Influencer Industry

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I also hope it will be the death of the influencer in the new year although I actually DO understand why brands are using them. Old school advertising and marketing no longer works.

Be honest! How many of you still watch tv ads? Or look at ads in actual papers, magazines, etc? How are the brands supposed to reach us if we don't see them, so I get the over saturation of social media.

What I DON'T like is that people you enjoy following will now sell their soul for a bit of dosh. Why can't they be more discerning and only work with brands they like or believe in. It doesn't bother me that rich people get gifted items, I mean would you turn down free stuff? Plus if they have xxxx amount of followers these brands know they are actually reaching people.

Also to the person who wanted an Audi, avoid, avoid, avoid! Severaly overpriced! Rather spend the money on a Porche or Mercedez, you'd be surprised how cheap you can pick them up and they are not expensive to service either

Reactions: 7
I hope so, I really do!! Greedy bastards ( most of them)

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
Are there any brands that you are particularly sick of seeing being constantly gifted or promoted?
I’m Fed up with seeing those expensive Balsamhill Christmas trees being gifted to wealthy individuals. They gifted a lady who already owns at least 7 Xmas trees 🤦‍♀️ Oh and The White Company keep on advertising their products too by gifting or paying fees. The worst was a £1k outdoor fire pit gifted to a very wealthy family. The greed of these people who take take take and advertise to make money, but insist they are only doing it to share with their loyal followers. Yeah right!
Snuz, they literally gift every bleeping pregnant person or their family something from their range, stop giving your stuff away and lower your prices.

Reactions: 6
I just can't see how the model works that well for brands.
Must be hard to measure unless there a exclusive discount code .
Its clear other bloggers friends and family like their ads so gives a false picture.
Most time they don't make sense family of 6 advertising small car.
Family tight cocunts driving a Lexus is Ibiza.
Fashion blogger yes your mum looks 40 advertising margerine.

Reactions: 1
Audi have been giving away cars for years, inc. to the Royal Family, going back at least 20 years.

Reactions: 2
Snuz, they literally gift every bleeping pregnant person or their family something from their range, stop giving your stuff away and lower your prices.
This 100%! The White Company stuff quality deteriorated in the past 5-6 years or so but prices have become exorbitant (I mean, how much can you charge for an acrylic throw or a scratchy blanket?). It’s not just influencers who are greedy, brands are too, and I think this puts off people off buying their stuff as well.

Brands that I no longer respect thanks to influencers:
Dior
Bottega Venetta
Balenciaga
Louis Vuitton
Charlotte Tilbury (her makeup breaks me out so it’s tit as well)
By Terry
NARS
Jimmy Choo

Reactions: 3
The cyanide drink is starting off 2020 with people questioning infuencers. Although seen a few infuencers themselves try to discredit the towie and love island lot as they aren't proper infuencers just reality TV people. Oh please, they're all not that different.
----–---------
From the sun

But the clue is in the name. Anyone whose job title is “influencer” is being paid to sway their followers into buying things they otherwise would not.

As a result, we don’t know who to trust.

This was illustrated this week by Lauren Goodger being caught on camera for a BBC show agreeing to promote a drink containing hydrogen cyanide.

The reality TV star was secretly filmed during a meeting where she was asked to promote a fake diet drink named Cyanora — said to contain the deadly chemical hydrogen cyanide — on Instagram.

It was part of an investigation by the documentary into whether celebrities consume the products which they are paid to promote.

The alacrity with which Goodger agreed to promote this fake product was alarming.

Similarly worrying, to demonstrate her willingness to promote a product she had never tried, she talked about how she promoted another product, Skinny Coffee, which in January she claimed helped her lose 12lb in three weeks.

“I never tried Skinny Coffee,” she admitted.

To drive the point home, she added: “I’ve even had my own friends message me, ‘Laur, can you get me some of that Skinny Coffee, does it work?’ . . . I’m like, ‘Do you not know this by now?’ And they’re actually going and buying it and I’m like, ‘You know how this works’.”

At least she is honest. When she doesn’t realise she is being recorded.

By way of explanation, a representative for Goodger said: “Lauren was asked to . . . appear in an advert for a new water.

“There was no mention of what the water contained before the meeting. The money on the table was quite a large sum.”

Goodger herself said: “As with any audition, you people-please and say what they want to hear.

“They asked me, ‘Would I promote the drink without using it?’ In the heat of the moment, I said yes and also said I hadn’t tried Skinny Coffee — in the hope of getting the job.

“I would never promote anything on my Instagram that I don’t feel is right for my followers and that I haven’t used. The sit-down meeting after the audition was filmed undercover without my knowledge.”

So I guess we take this to mean that had she known she was being filmed, she wouldn’t have been so up-front about the real role of an influencer.

It is easy to forget that influencers are paid to promote products.

Even those who start off promising to recommend only things they like are probably susceptible, if the price is right. And if that is the case, how can we believe anything is a genuine endorsement?

So, who can we trust? Let’s start with ourselves. Instead of handing our likes and values over to be decided by so-called influencers, we should remember our own sense of self and what we like and dislike.

And let’s go back to another thing from the good old days: Trusting real friends instead of Instagram ones.

Reactions: 8
That Mummy Smile proudly displays Social Influencer in her *bio*. What a thing to be proud of...

Reactions: 2
My worry is the stans will allow it to continue,

I definitely think things will massively change in 2020, already Instagram is changing how it allows influencers to use its platform, but I think it will take another few years to die off completely.

a lot of influencers already have their “projects” lined up for next year. And if the stans continue to purchase off the backs of an influencers “recommendation” it’s gonna take a while for marketing departments to look elsewhere when it comes to promoting a product.

Slightly off topic but I have a few Monica Vinider items and I now hate them because of influencers 🤣 it’s become the opposite to what they’re paid to do for me.

What I find frustrating is seeing the same ‘influencers’ ( I can’t stand that word) staging photos of their kids or themselves, trying to sell products that they don’t use or perhaps use the once. I started a while ago to see through the fakeness of some of these people - their accounts which I liked a few years ago have sadly now changed to making money or trying to get gifts, trying anything to increase numbers. They have the audacity to keep telling their audience that they are genuine and honest, but the stunts they pull to sell something make you question them, and when you do they don’t like it. They call people trolls for speaking out about it, but they simply don’t like hearing the truth and being called out on their actions. They act like they are some sort of mini celebrity - IG has gone to their heads in a BIG way 🤦‍♀️I’m glad I discovered Tattle and found that others were also getting sick and tired of it all too.

Reactions: 7

Celebrities can be sell outs too. But yes when you see influencers who go to countries like China, Dubai, or Saudi Arabia, it should give any consumer, people like you and me some pause. These are countries with terrible human rights violations that are still ongoing.

It is really sad when people prioritize money over their own morals. One influencer here on Tattle in particular that I’m looking at (but there are many just as guilty as him) only because he and his gf had a recent domestic violence joke scandal is Alfie Deyes. He received his gifted veneers in Dubai and did a shoot in China with Mini. He must have conveniently forgotten that China is also under fire with their own human rights issues atm— protests in HK and the detainment of the Uighur people—when he was too busy waiting for the cheque to clear from Mini.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I hope it will be the end of influencers, but I doubt it will. Too many greedy, lazy people calling themselves influencers, they have no skills or knowledge to share(some not all), particularly mummy vloggers, quite a few would benefit from parenting and cooking courses. Using their families to make money, they cry troll or bully when people call them out on unsafe, inappropriate or dishonest practices. Sadly decent mummy vloggers are very much in the minority. The greedy behaviour is only encouraged by brands/businesses who don't research the vloggers they work with. Rules and guidelines should be introduced regarding advertising and /gifted items and services within the vlogging community.
Also ANY vlogger who is driving whilst vlogging and taking their hands off the steering wheel while the vehicle is moving, should be in trouble, lots of mummy vloggers do this especially when they have children in the car. A blind eye is turned too often to dangerous and even illegal practices

Reactions: 5
Not something they necessarily get gifted ( not sure if they do ) but I’ll never buy Gucci since all of them seem to live in it.

Reactions: 3
I'm hopefull the whole influencer industry will pop in 2020. It's getting crazy, people with 40k followers are earning enough to support a whole family by being paid by brands to influence people to buy stuff they got for free.

Then to make enough you have to have such low standards and do ADs for anything even if it contradicts what you were flogging last week.

Maybe this could be used as a thread to collect news stories that mark the end or decline?

This advert is playing on the radio a lot:

"Radio - original influencer, with 36 million real followers"
I’m praying this is true. That whole industry is pathetic 🙏

If I see one more influencer receive a sodding Odd Box 🙄

Last edited:
I loved joules!! It was literally all I wore, then they gifted some to influencers and I’ve literally sold all my clothes. They cost a fortune and to just give them away annoyed me a lot when as a loyal customer it’s rare they offer any real discounts. We was looking into buying an Audi next year as we have dogs and kids and the boot size on some of their cars is lovely but since they’ve given them away I’ve said no to it, again just because it’s such an expensive car and they’re just handing them out.

M&S literally peed me of when they went through a faze of having insta kids as their models. 🤬 it just really bugged me.

I’m not a petty person I don’t think but these shops are all quite expensive and to be giving away as much as they do just pees me off. They could just lower their prices across the board instead of selling out to influencers and they would probably do better for it.
Totally agree.

It reminds me the other day someone commented on one of Venetia Falconers posts asking does she have any sustainable underwear brands she recommends. Venetia replied recommending one, I forgot the name, to which the original girl replied saying thanks but too expensive. Someone else then replied saying why not try stripe and stare (and tagged them). The brand then replied saying oh venetia we are gonna email you and send you some!! ... so another poster then replied like why not send them to the original poster who is ACTUALLY LOOKING FOR SOME. Which I loved to see someone calling them out.

I mean I get it's advertising but it's so frustrating to see. Venetia didn't even originally recommend that brand, and then a few days later she had a insta story of loads of free underwear she got sent. I ended up unfollowing her. Considering she constantly talks about cutting down on buying too much, she easily could have said oh i dont need some, I agree send them to the original poster looking for new underwear.

Sorry for the ramble but this really annoyed me. She was the only influencer I was still following as I thought she was different but clearly not..

Reactions: 9
Totally agree.

It reminds me the other day someone commented on one of Venetia Falconers posts asking does she have any sustainable underwear brands she recommends. Venetia replied recommending one, I forgot the name, to which the original girl replied saying thanks but too expensive. Someone else then replied saying why not try stripe and stare (and tagged them). The brand then replied saying oh venetia we are gonna email you and send you some!! ... so another poster then replied like why not send them to the original poster who is ACTUALLY LOOKING FOR SOME. Which I loved to see someone calling them out.

I mean I get it's advertising but it's so frustrating to see. Venetia didn't even originally recommend that brand, and then a few days later she had a insta story of loads of free underwear she got sent. I ended up unfollowing her. Considering she constantly talks about cutting down on buying too much, she easily could have said oh i dont need some, I agree send them to the original poster looking for new underwear.

Sorry for the ramble but this really annoyed me. She was the only influencer I was still following as I thought she was different but clearly not..
Noooo, they’re all the same. They actually think they’re celebrities and are entitled to the freebies, which invariable they sell on their Depop shop later. Also, once they’ve wringed one avenue of revenue dry, for example Zanna Van Dijk started off as a PT blogger, they then move onto the next. She now touts herself as a conscious travel blogger. It’s ludicrous, there’s no such thing as a conscious travel blogger when you take 20 long haul flights per year. Their fight to remain relevant is just cringeworthy! I would hate to be in a business where I had to publicise every moment of my life. And they constantly post pictures of themselves crying and telling followers they are having a heavy period and how much they are hated and trolled. Get over yourselves 🙄

Reactions: 6
It's a shame because so many people will still follow influencers even when they are irritated by them. I see a lot of posts on here where people complain about an influencer for so long, but are still following. Of course people can follow whoever they want, but imagine how much less influence they would have if their following dramatically dropped. Fingers crossed we will see more of it this year!

Interesting thread and sub-thread/s about excessive brand trips. Seems like even some bloggers are getting fed up of the lengths influencing has come to

Reactions: 1
Please have a read and share of my blog with regards to this subject 🙈

This 100%! The White Company stuff quality deteriorated in the past 5-6 years or so but prices have become exorbitant (I mean, how much can you charge for an acrylic throw or a scratchy blanket?). It’s not just influencers who are greedy, brands are too, and I think this puts off people off buying their stuff as well.

Brands that I no longer respect thanks to influencers:
Dior
Bottega Venetta
Balenciaga
Louis Vuitton
Charlotte Tilbury (her makeup breaks me out so it’s tit as well)
By Terry
NARS
Jimmy Choo