Inthefrow #2 featuring Whiny Magrath, the real housewive of Frowburbia.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've always thought of Victoria being back as a lecturer in a University. With her PhD and an "impressive CV" in her name, pretty sure she can bring in some buck being a teacher.

(Can someone explain how did Victoria got her PhD in such a short time? I've always wondered how does the UK system works, since I want to study there for grad school.)

Reactions: 1
I've always thought of Victoria being back as a lecturer in a University. With her PhD and an "impressive CV" in her name, pretty sure she can bring in some buck being a teacher.

(Can someone explain how did Victoria got her PhD in such a short time? I've always wondered how does the UK system works, since I want to study there for grad school.)
Oh I love discussing different educational systems!
In the UK a PhD normally goes for 3 years. To get in you nornally need a Masters in the field first, which takes a year, sometimes two. To get in to a Masters programme you will need an undergrad degree. Those are 3 years, and 4 years in Scotland.

So if you do a 3 year bachelors, 1 year masters, and 3 year PhD youā€™re done in 7 years. Thereā€™s a chance some PHD programmes donā€™t require a masters but I donā€™t believe so?

(Iā€™m Australian, but have studied in the US and UK!)

Reactions: 6
In the UK a PhD normally goes for 3 years. To get in you nornally need a Masters in the field first, which takes a year, sometimes two. To get in to a Masters programme you will need an undergrad degree. Those are 3 years, and 4 years in Scotland.

So if you do a 3 year bachelors, 1 year masters, and 3 year PhD youā€™re done in 7 years. Thereā€™s a chance some PHD programmes donā€™t require a masters but I donā€™t believe so?

Oh wow! I didn't realize how easy it is to have a PhD in the UK in less than 10 years. Meanwhile, here in my country, Philippines, Masters take 3-4 years, while PhD's usually take 6 years.

Is it okay to ask how much was your full program?

I'm not sure if I remember correctly, so please do not take my word for it, but I think I read somewhere that Vic went straight from undergrad to her PhD. I think it was on the other site ;).

• Wow
Reactions: 7
Oh wow! I didn't realize how easy it is to have a PhD in the UK in less than 10 years. Meanwhile, here in my country, Philippines, Masters take 3-4 years, while PhD's usually take 6 years.

Is it okay to ask how much was your full program?
Sorry to derail from the gossip (the most important bit of this forum!) but I need to stand up for the UK system here - no one can say getting a PhD in 7 years is easy. I donā€™t even have a masters, am just defending my friends and colleagues who were nearly broken by how difficult their PhD programs were.

If it took you ten years youā€™d have your funding withdrawn and be kicked out, no university would have you if it took you that long

Reactions: 9
Sorry to derail from the gossip (the most important bit of this forum!) but I need to stand up for the UK system here - no one can say getting a PhD in 7 years is easy. I donā€™t even have a masters, am just defending my friends and colleagues who were nearly broken by how difficult their PhD programs were.

If it took you ten years youā€™d have your funding withdrawn and be kicked out, no university would have you if it took you that long
Yes, agreed! I apologise if my post implied that, I didn't intend to. It's 7 years of bloody hard work.

Re: Victoria, the one thing I respect her for is her PhD.

In the US PhD is usually 4/ 5 years (after a 4 year bachelor, may or may not have masters which is another year or two) but if you are in something very research heavy and you have done a lot for the University your advisor can keep you for I think 7/8 years each program/ school may have a different cut off but after that they have to let you graduate if you meet criteria defend your thesis etc, a lot of the time big research universities (in the US at least) exploit PhD students bc they are cheap labor

Reactions: 3
Totally agree that dressing room is too small for all her stuff.
It's hard to tell from the shoe pile image, but is there space to put a central island or drawers? Or will she put another stupid lounge chair and footstool in there like so many Influenzas do? Seriously, who sits in their closet? Sit and admire how much crap you begged for/hoarded? One poof or small bench I understand, to sit and do up your shoes...but wtf use is a couch or chair? She has another beauty table with hoarded products galore in a dresser drawers in the spare room. The whole house is all about Vic and where Vic does this or that, except the toddler room. I guess since she brings the paycheck she can do whatever with the house but I just don't get these people.

I'm not sure if I remember correctly, so please do not take my word for it, but I think I read somewhere that Vic went straight from undergrad to her PhD. I think it was on the other site ;).
You're correct, she didn't get a master's. Said her program didn't have one, in one of her flogs.

Reactions: 2
It's hard to tell from the shoe pile image, but is there space to put a central island or drawers? Or will she put another stupid lounge chair and footstool in there like so many Influenzas do? Seriously, who sits in their closet?
I think she said she wanted to get a mini island on wheels in the past!? But Iā€™m not sure if that idea was scrapped.

I think we can all agree Victoria isn't little miss sustainability. But to play devil's advocate for a moment, she did donate. And I HATE the term virtue signalling with a passion. Whether you telegraph kindness or you don't, a good deed is a good deed. And I would never bring anyone down for that. Its infinitely better than doing shite all. The fires in Oz are bleeping terrible and anyone who does anything to help has my respect, regardless of why they are doing it. The firefighters will still get the money.

I just don't think it occurs to Victoria how her very career in fashion and all of the 'amazing opportunities it gives her' is actually pretty crappy for the environment.

I would hope to see her take the train more often, give back the Bentley in favour of a low emission car etc. But given the ways in which she has changed in the last couple of years I doubt it.

I've only just started watching this woman but my god she is insufferable. I know social media is all about showing off, but does she really have to be so vapid?!

Reactions: 3
I think we can all agree Victoria isn't little miss sustainability. But to play devil's advocate for a moment, she did donate. And I HATE the term virtue signalling with a passion. Whether you telegraph kindness or you don't, a good deed is a good deed. And I would never bring anyone down for that. Its infinitely better than doing shite all. The fires in Oz are bleeping terrible and anyone who does anything to help has my respect, regardless of why they are doing it. The firefighters will still get the money.

I just don't think it occurs to Victoria how her very career in fashion and all of the 'amazing opportunities it gives her' is actually pretty crappy for the environment.

I would hope to see her take the train more often, give back the Bentley in favour of a low emission car etc. But given the ways in which she has changed in the last couple of years I doubt it.
I think ā€œvirtue signallingā€ is a very useful term, because it helps people understand manipulative behaviour that a lot of people are demonstrating in this PC culture. We should think critically about patterns of behaviour, not shy away from pointing out hypocrisy and be forced to clap our little hands every time someone does a bit of damage limitation, lest we prevent them from ever doing a good deed again. People who want to do good will do good regardless of whether they are getting approval for it.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
People are complicated creatures but the second we go down this road where any kindness is viewed with suspicion, everyone is a target. And in my mind that isn't cool. Victoria is a flawed human being, sure. But a kind donation is a kind donation.

The internet is a crappy enough place without us all dumping on each other for doing something decent. I don't think I'm being manipulated by acknowledging Victoria has donated to a charity.

I still think she's vapid and annoying. But like most human beings, she probably doesn't enjoy seeing half of Australia on fire.

I called it virtue signalling as that is what it was. Her donation was pretty meagre, we all know how much she makes, how many freebies she gets ergo how little she actually pays for and therefore she could have donated a lot more.

Also she made a superficial gesture, the donation is pretty pointless when you think about how large her carbon footprint is. I have no time for PC bullshit like hers. If she cared that much she would along with her donation have talked about how sheā€™s going to change her lifestyle but no she made her little donation, made herself feel good and got some approval for it and carried on with doing everything that contributes to climates that cause such fires. Sorry but I have zero respect for her.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.