Interior Design masters

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I didn't love any of the rooms tonight although I can see Roisin's room was the most finished room. Matt's room felt too much like a boardroom, a long meeting table wouldn't have looked out of place. Ben's room was the most impractical and it was too white, if he'd added some neutrals it would have won for me.

In spite of my first impression of Ben, I really warmed to him and I was sad to see him go.

I don't think I'll care who wins next week because I'm not really keen on either of their work. For my money, Anthony was the best designer and it's a shame that he went on his only poor week in the show.

Reactions: 10
I did love Roisin’s room but I think it was a bit one sided with SEB as guest judge. Wembley hosts a lot of acts and they’re not all pop princesses.
I thought this, she was stood in a floral sequin dress with ruffles so it’s naturally going to be more her vibe.

Would be really shocked if Matt doesn’t win, think we said from week 2 he was the likely winner. The trades people seem to like working with him because he actually knows what he’s doing, gets involved and has practical solutions when initial ideas don’t work, whereas some just stand there shocked and will be like oh just do it anyway. Him having an education in this field has put him ahead of most of the competition despite only having a couple years work experience. Imagine someone with an education and like 5/6 years experience, they’d walk it. Think a final with him and the guy that went last week would have been the best, he was his only really competition imo.

Reactions: 24
I think Roisin suits the prize more but Matt is definitely better overall. Michelle was adamant about them considering the client but her and Sophie only considered one type of client, girlie, feminine, social. What about the male rock star or a comedian?

Reactions: 28
I love Roisin but we all know what her homeware range will look like, pretty much what is in so many shops already. Would be interesting to see what Matt would do, how different it'd be, whether he'd go for a more masculine aesthetic etc. Although his cushions on this challenge were awful.

Reactions: 17
From his drawings, I thought Matt's would feel a lot warmer that it did. Roisin did so well (apart from the dodgy table) and I think she is my favourite now as she's improved so much
Yes I thought the same about matts drawings. The room came across much warmer in the drawing than it did once finished. It was that middle section that let it down. He could have just chucked on a few fluffy cushions and reupholstered the sofas. Added in an another plant or two.

Reactions: 10
Matt has posted photos to his Instagram and the room looks a lot warmer in those too.

Reactions: 3
I honestly think Matt’s was more universally functional as a space. He isn’t going to win because he doesn’t suit the prize but I hope he has a good career out of it.

Reactions: 15
What is it with this show that the frontrunners always hit a low before the final? I thought Matt should've gone home last week for that impractical sand pit and this week he was lucky Ben was still around to take the hit. Yes, his room had a few great elements and very photogenic angles but the middle section was a disappointment. Did he have the bathroom painted or was that the colour it came in? What a waste of time those bathrooms were.

Reactions: 9
Roisins looked like something SEB would like.
That's exactly what my husband said! You could see the continuity was all over the place with the 3 different coloured wristbands they had to wear (red, blue and yellow). Clearly blue was for day 1 and yellow was for day 2 but yellow featured in day 1!

So pleased for the final two - I'd love Matt to win but wouldn't mind if Roisin did.
---
Would be really shocked if Matt doesn’t win, think we said from week 2 he was the likely winner.
I said he would win before week 1 was even over! Absolutely love his designs.

Reactions: 5
What is it with this show that the frontrunners always hit a low before the final? I thought Matt should've gone home last week for that impractical sand pit and this week he was lucky Ben was still around to take the hit. Yes, his room had a few great elements and very photogenic angles but the middle section was a disappointment. Did he have the bathroom painted or was that the colour it came in? What a waste of time those bathrooms were.
I think he did paint it but agree - unless they were going to be allowed to rip them out and refurb completely it was absolutely pointless.

Reactions: 6
I think the grey flooring really brought down Matt's room and made everything look very cold and temporary (Ben's too but that room had way more issues). Roisin had the same floor but I didn't even notice it because of everything else going on and she disguised it well

I think next week is going to be close as both Matt and Roisin seem to be quite good at listening to the brief, which is the thing that often decides the final

Side note: Ben was very sweet and funny this week and him and his boyfriend seem to have a lovely relationship

Reactions: 12
Matt almost has the rare problem for this show. He is very skilled on interior design but lacks the decoration a bit. Where as usually they are all about decoration/soft furnishings and fail at the interior design bit.

Reactions: 20
Matt almost has the rare problem for this show. He is very skilled on interior design but lacks the decoration a bit. Where as usually they are all about decoration/soft furnishings and fail at the interior design bit.
I think this is why Roisin will win it - the prize is more suited to her than Matt. But Matt could go really far in his career if he can work on his decoration style - or if he just sticks to the interior architecture

Reactions: 11
Ben's toilet looked like a hospital toilet, that aside his designs are often very beautiful if not like in this instance very practical. I'm really enjoyed his sartorial choices except that get up last night, awful and the commitment to the hat was unnecessary, take it off especially when hugging your colleagues, it kept bopping them in the forehead!
Not sure on the love for Matt, last night's was a miss, and his headboard thing in the rental was rank, he has some nice ideas but everything he does puts me in mind of Tabac - the mens aftershave, it's all the wood stain, I think his rooms would always smell of Tabac, and therefore smell like my Dad, it's decor for steelworkers who flannel wash at the sink.
The woman is very samey but I do feel it worked last night, it did feel like A list glam that's also practical

It's a shame that lad went last week, I really liked him

Reactions: 6
I think Matt will be the real winner even if he doesn't win. His style works for both private and corporate clients and has flexibility with a wide appeal. I could see him doing both private homes and public spaces.

Roisin has a very niche style that will only work for those that like it.

I think Matt will be the real winner even if he doesn't win. His style works for both private and corporate clients and has flexibility with a wide appeal. I could see him doing both private homes and public spaces.

Roisin has a very niche style that will only work for those that like it.
I think Matt has the better ability at making things have a sophistication and professional look about them. I think Ben really struggled with that, he might be able to do his home how he likes, but a lot of his work just felt like someone’s home in a non home environment.

I think the prize this year is a bit naff tbh, other years they’ve had big projects they’ve redesigned and can put on their portfolio, but this just seems to be designing cushions and side tables like a love island and PLT contract.

Reactions: 14
I think Matt has the better ability at making things have a sophistication and professional look about them. I think Ben really struggled with that, he might be able to do his home how he likes, but a lot of his work just felt like someone’s home in a non home environment.

I think the prize this year is a bit naff tbh, other years they’ve had big projects they’ve redesigned and can put on their portfolio, but this just seems to be designing cushions and side tables like a love island and PLT contract.
i have been re-watching from series one. The winner in S1 won the chance to decorate the bar at the Dorchester ( that or the Savoy - cant recall which other than its swanky). In series two the winner got the chance to redecorate a 2 bedroom suite at a hotel in the lakes.

• Wow
Reactions: 8
i've got to be honest i don't really see in matt what the rest of this thread seems to. yes he's competent and his designs are practical and well thought through but they're all sides of the same coin imo. yes roisin can overuse green but matt does the same with the concrete effect walls and isn't pulled up. the big thing i noticed this week was the lack of depth to both his and ben's designs. it felt very flat and intimidating, you could tell by michelle and sophie's body language that they felt a lot more comfortable in roisin's room and that's probably why she won. masculine doesn't necessarily mean unapproachable, whoever described his spaces as corporate was right. it's all sad beige influencer feeling but with a bit of self awareness.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
i've got to be honest i don't really see in matt what the rest of this thread seems to. yes he's competent and his designs are practical and well thought through but they're all sides of the same coin imo. yes roisin can overuse green but matt does the same with the concrete effect walls and isn't pulled up. the big thing i noticed this week was the lack of depth to both his and ben's designs. it felt very flat and intimidating, you could tell by michelle and sophie's body language that they felt a lot more comfortable in roisin's room and that's probably why she won. masculine doesn't necessarily mean unapproachable, whoever described his spaces as corporate was right. it's all sad beige influencer feeling but with a bit of self awareness.
I guess it also depends on personal taste. Matts I could live in, Roisin would be headache inducing after a while

I think Matt's design last night would be more adaptable tbh.
A few throws, cushions, flowers could easily make it more softer and 'feminine'.
I think if he'd said at the debriefing that was his vision, as the rooms aren't for just one type of client it would help, because I bet that was his thinking. Get the architectural features right then people can adapt afterwards.

Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.