Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

VeeJayBee

VIP Member
AGAIN.
Jo Good (aka Middle Aged Minx) is advertising an extremely pricey skincare brand on her YouTube vlog today. There is no disclosure of this in the title of the video (as required by the ASA), nor in the description box.

She says in the video that it's "not sponsored" but that means nothing. She has worked with the brand in the past, interviewed the founder on her BBC radio London afternoon show, and this week the brand sent her a gifted plant and skin care products. In her vlog she went on to name check the brand, rave about it and positively reviewed the products. She also featured it in her Insta.

20210523_111757.jpg

20210523_111826.jpg

20210523_111842.jpg

Reactions: 1

VeeJayBee

VIP Member
Again Jo Good Middle Aged Minx has not declared an #AD (dog food) in the way required by the ASA. For YouTube, the #AD declaration should be visible to anyone before they watch the video, so should be in the title (to ensure it is seen in case the viewer is watching on a device that doesn't display the description box). Jo Good mentioning that it is sponsored low down in the description box, or saying that her dog 'has a sponsor' (once one is well into watching the video) does not comply.
20210307_165336.jpg

20210307_171511.jpg

Last edited:

Captainmouse

VIP Member
This thread shows that Jo Good @middleagedminx has long form for non-declaration of ads on her socials. Also shady is that she uses her position as a presenter on BBC Radio London to promote her socials. We all know the BBC is supposed to be non-commercial (that's why we have to pay our BBC licence fee!!) but she keeps broadcasting her handle, all so she can gain followers and shill all the usual influencer crap to them via her aff links etc.

This seems extra shady as most of her listeners are of an older vintage and might be less savvy to the wily, slimy ways of influencers, and trustingly believe that nice Jo Good is recommending a product to them from the goodness of her heart.

Many guests on her radio show are repping brands she's done partnerships or paid side-gigs for. Eg Sheerluxe, they pay her to present their website video segments for older women so she gets them on the BBC to talk about their brand.

On her BBC London radio show on Sunday afternoon she kept mentioning interviews she's doing for "Marylebone Village" for their Insta and announcing their handle. She hopes we think it's a cute local community thing but Marylebone Village Limited is a company that exists to promote Marylebone as a destination for shopping, dining, services, property, etc., at the luxury end of the market. How much has she been paid her for her services as a video presenter of these IG interviews with local shopkeepers? These are, in fact, ads for retail outlets within the Marylebone area. Jo Good tries to make it good value, making sure they get free publicity via the platfom she is afforded on (supposedly non-commercial) BBC Radio.
So has anybody contacted the beeb?

VeeJayBee

VIP Member
Yet another example of Jo Good aka MiddleAgedMinx advertising a high street brand, giving aff links but not transparently identifying this IG post as the #AD that it is.

Remember too that Jo Good often uses her BBC radio show to mention her social media channels telling listeners they will find cute pics of her dog and her outfits etc. She is hoping they will also see her advertising that is not disclosed as such.
20211117_182710.jpg

pink321

Chatty Member
I've seen that sly 'Rhitrition' (and her other profile of 'Rhi') to hide her ads in an obscure way by either not mentioning it, r adding the word 'gifted' in tiny font, or just making the 'ad' font incredibly small. She's just such a disingenuous sneak and tries to bag as many freebis from brands as she can, whilst most of her posts and stories are always merching something.

• Heart

Shineyshine

VIP Member
Over on another thread, because we kept reporting repeated non-disclosure of ads, the ASA did notify one of the Tattlers that they’d put the Instagrammer on their watch list, and they were being given a formal warning. Having said that, I don’t know what else the ASA would do, or next steps, if you like. I think they seem pretty toothless. So a lot of these people continue to get away with it.

blossombloss

Chatty Member
AFF anyone?!
Bottom right hand corner!
Carly Rowena does the same. So fucking shady hiding it behind the send message button and for load of people who are right handed your hand will likely prevent you from seeing it being marked as an ad or whatever!

AllSeeingEye123

VIP Member
I did a search for influencer threads and this is probably the thread to put this in rather than make a new one......

They are going to get a bad name, lose fans and disappear in to obscurity with a bit of luck.

Ensay

VIP Member
Ugh I hate this kind of thing. The only ones I can tolerate are those who put it at the end of a video within a bookmark. The worst are the ones who put it in the middle. I always skip through it or - if I'm not particularly enjoying the video - close it.

VeeJayBee

VIP Member
The companies are too trusting that the idiots they use will do things the right way. I think they'd like to know when they are at risk of a fine from the ASA or the CMA

20231217_172413.jpg

House of Tea

VIP Member
Jo Good never lets us down, every week promoting something but pretending it's not an AD because she knows someone behind it ("just a friend") and faking that she doesn't even know how you can find out about it....
View attachment 1200629
until she forgets her act and tells us there's a link below.
View attachment 1200631

So, let's ask again: Hey Jo, you always say how honest and transparent you are so why does this vlog not have the banner required by YouTube, they ask when you upload if each video IINCLUDES PAID PROMOTION. So Jo, do you tick the box saying "no" ?

Any why does the title of the vliog not contain the word AD? This is required for ASA compliance, so viewers can decide to engage with advertising or not.
Yes, she couldn’t keep the pretence up for long.

Sunflower91

VIP Member
Has anyone heard back from the ASA recently? I reported a few by Alexandra Stedman who is the WORST for not declaring ads (she’s getting better tbf - but only cos she knows she’s being reported cos of tattle) and I’ve not heard anything back. I’ve only ever reported FOD before and he did get a warning off them eventually.
I heard back recently from reporting someone. Took around a month for them to reply and for one issue around a misleading ad, all they are doing is making a note of it or something. But I was told they weren’t taking forward a complaint I had over where #Ad is placed in an Instagram post. Random Segway, Basically the rule is that you should know it is an ad before you click “see more”. ASA can do something where it’s an ad but where it’s a gift/ should be tagged #gifted it’s something for the CMA which by the sounds of it make Instagram handle that despite there being no way of reporting it- so because my complaint was about a gift for that they did nothing. I also see a big difference between how they handle a repeat offender vs a newer one- with someone who I don’t think has been reported much as they’ve only just started increasing the ads, I got a reply within a week or so. But for Vicky Pattison, I’ve made numerous complaints and she’s always complaining about the ASA but they barely reply and if they do it takes a month and they don’t seem to do anything.
I think they’re struggling to keep up with the volume of complaints and keeping track of their own guidance/ where complaints need to go. It’s frustrating because it gets to the point where content has done the damage they’re supposed to protect against.

• Heart

VeeJayBee

VIP Member
Curious comment by Jo Good on her BBC Radio London show yesterday afternoon (BBC Sounds at 1:52:10).

Jo Good says she receives a lot of "random emails...because you follow me on social media, but I don't promote my social media on the radio so if you find me, then well done..."

Really? The attention-seeking advertiser who's always saying on air, on the BBC, "I URGE you to go to my You Tube channel @middleagedminx". So - while claiming she doesn't promote her social media on the radio - she is promoting her social media on the radio by talking about not promoting her social media on the radio. IMO "If you find me" = "Go and look for me".

That comment does imply, however, that she's not supposed to promote her social media (ads) on the radio. She seems to have found a shady way of doing so anyway.

VeeJayBee

VIP Member
This thread shows that Jo Good @middleagedminx has long form for non-declaration of ads on her socials. Also shady is that she uses her position as a presenter on BBC Radio London to promote her socials. We all know the BBC is supposed to be non-commercial (that's why we have to pay our BBC licence fee!!) but she keeps broadcasting her handle, all so she can gain followers and shill all the usual influencer crap to them via her aff links etc.

This seems extra shady as most of her listeners are of an older vintage and might be less savvy to the wily, slimy ways of influencers, and trustingly believe that nice Jo Good is recommending a product to them from the goodness of her heart.

Many guests on her radio show are repping brands she's done partnerships or paid side-gigs for. Eg Sheerluxe, they pay her to present their website video segments for older women so she gets them on the BBC to talk about their brand.

On her BBC London radio show on Sunday afternoon she kept mentioning interviews she's doing for "Marylebone Village" for their Insta and announcing their handle. She hopes we think it's a cute local community thing but Marylebone Village Limited is a company that exists to promote Marylebone as a destination for shopping, dining, services, property, etc., at the luxury end of the market. How much has she been paid her for her services as a video presenter of these IG interviews with local shopkeepers? These are, in fact, ads for retail outlets within the Marylebone area. Jo Good tries to make it good value, making sure they get free publicity via the platfom she is afforded on (supposedly non-commercial) BBC Radio.