WTH? Some of my family are not in contact with me. (My choice). It has only ever been mentioned with regard to their own choice/behaviour. So in Alice’s case it wouldn’t be focused on granddaddy not wanting to see his grandchildren. If I were Alice I’d explain it that our relationship was very difficult and had always been, and we currently chose to not see each other but that may change one day. If pushed I’d talk about more but always focused on his failing abd not frame it as a loss.
I don’t mean to belittle having an estranged parent - I had one myself from 10yrs old. But I’d never ever say that grandad didn’t want to see my kids. (After all, it’s Alice he doesn’t want in his life for whatever reason)
It does all sound very difficult and upsetting. I’m not dismissing it. But you have to shield your kids. Not drag them into the battle with you so you can use them as little weapons.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
oh my gosh.... is that her twitter bio? I'm never on twitter.... how absolutely cringe and distasteful. Why...
Can anybody please explain to me what she’s saying about the anniversary video? It makes no sense to me at all. Starting with the by B by worse. Also I can’t believe she thought everything was okay between them. There must have been serious denial going on.
Also what on earth does Alice mean by her being the wrong race and culture according to his mother? 🤔 Also makes no sense!

Last edited:
Can anybody please explain to me what she’s saying about the anniversary video? It makes no sense to me at all. Starting with the by B by worse. Also I can’t believe she thought everything was okay between them. There must have been serious denial going on.
Also what on earth does Alice mean by her being the wrong race and culture according to his mother? 🤔 Also makes no sense!
By B by worse is either "by bad by worse" or "by best by worse", which is probably a reference to vows that you will go through your marriage together even if there are bad moments? It would fit to her saying that they are soulmates and had two kids together. I'm completely guessing here, when I saw this back then I was very confused too. The "since August 31 I have barely seen anyone" is the strangest of all, maybe she means that she barely has seen him since August (we know that for her he suddenly changed after he came back from Oz in August)? The begging and pleading is probably about her (and the kids?) begging him to stay/become the old Ioan again, and she wished that at least the youngest wouldnt have to experience what is happening? Though then again the "at least I have" implies that he didnt do something (she can hardly accuse him of not begging to himself!), maybe it's about working on the marriage or "you" is not about Ioan but about third parties (her asking her online friends or family to help, idk). Again, when Alice is in that mode it's hard to decipher her.

For those who dont get what we are talking about, it's about this post from the end of december last year. She actually also added back then a comment under this post saying that it is obvious in the video that he would rather be anywhere else than with her (spoiler: it wasnt at all, it looked more like she felt uncomfortable in this video) and not too long after this he had confessed to her that he doesnt love her, and yet half of the comments under this post were about how cute they are, that's how confusing this tit was written! And I must confess, although I knew about her september post about him not loving her, I only then realized that they are actually in trouble, because Alice was writing about Ioan between those two posts as she always did (she was even using the whole not loving thing in a joke-y manner at one point), even once musing that they would consider to move away together to Oz if Trump gets re-elected, and stuff like that, and she actually cut back the political twitter drama she had earlier in the year. Not sure if all this was denial or her way of her trying to make him love her again.

As for race: She definitely means not being Welsh, the race comment also makes sense. Her dad actually is Welsh, but North Welsh, and apparently those people are considered by many other Welsh (including Ioan's family apparently) as not proper Welsh, you can definitely cast this under racism, even if you can discuss if this is the proper word to describe it.

That's part of one of her march posts this year and a post from 2017 for reference

Last edited:
  • Heart

As for race: She definitely means not being Welsh, the race comment also makes sense. Her dad actually is Welsh, but North Welsh, and apparently those people are considered by many other Welsh (including Ioan's family apparently) as not proper Welsh, you can definitely cast this under racism, even if you can discuss if this is the proper word to describe it.

That's part of one of her march posts this year and a post from 2017 for reference

I’m sorry but that is absolutely not racism in any way. Also ‘Gog’ is not offensive, it is short for ‘Gogledd’ which literally means North in Welsh. She’s talking out of her arse.

Reactions: 11
Oh I agree that racism is probably the wrong word, just that Alice probably means that.

We are talking about the same person that thinks screenshoting her public twitter profile for her bio that happens to have her daughters in the background, is doxxing, after all.

Reactions: 4
I totally agree with everything you said. I’m new here too. I only became a fan during lockdown when I started
watching Harrow.
I was already on Twitter and followed the series tag. Right away posts by AE began showing up on my feed and the content felt “weird” almost like being watched. I felt very uncomfortable. Then there were all these asks to post things to cheer up or praise either Ioan or Alice. I thought, why? We’re all going through hell in this difficult time. Not that I was unsympathetic, it just was extremely odd to me. So I just quit posting altogether and went elsewhere. Not all because of them but because Twitter was too crazy for me.
Anyway when the divorce and split happened I wasn’t surprised at all. I read up on all the drama and was shocked at her behaviors. But like you she immediately didn’t sit right with me and gave me a bad feeling. I imagine she’s always been that way and after reading Welp’s extremely informative posts it seems my intuition was right.
I too feel so bad for the children and Ioan too as I think he was extremely naive and maybe by the time he realized what she was truly like it was too late.

Go to page 10.
Thank you for your welcome!
Following the Harrow tag on Twitter led you to posts by Alice? Oh blimey. And what posts! :eek:
I still remember how shocked I was with the letter penned at the end of IoanOnline, I'd seen some comments about Alice, but it was more to do with questioning outfit choices, I don't think I saw anything malicious towards her.
I'm sorry she's not coping and splitting up - especially after a long term relationship AND with offspring - is always absolutely awful, but will she start considering the children? Please, Alice? A split and divorce is not something a child should have to deal with in such a way, they're not emotional support props. Their brains haven't finished developing! I fear it won't end well.
Maybe Mama G was sensing something others weren't picking up on :unsure:
Poor Ioan. It made uncomfortable reading for me above with the discussion of his 'fans' who control social media accounts. That's not right.

I have the boxed set of the DVDs. I loved it the first time Hornblower aired and I love it still. Definitely one of the best period dramas ever done! I may have a story in my head where Hornblower and Sharpe met and worked together at one point haha.

• Heart
By B by worse is either "by bad by worse" or "by best by worse", which is probably a reference to vows that you will go through your marriage together even if there are bad moments? It would fit to her saying that they are soulmates and had two kids together. I'm completely guessing here, when I saw this back then I was very confused too. The "since August 31 I have barely seen anyone" is the strangest of all, maybe she means that she barely has seen him since August (we know that for her he suddenly changed after he came back from Oz in August)? The begging and pleading is probably about her (and the kids?) begging him to stay/become the old Ioan again, and she wished that at least the youngest wouldnt have to experience what is happening? Though then again the "at least I have" implies that he didnt do something (she can hardly accuse him of not begging to himself!), maybe it's about working on the marriage or "you" is not about Ioan but about third parties (her asking her online friends or family to help, idk). Again, when Alice is in that mode it's hard to decipher her.

For those who dont get what we are talking about, it's about this post from the end of december last year. She actually also added back then a comment under this post saying that it is obvious in the video that he would rather be anywhere else than with her (spoiler: it wasnt at all, it looked more like she felt uncomfortable in this video) and not too long after this he had confessed to her that he doesnt love her, and yet half of the comments under this post were about how cute they are, that's how confusing this tit was written! And I must confess, although I knew about her september post about him not loving her, I only then realized that they are actually in trouble, because Alice was writing about Ioan between those two posts as she always did (she was even using the whole not loving thing in a joke-y manner at one point), even once musing that they would consider to move away together to Oz if Trump gets re-elected, and stuff like that, and she actually cut back the political twitter drama she had earlier in the year. Not sure if all this was denial or her way of her trying to make him love her again.

Wow! I bow down to your incredible ability to make sense of all this gobbledygook. Thank you for taking the time to explain it. What you said actually makes a lot of sense.

Reactions: 2
She was also born in the USA and brought up in Bristol so I doubt that she had any knowledge of Welsh culture let alone the language. The Patagonian Welsh, I suspect, have more. (Incidentally, I love the story of Welsh Guardsmen in the Falklands being spoken to in Patagonian Welsh by an Argentinian POW!)

I’m sorry but that is absolutely not racism in any way. Also ‘Gog’ is not offensive, it is short for ‘Gogledd’ which literally means North in Welsh. She’s talking out of her arse.
My husband is from North Wales and they don't see South Wales as proper Welsh :LOL:
Back to Alice, I wonder if she has a problem with alcohol? It doesn't make any sense that she is so dumb that she would just spill her guts so often, begging him to take her back after she has basically called him a child abuser! If she has, she will lose her children unless she shuts up. She clearly either has no or is not listening to, legal advice. Just some strangers on the Internet validating her who will walk away once all the excitement is over and she no longer has access to Ioan.

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.