Inthefrow - Victoria

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Here are examples of ASA #Ad violations from Victoria's Instagram

She failed to declare this as an ad when the content suggests that it definitely is. It's a product shot, the brand is tagged, there is competitive separation (no other brands are tagged), the ad copy looks like marketing jargon and the brand is tagged again by account and hashtag.

This is something you would screenshot and report to the ASA. You can also check the hashtag use around the same time and see if other influencers are posting product shots and sharing the exact same (or similar) language in the caption. If so, it's definitely an ad and you should screenshot it (on the full feed view and the post itself) and report it.

FireShot Capture 581 - Victoria (@inthefrow) • Instagram_ - https___www.instagram.com_p_BqFubB...png

Same with this post for Dior. It's an ASA violation that was not clearly labeled as an #Ad. This is something you should report.

How can I tell it's definitely an ad:

1. Product shot
  2. Product name mentioned in the caption
  3. Brand tagged in the image/video
  4. Brand account and hashtag included in the caption.
  5. The language used in the caption: "Featuring"

FireShot Capture 583 - Victoria (@inthefrow) • Instagram_ - https___www.instagram.com_p_BoJ-VU...png

FireShot Capture 584 - Victoria (@inthefrow) • Instagram_ - https___www.instagram.com_p_BoJ-VU...png

Here's another ASA violation from Victoria (I'm surprised at how many I'm finding). This is a Tod's collaboration with a giveaway promotion that was not clearly labeled as an #Ad. Tods is the main brand mentioned in the tag and the caption, which means she was compensated. And it meets the litmus test I talked about in the Dior violation.

FireShot Capture 585 - Victoria (@inthefrow) • Instagram_ - https___www.instagram.com_p_BoFFZs...png

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
Hi all - so I reported her a couple of times to the ASA for not disclosing and got a reply saying it’s the CMA I need to contact, not the ASA. So I’ll do that but just in case anyone else is done with her constant flouting of the actual law that’s where you need to go.
Ah yep.

The CMA deals with Sponsored Content and the ASA deals with Ads.

Given you reported it under "the disclosure of items as gifts" they forwarded you to the CMA. It's tricky, but verbiage and the language used is everything when it comes to this type of regulation.

As a former global ad/media exec, I know there are a lot of nuances in the space. It's absurd, but they explain it in a bit of detail within the email you received.

Here's a one-sheeter on the ASA process to help influencers and the public decide if it should be labeled as an #Ad.

I would use that diagram as a guide to confirm whether it should be labeled as an #Ad. And when reporting the infringement, note the exact verbiage they share in the diagram to confirm why you know it's an ad (ASA) or sponsored content (CMA). That way they can clearly assess whether to address it and you can decide which agency needs to be notified.

ASA Ruling on Daniel Wellington (Example) – 3 Steps to Determine An #Ad

Here's an example of an #AD by Daniel Wellington that the ASA took action against.

A post from Louise Thompson’s Instagram account, seen on 22 April 2018, captioned “sippin’ [sic] on yummy coconuts 3x size of my skull! Wearing my @danielwellington classic petite Melrose 28mm watch and matching cuff… you can get 15% off using the code ‘LOUISE’.” Above the caption was an image of Louise Thompson wearing a watch and cuff with the Daniel Wellington Instagram page tagged.

1. The caption included the product she was wearing
  2. The caption included a promo code
  3. The post tagged the brand mentioned.

If 1-3 are in a caption and "#Ad" is not there, in a prominent position, the post is likely breaking ASA rules. This goes for Instagram Stories as well.

If you think advertising rules have been broken you can complain to the Advertising Standards Authority.
I found this for the CMA contact (to complain about non disclosed sponsored items...gifts):

Tell us about issues in a market sector you have concerns about, by emailing [email protected] with the following information:

• your contact details
  • the business you have concerns about
  • and a description of the issue along with any supporting evidence
  • the market area according to the UK Standard Classification Index
  • details of any other organisations you have contacted

Attachments

Reactions: 1

Yes. You can use that general email listed. If you want to be taken seriously, you must contact the agencies with accurate information and make it as easy as possible for them to investigate.

CMA violations fall under receiving gifts: benefits, freebies, free products, free visits (i.e. press trips). And are usually tagged with the brand #hashtag and the brand account @dior. This one-sheeter diagram will help you decide if you need to report to the CMA or ASA. If it requires final brand approval it's an ad (like the examples I included here). If it's a press trip it's a "free visit" and "free products" so it's under CMA authority.

So, if I was going to report Victoria to the CMA for not disclosing "gifts" I'd use the following format:

To:
[email protected]
Email Subject Line: CMA Sponsored Content Violation for Company # 09201394

1. My Contact Information:
Concerned Consumer (Name, Phone, and Email)

2. The business I have concerns about:
NORTHERN BEE SOCIAL LIMITED
Company number 09201394
Officer: MAGRATH, Victoria, Style And Beauty Vlogger
Previous Company Name: INTHEFROW LIMITED

2. Description of Issue:
Sponsored Content in this post published on Instagram on XX, XX, 2019 is not clearly identifiable as being paid-for by using the label "advertisement feature" or "advertisement promotion" per the CMA/ASA Influencer Guide published in September 2018. I believe the nature of this content is subject to CMA regulation, not the ASA.

The issue is either benefits, freebies, free products, or free visits. Specify which one.

3. Supporting Evidence: Include a screenshot of the IG feed with the post clearly shown in the timeline, a screenshot of the actual post, a URL link to the post, and if it's an IG story I'd include a Quicktime screen recording). You can also use other evidence, such as other influencers referencing the same brand on social media with the same hashtags, during the same time period. Zip these files up in a .zip file and attach it to your email.

4. Market Area:
Nature of business (SIC)
59112 - Video production activities
*This is found on https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk by searching the company that the influencer operates under. The SIC code will be listed on the company's page. This will vary.

5. I have not contacted any other organizations regarding this violation.

If it's an advertisement, and not labeled as #Ad at the top of the post, use the ASA online form here. #Ad cannot be hidden in other hashtags either. The ASA is specific on expectations.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
The latest LV post - she’s just not bothering to declare anything anymore is she. Maybe she thinks the slap on the wrist is worth it. But I don’t get why bother - no one thinks she bought that Capucines or that she rocked up to that event on her own dime.

Reactions: 4
Yes. You can use that general email listed. If you want to be taken seriously, you must contact the agencies with accurate information and make it as easy as possible for them to investigate.

CMA violations fall under receiving gifts: benefits, freebies, free products, free visits (i.e. press trips). And are usually tagged with the brand #hashtag and the brand account @dior. This one-sheeter diagram will help you decide if you need to report to the CMA or ASA. If it requires final brand approval it's an ad (like the examples I included here). If it's a press trip it's a "free visit" and "free products" so it's under CMA authority.

So, if I was going to report Victoria to the CMA for not disclosing "gifts" I'd use the following format:

To:
[email protected]
Email Subject Line: CMA Sponsored Content Violation for Company # 09201394

1. My Contact Information:
Concerned Consumer (Name, Phone, and Email)

2. The business I have concerns about:
NORTHERN BEE SOCIAL LIMITED
Company number 09201394
Officer: MAGRATH, Victoria, Style And Beauty Vlogger
Previous Company Name: INTHEFROW LIMITED

2. Description of Issue:
Sponsored Content in this post published on Instagram on XX, XX, 2019 is not clearly identifiable as being paid-for by using the label "advertisement feature" or "advertisement promotion" per the CMA/ASA Influencer Guide published in September 2018. I believe the nature of this content is subject to CMA regulation, not the ASA.

The issue is either benefits, freebies, free products, or free visits. Specify which one.

3. Supporting Evidence: Include a screenshot of the IG feed with the post clearly shown in the timeline, a screenshot of the actual post, a URL link to the post, and if it's an IG story I'd include a Quicktime screen recording). You can also use other evidence, such as other influencers referencing the same brand on social media with the same hashtags, during the same time period. Zip these files up in a .zip file and attach it to your email.

4. Market Area:
Nature of business (SIC)
59112 - Video production activities
*This is found on https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk by searching the company that the influencer operates under. The SIC code will be listed on the company's page. This will vary.

5. I have not contacted any other organizations regarding this violation.

If it's an advertisement, and not labeled as #Ad at the top of the post, use the ASA online form here. #Ad cannot be hidden in other hashtags either. The ASA is specific on expectations.
This is hugely helpful Gemma. Thank you for taking the time to outline a clear CMA complaint! I'm submitting mine today (sent the ASA version last night re her posts that were clearly ads).

Reactions: 5
This is hugely helpful Gemma. Thank you for taking the time to outline a clear CMA complaint! I'm submitting mine today (sent the ASA version last night re her posts that were clearly ads).
Agreed @Gemma_NYC 🙂 thank you!!!

She really thinks she’s above the rules and her wife is worse at this point, he’s only there as a tag on, he still needs to declare 🤷‍♀️
I want them to stick a massive duck off size AD across all of their wedding photos, preferably across her face as she looks at the camera instead of her bride. 😐

• Haha
You're welcome.

I'm not regularly on this thread b/c I don't have a problem with Victoria (i.e., know her well enough). I came here for Lydia's nonsense, 😆 but the lack of basic adherence and blatant disregard for the regulations that govern their work as influencers is irritating.

If there are real violations, they should be reported because most of these women know better. If they've been at it for a year or more... they absolutely know better.

Last edited:
I did already report her to the ASA but just reported to the CMA per Gemma’s suggested format. (THANK YOU!)

Hopefully SOMEONE will contact her in regards to this blatant disregard of the law. We all know Victoria knows the rules, she’s just blatantly ignoring them.

In this post she has free products on a free trip and is disclosing neither...but is literally plastered head to toe in LV.

Reactions: 2
I did already report her to the ASA but just reported to the CMA per Gemma’s suggested format. (THANK YOU!)

Hopefully SOMEONE will contact her in regards to this blatant disregard of the law. We all know Victoria knows the rules, she’s just blatantly ignoring them.

In this post she has free products on a free trip and is disclosing neither...but is literally plastered head to toe in LV.

Urgh it’s so effing annoying - I like Victoria’s style - I’ve pre-purchased the new multi pochette because I liked how she styled it - but could she please just follow the law? It’s not like they are guidelines, it’s the actual law she’s breaking. She has so much credibility that’s wearing away because she isn’t being professional

Urgh it’s so effing annoying - I like Victoria’s style - I’ve pre-purchased the new multi pochette because I liked how she styled it - but could she please just follow the law? It’s not like they are guidelines, it’s the actual law she’s breaking. She has so much credibility that’s wearing away because she isn’t being professional
And at least it’s not an affiliate link - I went in store.

Reactions: 3
Smh. What a sad state of affairs. How about build an income and buy it yourself instead of hoping an influenza will give you their gifted products. I regularly question the sanity of some of these influenza followers. 🤦‍♀️ 😆

Victoria Inthefrow Twitter.png

I honestly think she’s got worse since the wedding, that 50 minute vlog was painful to watch.
I do enjoy seeing what she’s doing to the house but it took a lot of screeching to get there.

Let's be honest. Alex hit the jackpot *literally* when he met Victoria.

Watching the latest upload and that's all I could think, seeing them together... He seems nice (not really familiar with these two), but he's a bit cringe. Can't quite put my finger on why. 😆

FireShot Capture 594 - LIVING ROOM AND ENSUITE RENOVATIONS AND A NE_ - https___www.youtube.com...png

Reactions: 5
Let's be honest. Alex hit the jackpot *literally* when he met Victoria.

Watching the latest upload and that's all I could think, seeing them together... He seems nice (not really familiar with these two), but he's a bit cringe. Can't quite put my finger on why. 😆

View attachment 41436
He’s awful, he hides it well but he’s a controlling idiot who thought he was the tit until he realised he wasn’t 😏 then he slowly took over her channel and turned it into the joke it is now, I get seriously bad vibes from any guy who comments on his fiancée eating too much/something unhealthy.
She almost had to beg for him to propose the poor idiot.

• Wow
Reactions: 8
Was Alex complaining about her drinking champagne too fast and her getting excited about the cheese?
He made a comment about them having breakfast - rookie mistake but on this occasion I don’t think it was a dig at her, he’s been very obvious with it in the past though.

I hang out more on the Lydia thread but pop on here now and again as I can't fathom their fake friendship (and her squealing and baby voice has become insufferable) , but has anyone on here seen the posts on that thread, of Lydia dressing up in her wedding dress and sending it to Halfpenny London to post on Friday? I would have thought it would have been posted on this thread too, but who in the hell gets their wedding dress out, puts it on, takes a photo and sends it to the designer to put on twitter, JUST DAYS after your so called bestie has got married and is enjoying all the wedding dress content?!

There's something very telling about the fact Lydia claims she couldn't get just 1 pic with Vic on her 4 day wedding to post, chose an inappropriate thigh high split dress for their wedding, then just days later gets her wedding dress out and posts pics! Almost like Lydia has read all the comments about how plain and basic Vic's main ceremony dress was and Lydia thinks 'I know, I'll upstage her and remind people what I wore'! Just unbelievable!!

Attachments

• Sick
Reactions: 10
I hang out more on the Lydia thread but pop on here now and again as I can't fathom their fake friendship (and her squealing and baby voice has become insufferable) , but has anyone on here seen the posts on that thread, of Lydia dressing up in her wedding dress and sending it to Halfpenny London to post on Friday? I would have thought it would have been posted on this thread too, but who in the hell gets their wedding dress out, puts it on, takes a photo and sends it to the designer to put on twitter, JUST DAYS after your so called bestie has got married and is enjoying all the wedding dress content?!

There's something very telling about the fact Lydia claims she couldn't get just 1 pic with Vic on her 4 day wedding to post, chose an inappropriate thigh high split dress for their wedding, then just days later gets her wedding dress out and posts pics! Almost like Lydia has read all the comments about how plain and basic Vic's main ceremony dress was and Lydia thinks 'I know, I'll upstage her and remind people what I wore'! Just unbelievable!!

Same!! 😆 I mostly play on the Lydia thread but the crossover is hard to navigate, I tend to moan about her over there and forget she has her own thread! 🤣
The Thursday night click bait “buying a new house” upload at the EXACT same time as Victoria’s wedding vlog was low..
But Friday nights trying on my wedding dress and making sure it got posted by someone on Instagram was next level low.
They’re both commenting on each other’s posts but I really think Vicki is being fake friendly whilst rubbing LFW content (with BFF of the month Leonie) in her face.
I think Alex and Aldi get on well but Lydia and Victoria are nothing but competition to each other (Vicki is miles ahead in the race!!)

Reactions: 6
@Oohthedrama @BeccaBanana

Im sorry for bothering you again, but does Victoria has come from an affluent household? Lydia and her seems to be playing the "professional beggar" role a little to well.
No worries!
No she doesn’t, Alex doesn’t either, but she did Lecture in university (retail fashion?) 🤷‍♀️ So I kinda feel like she’s built her blog and channel from the ground and worked her way up, unlike Lidl who’s begged and lied her way up 😬
At least I did feel like that,
before she started begging, buying subs, hiding ads and affiliates and acting exactly like the rest of them.

Damn....he’s really growing that hair out isn’t he 🤦‍♀️
BF7477FC-2385-4811-A6C1-7251FD6E3696.jpeg

I think a few years ago I thought he was alright 😆😆 oh how wrong I was when the hair kicks in

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.