Inventing Anna - Netflix

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hated how Anna was portrayed, sure we all hate banks but she has delusions of grandeur and almost got away with daylight robbery. She wasn’t even a likeable personality, typical entitled witch looking down her nose at respectable people who earn their money honestly. Neffs unwavering loyalty almost made me sick, seems like part of her still believes Anna is an heiress. Pathetic. Anna is a sociopath and will probably see herself as the victim for the rest of her life. She’s the epitome of something that’s wrong with society and the sense of entitlement some people feel, wanting this lavish lifestyle, notoriety and power but don’t want to do the hard work required to get there and sustain it. I didn’t feel any sympathy towards her whatsoever, she reaped what she sowed. It was funny though how the biggest bankers in the world fell prey to her con. That is unlikely to happen again as the controls get stricter now. As for Anna I hope she’s forgotten because that’ll be the greatest punishment for her.

Reactions: 19
I think they really did a number on Rachel. I'd be really upset if l were in her shoes. She's the only female victim who pursued it too. Ironic they did this to get l her whilst studying Anna was a victim of misogyny.
I think the journalist never forgave Rachel for beating her to publishing the article. Add that to her idolisation of Anna and bam! We have a bad guy!

Reactions: 9
I found it hard to watch because of the god awful overacting, gurning, huffing and puffing of the journalist. She was so bad to watch I finally had to fast forward any scene she was in.
THIS! Every single scene she looks like she’s chewing on a wasp, I couldn’t cope with her overly expressing every emotion. What were they thinking when they cast her?!?

• Haha
Reactions: 8
THIS! Every single scene she looks like she’s chewing on a wasp, I couldn’t cope with her overly expressing every emotion. What were they thinking when they cast her?!?
She kind of ruined watching it, made it all seem a bit vaudeville.

Reactions: 7
There’s a thread on this on mumsnet and they’ve managed to turn it into an anti trans thread !

• Haha
  • Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 21
I enjoyed watching it and I have to admit I even liked the journalist (yes, her face was very expressive - but she is still like she was in My Girl, I thought).

What I found very interesting was how Anna's parents behaved:
They were so detached from her, quite cold. Both the journalist and the lawyer were astonished that they showed so little interest in their child.

Anna was completely alone.

Same with her obsession with clothes that she developed in school. It seems that she lost her identity when the family moved to this small town in Germany and she was bullied and then she turned to fashion and developed a snobbish attitude to "reinvent / create" herself, almost as a kind of survival mechanism maybe.

So she adapted this stylish, overly confident and arrogant personality to the extend that she actually identified with it.
The scene in prison with her lawyer, after she got convicted demonstrates it beautifully: she first rants that he betrayed her in his closing speech as she felt she was close to getting all this money and wanted the world to know that, and then after ranting about how brilliant she is she finally breaks down saying "I am a liar" and cries and sobs like a hurt child and the lawyer comforts her - he and the journalist saw through her confident / arrogant facade and saw the little lonely girl looking for attention and love who wanted to be someone special.
That is why they stood by her.

-> That is my interpretation of the story and Anna anyway.

I didn’t really understand the bits with her parents. Had they just had enough of her and couldn’t do it anymore? And the wine and Diet Coke scene, was that someone imagination? - I was tired when I binged watched it, so feels like a dream now lol

Reactions: 2
just started watching this and i don't understand why they're acting like she's 14? who at 26 years old ''can't tie their own shoe laces''? 😅

Reactions: 4
Reactions: 6
And yet people stood by her. Saw her vulnerability and made people feel sorry for her. All part of the manipulation methinks.

She had something to fool so many people. Then again they thought she was a heiress. She didn't come across likeable in Shonda's show at all. There was nothing to like about her.
Con artists aren't going for perfection, they don't need everyone to like them, just enough marks to keep the con going. I'm sure some people saw through her but once a few folks got roped in and by word of mouth/personal introductions, my "friend" Anna, should could get the momentum going for a while at least.

Reactions: 3
I didn’t really understand the bits with her parents. Had they just had enough of her and couldn’t do it anymore? And the wine and Diet Coke scene, was that someone imagination? - I was tired when I binged watched it, so feels like a dream now lol
My reading of that situation with her parents was that they felt like they didn't even know her - she was very quick to leave them and the life they gave her, in the dust as soon as she could.

I honestly can't remember the wine and diet coke scene - was that at the Chateau Marmont in LA? If so, she wanted to appear to be suicidal but really wanted someone to rescue her (I think).

She had something to fool so many people. Then again they thought she was a heiress. She didn't come across likeable in Shonda's show at all. There was nothing to like about her.
I think because she built up so many networks along the way (not necessarily 'knowing' people but knowing enough of/about them to mention them by name to the right people), that took her far.

I watched the 60 Minutes Australia interview with her (on YouTube) and she wasn't one bit likable ... I don't even know if she did fake pleasantries?

Reactions: 2
I am confused over that scene too.., The wine and coke was when they moved to Germany and the dad was all of a sudden rich and powerful, he ordered the most expensive wine on the menu and the waiter questioned it… so he bought it anyway and added coke to it basically showing that he’s rich enough to do what he wants and he doesn’t “need” to appreciate the expensive wine. I thought they were suggesting she got her nonchalant attitude from him.

i was so confused then when Vivienne met the parents and he was so humble like I’m a normal guy, I’m not a gangster etc.

I took the wine scene to show why Anna would look down on people like her family - how she always calls people ""basic"" as being her ultimate put down. Her dad could buy the wine, but couldn't appreciate it like a connoisseur by putting coke in it. Whereas she seemed to study wine and art and have some knowledge to back up her expensive preferences.