Inventing Anna - Netflix

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just started last night, on episode 3. The actress playing Anna’s accent isn’t that great but then again I don’t know the real Anna sounds 🤷🏻‍♀️

I’m enjoying it so far though.
her accent is bang on to how the real anna speaks but i only know this because it sounded so odd that i had to go and do further research 🤣

enjoying the series and find the whole thing fascinating - but it’s really one of those stories where you root for absolutely no one because they’re all awful. she definitely targeted a section of new york society that were desperate to be in with someone who they thought would raise their status, and even better that that person was all european and ~*exotic*~.

i’m really looking forward to the elizabeth holmes series someone mentioned upthread too - another fraudster with an odd accent! though holmes was obviously playing with much higher stakes and peoples’ health.

Reactions: 16
I found her story fascinating but finding the series quite hard going (am 3 episodes in). Enjoyed the Tindler Swindler more.

I know the accent is meant to be ‘off’ but it’s also really grating on me

Reactions: 8
I find it hard to sympathise with the banks because i just find it so strange that she could get hold of the money she did without any checks or proof? I couldnt contact my bank and just ask for a £50k overdraft because im 'waiting for some money to come in'.
I did feel sorry for Rachel as to be left in the situation they were in in Morocco i wouldnt know what to do either other than give a card in, i dont blame her for taking the chance to make money after either, i think i would probably do the same if someone reckoned they'd pay for things then left me with a bill like that. I do question though why she let Anna spend a fortune on things for so long and then Rachel took it upon herself to organise things for morocco on Anna's dime, idk but i would feel weird if someone paid for everything all the time? I think i would be wondering for sure. Not condoning it as Anna did lie and scheme but i did think it was interesting when Neff said that Rachel was loving it until she had to pay or whilst it was fun or something to that effect. I can see how a jury would struggle to decide on guilty or not guilty for the crime against Rachel.

Reactions: 10
There is a BBC sounds podcast on it.

I'm not enjoying how she is being portrayed as poor little dismissed woman.

Reactions: 9
This is one of those stories where I get the feeling there's a massive piece of the puzzle missing.

When I read more about the story, I got the feeling that a lot of her earlier grifting was actually for another party's benefit, and she just leveraged her own scams from that.

What interested me is that she seems to be connected to other significant scammers in NY in that period (like Billy McFarland). It's as though there's an underground industry that seeks to suck power and influence from the wealthy in NY, and they know each other and help each other out.

I think there's a couple of people missing from the official story, either for legal or reputational reasons, and it's those people that would make it all make sense.

• Wow
Reactions: 12
Finished this last night. I think I hated all of them really. The actress playing the reporter was terrible, her face made me want to slap it with the over expressions.
( not that I condone violence)

Reactions: 15
On the 8th episode now. Viv needs to get a life, even the translator is sick of her being this obsessive. I feel like the show could have been well wrapped up by now but is dragging on unnecessarily. Will finish it just to complete it but 😴

Reactions: 13
This is one of those stories where I get the feeling there's a massive piece of the puzzle missing.

When I read more about the story, I got the feeling that a lot of her earlier grifting was actually for another party's benefit, and she just leveraged her own scams from that.

What interested me is that she seems to be connected to other significant scammers in NY in that period (like Billy McFarland). It's as though there's an underground industry that seeks to suck power and influence from the wealthy in NY, and they know each other and help each other out.

I think there's a couple of people missing from the official story, either for legal or reputational reasons, and it's those people that would make it all make sense.
Yup and Martin Shkreli (scene when they were at dinner and the guy had bought the Wu Tang album was there)

Screenshot_20220214-104029_Chrome.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: 4
Vivian is a terrible character! Why is she always huffing & puffing 🤯 You’d think she was dying, not pregnant! I’m also really distracted by Anna’s accent & can’t work out why a Russian or German woman would sound like she’s from America’s Deep South! Other than that I’m completely fascinated with how she pulled all this off, similar to the kid in Catch Me If You Can, she has some front!!!

Reactions: 9
Yup and Martin Shkreli (scene when they were at dinner and the guy had bought the Wu Tang album was there)

View attachment 1061338
Yes, it's as though there's something bigger going on, and Anna was just an aspect of it.

It also reminded me of the total silence that surrounds the question of how Epstein got his money originally. I wondered if he had played a similiar style of long con and actually pulled it off.

Which then made me wonder just how close Anna may have actually been to ending up in a similiarly powerful position: accepted as a major global player without question by the elites, despite there being serious and obvious concerns, to anyone who bothered to look, over her character, behaviour and past.

When you think about it, Anna's story is the tale of a Gatsby who failed.

Reactions: 8
I loved it! I think knowing it actually happened gave it more intrigue. Having watched this and Tinder Swindler recently, I have zero sympathy for any of the ‘victims’… naive, gullible but most of all greedy and money-obsessed. None of them would’ve given either of them the time of day had they not pretended to be rich.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I thought this was brilliant, but I didn’t like how Rachel was perceived to be the bad guy. I’d have capitalised on it too, why wouldn’t you 🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I think they really did a number on Rachel. I'd be really upset if l were in her shoes. She's the only female victim who pursued it too. Ironic they did this to get l her whilst studying Anna was a victim of misogyny.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
She must have had something likeable about her though?
With those people it’s all about connections and image. She could be the worst person alive and they would all want to be her friend because she knew the right people and had an image of wealth.

Reactions: 1
I found it hard to watch because of the god awful overacting, gurning, huffing and puffing of the journalist. She was so bad to watch I finally had to fast forward any scene she was in.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I think they really did a number on Rachel. I'd be really upset if l were in her shoes. She's the only female victim who pursued it too. Ironic they did this to get l her whilst studying Anna was a victim of misogyny.
They did the show without consenting her on it

Reactions: 1