Influencers being shady with their AD

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I just stumbled across this thread looking for another one so apologies if this is covered already but why do influencers not want to show the #AD etc? I don’t get it if their job is to influence people, wouldn’t they want people to know it an AD?

Reactions: 1
I just stumbled across this thread looking for another one so apologies if this is covered already but why do influencers not want to show the #AD etc? I don’t get it if their job is to influence people, wouldn’t they want people to know it an AD?
They didn’t used to have to declare them so a lot of them have built the impression that they’re a lot better off than they were by showing a constant stream of new purchases, so now don’t want to admit that it’s entirely subsidised by brands.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
They didn’t used to have to declare them so a lot of them have built the impression that they’re a lot better off than they were by showing a constant stream of new purchases, so now don’t want to admit that it’s entirely subsidised by brands.
I think as well it's credibility - would people be as inclined to buy the product if they know the influencer is being paid to promote it rather than it being a genuine recommendation?

Reactions: 8
Thank you. It’s one of those teeth bugs I’ve always wondered about.

Reactions: 3
Jo Good's Middle Aged Minx You Tube vlog of 1st August 2021 contains advertising for Chantecaille, Gatineau and Current Body.

The video title should contain AD, as per ASA regulations.

If she wasn't advertising them why would she mention the brands and discount code? It matters not one bit that she claims it is not an ad.

Nor does it matter if she did or didn't get a fee (more fool her and her idiot agent) It is still an AD.

She says "Current Body is a gift no obligation to film" but she DID film therefore it is an AD.

It is clear cut case for the ASA. Advertising 3 different brands in one video???

She really thinks people are idiots.

A commenter on her You Tube pointed this out but Jo Good (or a channel admin) deleted it. The comment was screenshot for posterity before deletion.
20210801_140429.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Jo Good's Middle Aged Minx You Tube vlog of 1st August 2021 contains advertising for Chantecaille, Gatineau and Current Body.

The video title should contain AD, as per ASA regulations.

If she wasn't advertising them why would she mention the brands and discount code? It matters not one bit that she claims it is not an ad.

Nor does it matter if she did or didn't get a fee (more fool her and her idiot agent) It is still an AD.

She says "Current Body is a gift no obligation to film" but she DID film therefore it is an AD.

It is clear cut case for the ASA. Advertising 3 different brands in one video???

She really thinks people are idiots.

A commenter on her You Tube pointed this out but Jo Good (or a channel admin) deleted it. The comment was screenshot for posterity before deletion.
View attachment 691238
Why do these people think gifted is not advertising when they still feature it on their vlogs? Surely a true gift would never be mentioned.

Reactions: 7
I've seen that sly 'Rhitrition' (and her other profile of 'Rhi') to hide her ads in an obscure way by either not mentioning it, r adding the word 'gifted' in tiny font, or just making the 'ad' font incredibly small. She's just such a disingenuous sneak and tries to bag as many freebis from brands as she can, whilst most of her posts and stories are always merching something.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Why do these people think gifted is not advertising when they still feature it on their vlogs? Surely a true gift would never be mentioned.
Indeed.

If I were filming a vlog of my day for non-advert purposes I would say " My friend Sally gave me a nice perfume to say thanks for helping her out with few things, AND my boss gave me a restaurant voucher for hitting my target! Anyway, I better go and wash my face now before bed".

I certainly wouldn't be putting in links and giving out discount codes, after all what would be in it for me to do that?

The defence that influencers use is that they can't say just that as "someone always asks what I'm using/where I'm going". That's fine BUT the point at which they supply all that info turns it into an advertisment.

I actually believe brands who use influencers who do not comply with ASA regulations should be called out directly.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
@VeeJayBee just told me about this thread, I hadn’t realised it existed. I’m getting fed up with these scammers not doing the right thing by their followers and viewers.

Just reported Nadine Baggott this morning for an IGTV she made ‘shop with me’ in Superdrug. She waltzes round pointing out all her favourite brands and products, all of which she works with and is paid to promote - she brought out a beauty box with Superdrug not too long ago. But, nothing to mention it’s an advert, or anything about her relationship with Superdrug or any of the other brands. I don’t even know if this actually breaches the ASA rules, but it feels really wrong and disingenuous - any new viewers, or anyone unsuspecting who watches it wouldn’t have a clue that she’s got a vested interest in promoting those products and brands. So sly and shady.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
@VeeJayBee just told me about this thread, I hadn’t realised it existed. I’m getting fed up with these scammers not doing the right thing by their followers and viewers.

Just reported Nadine Baggott this morning for an IGTV she made ‘shop with me’ in Superdrug. She waltzes round pointing out all her favourite brands and products, all of which she works with and is paid to promote - she brought out a beauty box with Superdrug not too long ago. But, nothing to mention it’s an advert, or anything about her relationship with Superdrug or any of the other brands. I don’t even know if this actually breaches the ASA rules, but it feels really wrong and disingenuous - any new viewers, or anyone unsuspecting who watches it wouldn’t have a clue that she’s got a vested interest in promoting those products and brands. So sly and shady.
Contact the businesses too, it’s the only way to stop this.

Reactions: 4
I've seen that sly 'Rhitrition' (and her other profile of 'Rhi') to hide her ads in an obscure way by either not mentioning it, r adding the word 'gifted' in tiny font, or just making the 'ad' font incredibly small. She's just such a disingenuous sneak and tries to bag as many freebis from brands as she can, whilst most of her posts and stories are always merching something.
It’s actually against the code of ethics for the nutrition body she is signed to. The AfN. She is supposed to declare things such as ads fair and square with a hashtag too I believe.

It’s actually against the code of ethics for the nutrition body she is signed to. The AfN. She is supposed to declare things such as ads fair and square with a hashtag too I believe.
That Airfryer ad is sooooo hidden. No hashtag and just stuck in the text. These things need reporting. They’re just a piss take and she should know better.

Not sure if it’s shady, but it seems very unethical. Alex Jones from The One Show has posted a few ADs with both Pampers and Cadbury. The Pampers had text under the heading at very top saying paid partnership with Pampers, plus ad in the text. Cadbury had ad in the text. She had a lot of negative comments. Getting paid by a company to advertise their generosity in donating their non biodegradable nappies. Plus, she’s a BBC employee. However, I don’t think she mentions her socials like Jo Good, Middleaged Minx does on her radio show.

The Cadbury one was about sustainability which is inaccurate as they use palm oil as well as not being fairtrade. There was good information in the comments. She was also heavily criticised in the comments.

• Wow
Reactions: 6
At it again. Little “ad” hidden so well in there. Every time she does this I will report her. It’s devious. She should know better.
I’m going to flag it to her governing body. Enough of this slyness!

Just like Jo Good (MiddleAgedMinx) whose BBC Radio London slots she's taken over, Jeanette Kwakye MBE doesn't know #gifted is not enough on an Insta post. Where is AD?
20210827_185807.jpg

I wonder if, again just like Jo Good, Jeanette will make regular mention of her socials on her show, thus leading BBC listeners to her advertising?

Some of them are so shady about PR gifts too. Like its not like they're gifted these things bc they're liked, its because of their influence. But so many try and spin it as 'so and so from boohoo sent me this, she's such a babe'..UM no they sent you it to you to advertise, you absolute melon

• Heart
Reactions: 6