Interior Design masters

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Many of the designers have lacked the ability to consider the end-user in any brief, realise that having a personal style doesn’t mean doing the same thing every week, spend the budget where it will be most effective, understand the time constraints and their impact on the finished product e.g. edit the design to concentrate on key design features that are achievable in the time to a high quality rather than throwing in lots of stuff that is poorly conceived and looks unfinished

Sometimes they spend a ludicrous amount of time fannying about with one element of their design (which is often not very practical or successful and will likely be discarded by the space owner) at the expense of pitching in more practically.

The ones with promise slowly show adaptability and better decision making. They come prepared for the Tradies to work with clear instructions.

Reactions: 14
Many of the designers have lacked the ability to consider the end-user in any brief, realise that having a personal style doesn’t mean doing the same thing every week, spend the budget where it will be most effective, understand the time constraints and their impact on the finished product e.g. edit the design to concentrate on key design features that are achievable in the time to a high quality rather than throwing in lots of stuff that is poorly conceived and looks unfinished

Sometimes they spend a ludicrous amount of time fannying about with one element of their design (which is often not very practical or successful and will likely be discarded by the space owner) at the expense of pitching in more practically.

The ones with promise slowly show adaptability and better decision making. They come prepared for the Tradies to work with clear instructions.
I think you’re spot on - it doesn’t help that only 2 of the total challenges have *actually* had a client - even then we only saw the café owners visit their made over spaces not the shop owners.

Reactions: 9
I think you’re spot on - it doesn’t help that only 2 of the total challenges have *actually* had a client - even then we only saw the café owners visit their made over spaces not the shop owners.
I wonder if they can’t get enough to volunteer their spaces. When they did the cafe challenge one of the owners ended up with chairs fit for The Borrowers and banquettes 10 feet in the air. They probably end up with a bigger cost to fix some of the tit than if they’d just hired a professional in the first place.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
I'm sure we saw the shop owners see their spaces, the clothes shop owner appeared delighted and the crystal shop owner looked like he was mentally adding up what it would cost to out right ?

Reactions: 3
I wonder if they can’t get enough to volunteer their spaces. When they did the cafe challenge one of the owners ended up with chairs fit for The Borrowers and banquettes 10 feet in the air. They probably end up with a bigger cost to fix some of the tit than if they’d just hired a professional in the first place.
I always assumed the BBC gave the shop owners money to film in their shops and to compensate them for shutting for a week. Also, quite a few of the more flimsy MDF additions are removable without too much spend or damage

Reactions: 8
I was listening to The Rest is Entertainment podcast and they asked what happened if the business owners don't like the makeovers - apparently the production company pays to put it back how it was if they're not happy

• Wow
Reactions: 14
I'm sure we saw the shop owners see their spaces, the clothes shop owner appeared delighted and the crystal shop owner looked like he was mentally adding up what it would cost to out right ?
Oh did they come back?? I don’t really remember the end bit but deffo remember the cafe owners!

Reactions: 3
I’ve just caught up. Ben’s was mental with how white it was. Matt’s was two halves. The wood and lighting 10/10 but the sofa and cushions weren’t the best. Roisin’s space was brilliant. Not my taste but definitely worked as a complete space. I’m changing my mind on the winner and now saying it’s Roisin. She also suits the prize.

I need a bathroom designed. Think Matt is free and cheap? 😂

I do feel a bit sad when you think some of the designs will just be painted over or ripped out. The handbag shop last week has gone back to the original sort of layout, the till isn't in the middle any more which makes me think she put it back into the tiny alcove which Mary Portas rightly said was impractical. Even if you don't like the colour, it's sensible to take the advice of a shop expert in your layout-the common issue they often mention with businesses is having too much on display at once, it's too overwhelming for the customers.

I think for dressing rooms for Wembley it would have to be practical and probably wipe clean, there would be make up and booze bottles everywhere! Put in an ice machine and a drinks fridge and you'll find a winner for most people I'd have thought. Matt could have put a couple of lovely textured throws on the sofas to make them warmer, and that would have been way more practical than Ben's white sofas.

Bring back Anthony and Rob the carpenter, give them their own show like Banjo has 😂

Yep - this is something else I spotted whilst watching S1 & S2 . The client is quite involved in the process and they were filmed walking into the shop/ hairdresser or whatever space it was and they gave their thoughts on the design created. As well as being involved at the start and they told the designers what they needed / felt was most important and what style they wanted.
The designers then had to work around these wishes but still incorporate themselves into the design.

Guys!!!!! I saw Ben today :) he was working so didn't disturb him. He has a very lovely smile.

Reactions: 13
Matts is getting used and she has 2.9 million followers so must be quite well known

Reactions: 4
I'm on a Facebook group for this, Ben is a member. They are all bigging him up saying his was wonderful. That things can be replaced if they get dirty because the arena has money! Most think Matt is to masculine and R is brilliant. I really don't get R she doesn't do that style well for me, there's not enough layering.
Although I do think she will win.
Do you think they'll bring back a designer each next week to help? They've done that before.

Reactions: 6
Ben's was completely impractical and no business wants to regularly replace stuff. Sorry but that's the dumbest thing I've heard, makes no business sense.

And again, why is masculine bad. They get multiple performers there.

Reactions: 16
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.