Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Cady1954

VIP Member
Why are people reporting the post? It goes against no rules. Honestly there are far worse posts out there that need reporting.

• Angry
Reactions: 5

Glittergirlie

VIP Member
Oh! I have searched for the honey badger video but cant seem to find it. Could one of you lovely people put it up again please? 😀🥰 ..ps Alice is still a knob!

• Haha
Reactions: 4

Ally Pally

VIP Member
The post is gone now. No idea if she deleted or if Insta took it down as Insta said that Alice hadn't violated anything after i reported it.
It's still showing for me, if you've reported it then IG hide the post from your time line.

SusanC

VIP Member
Someone one noted that US people move their whole faces very much less to speak and most of it is the mouth; they are very much less expressive with their faces when talking than other nationalities, even in English - the forehead can be completely immobile.
People say that about Australians too but I can't understand half the American I hear on TV. Must be a different variation.
How will we know when 'everything' has been resolved? Will it just be indefinite radio silence?
Ioan won't announce anything.
Is it just no more Alice, or do we follow Ella and see if she relocates to Wales?
I mean, we are hoping for a line being drawn under everything but what if all we get a fade to silence?
Do we just come back here less and less often?

• Sad
  • Heart

SusanC

VIP Member
I had a quick look. Apparently London does have air pollution but not at levels that impact human health. Bristol has 'illegal' levels of air pollution. I'd have to go back and find levels in the 1970's to get a better handle.

Reactions: 3

SusanC

VIP Member
Ignore me, I might have said this in a super-early thread anyway, but what gets me about “Griffith” is that it’s wrong and totally erases Welsh patriotism and culture.

I’m sure people know already but just in case: the two d’s in “Gruffudd” are spoken with a vocal vibration. Think of the word “there” instead of “thought”—the former “th” has vocal vibration while latter doesn’t. I’ve always appreciated that about his name, and I’ve always gotten real bristly when interviewers—people who are supposed to have a strong, or at least working knowledge about their interviewee—pronounce the two d’s without vocal vibration. When they bend the name out of its Welsh-ness to fit the tongue with which they’ve been raised to speak. It just irks me.

I’ve wondered for a while now if Alice was the one who changed the girls’ surnames to “Griffith.” That’s probably been confirmed already, I apologize. But if that’s the case then it makes me sad, and I wonder how it made Ioan feel. He has always taken so much pride in his country. He was raised speaking Welsh in his household. Some of my favorite interviews with him were conducted in Welsh. And for Alice to nab that away from him, to decorate their children with a non-Welsh name makes me unhappy. I know he must not have wanted that.

“Griffith” is not really correct, because it’s not “Gruffudd” in a linguistic context. I TOTALLY pardon Gill and Peter because they’re profoundly Welsh and they can choose whatever surnames they wish. But my point is that, Alice tried so hard to erase him from his country for all these years. She stole away the gift of blessing his children with a surname that upholds his nationalism and sense of identity. She stole away the GIRLS’ identity. I bet she didn’t even give them permission to learn Welsh in the home—because with Alice, one must request permission to be who they are and, tragically, she is very tight-fisted.
Not sure what you mean. How are we supposed to pronounce it?

SusanC

VIP Member
I’m catching up so someone else might have answered this but in case not…

The difference is in the ‘th’ and that Welsh has 2 separate letters (or double letters) for what would be written as th in English.

Try to forget about the spelling for a moment and just concentrate on the sound.

THIS THING. If you say those two words out loud, you’ll notice the first bit isn’t pronounced the same although they’re both spelt with a t h.

Written in Welsh orthography, ‘This thing’ would be spelt ‘Ddis thing’. With me so far??

dd in Gruffudd is pronounced like the ‘th’ in ‘this’. Softly.

th in Griffith is more of a blowing/hissing sound, like in ‘thing’.

Say it out loud and you should notice the difference.
I resorted to spelling because sounding isn't helping.
I can tell the difference between this and thing but Griffithis and Griffithing doesn't help.
I think I just pronounce it the right way, I can't pronounce it any other way.

ETA: I watched that vid but he is using it at the start of the word. I get Griffiv as in Liv as the closest I can get to what I think he is saying.

Last edited:
  • Heart