Influencer Industry

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I really hope so too. Last year and the year before I used to enjoy going to bed in the evening and catching up on other mums stories. It was my chill time when the kids were settled but I soon realised they were all full of the same tit and advertising the same tit.

I'm sorry but an insta mum advertising a car is not going to make me buy that car even if I was in the market for a car at the time. Or even more affordable things I'm just not interested in buying it unless I need it.

It also really started to sicken me seeing them on yet another gifted day out or holiday. I now spend my chill time reading Tattle as its brought me so much perspective of the real world outside mamas and meet and greet markets.

For Tattle I am thankful. : )

Reactions: 23
What would really start the death is a big company saying they are no longer using infuencers - citing the markets saturated, loads have fake followers, people don't trust them anymore and they offered poor value for money.

• Heart
Reactions: 27
Are there any brands that you are particularly sick of seeing being constantly gifted or promoted?
I’m Fed up with seeing those expensive Balsamhill Christmas trees being gifted to wealthy individuals. They gifted a lady who already owns at least 7 Xmas trees 🤦‍♀️ Oh and The White Company keep on advertising their products too by gifting or paying fees. The worst was a £1k outdoor fire pit gifted to a very wealthy family. The greed of these people who take take take and advertise to make money, but insist they are only doing it to share with their loyal followers. Yeah right!

Reactions: 7
Are there any brands that you are particularly sick of seeing being constantly gifted or promoted?
I’m Fed up with seeing those expensive Balsamhill Christmas trees being gifted to wealthy individuals. They gifted a lady who already owns at least 7 Xmas trees 🤦‍♀️ Oh and The White Company keep on advertising their products too by gifting or paying fees. The worst was a £1k outdoor fire pit gifted to a very wealthy family. The greed of these people who take take take and advertise to make money, but insist they are only doing it to share with their loyal followers. Yeah right!
I loved joules!! It was literally all I wore, then they gifted some to influencers and I’ve literally sold all my clothes. They cost a fortune and to just give them away annoyed me a lot when as a loyal customer it’s rare they offer any real discounts. We was looking into buying an Audi next year as we have dogs and kids and the boot size on some of their cars is lovely but since they’ve given them away I’ve said no to it, again just because it’s such an expensive car and they’re just handing them out.

M&S literally peed me of when they went through a faze of having insta kids as their models. 🤬 it just really bugged me.

I’m not a petty person I don’t think but these shops are all quite expensive and to be giving away as much as they do just pees me off. They could just lower their prices across the board instead of selling out to influencers and they would probably do better for it.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I loved joules!! It was literally all I wore, then they gifted some to influencers and I’ve literally sold all my clothes. They cost a fortune and to just give them away annoyed me a lot when as a loyal customer it’s rare they offer any real discounts. We was looking into buying an Audi next year as we have dogs and kids and the boot size on some of their cars is lovely but since they’ve given them away I’ve said no to it, again just because it’s such an expensive car and they’re just handing them out.

M&S literally peed me of when they went through a faze of having insta kids as their models. 🤬 it just really bugged me.

I’m not a petty person I don’t think but these shops are all quite expensive and to be giving away as much as they do just pees me off. They could just lower their prices across the board instead of selling out to influencers and they would probably do better for it.
Yes Joules do advertise a lot. M&S and Matalan too.
Amazon are selling those kid tablets for Xmas and have again gifted them to wealthy individuals whose kids have it all. I’d much rather see these go to kids who don’t have much.
Furbodog cameras! Omg I have seen so many of these the past few weeks. I have a dog and it looks a great gadget but I’m not buying as I’ve seen who they have gifted these to!
Daniel wellington watches and charlestedinteriors.
Some instagrammers realise that all they have to do is say on stories or a post that they don’t have a mirror to fill a blank wall in their home and hey presto one arrives on their doorstep! I’ve noticed quite a few whining on about needing something and then they get it 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️ Can’t stand it!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
<<moved to appropriate thread>>

Hi guys, so I've been a lurker on Tattle for a while and a much more recent poster across a couple of threads and I just wanted to get your opinions on something, which is why you might find my comment on a couple of threads - call it social analysis or whatever...

I'm mid-20's, so firsthand saw the rise of the modern 'influencer'. I sometimes kick myself because I wanted to make Youtube videos but was always frightened of people I know laughing at me so never did - to think that I could have been a Zoella and now be rolling in that sort of dosh is terribly frustrating.

It's really fascinating to see the way things have changed so quickly how people are actually making money from Youtube and Instagram. Obviously this has heightened, particularly on Instagram, since Facebook bought it.

The way things are now, it's very hard to break through that social media ceiling, because we all know that every fashion/home/beauty account, vlogger, blogger etc. etc. is just looking for clout and who can blame them? I'd love nothing more than to be in a similar position to the big accounts you see (and also why it's extra frustrating that if I started in 2009 I could be).

However, I think with the intense saturation of all these 'influencers' and the (to be honest) 'unfairness' of them being paid to advertise expensive items (why are THEY being paid ££££ to promote the ££££ item they've been given for free when muggins here on £8.50 p/h has to save to buy it) enables websites such as this to be made and for people to comment because everyone can see through the bullshit and are quite frankly annoyed and frustrated and the unfairness of it all.

I think it's safe to say that for big Organisations, this type of marketing works - and it does work - I'm always clicking aff links in the 'description bar below'.

So my question is, with more and more people seeing the light mixed in with recent scandals (MOD), how much longer do you think the career of a social media influencer will last? Or do you think it will continue and merge into something different?

If 'influencers' are to remain, what type of content is it that you think should be discussed as we go into the new decade? 'Bootea' and hair vitamins seems to have died down, so should free holidays also?

I wish I was a journo or Carrie Bradshaw so I could write a piece.

*Also do you love how ironic it is that I've mentioned how unfair this all is but in the same breath admitted I'd jump at the chance to be in that position?? Hahaha I'm a fat hypocrite x 🤪

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sick to death of seeing everyone and their dog shilling Hello Fresh. Can none of these influencers grocery shop or cool the old fashioned way?

Reactions: 17
Christmas really shows the consumerism all the gifts they are getting and there are people who are going without, I used to love IG and there were some influencers I enjoyed at the very beginning who were good for beauty and style and I'd take advice from them when they were genuine, now since majority have sold out advertising everything they get sent for free, the integrity is gone. I haven't bought anything an influencer advertised now in a long time and I would say more and more people have noticed and stopped buying from these brands too, maybe this will be the beginning of the end when these brands notice the return isn't the same. I also feel that this forum has helped - I've noticed good few new members on different threads come on and say that they thought at first tattle was full of trolls etc but once read the threads their eyes were opened.

I hope for 2020 that there will be crackdown on family vloggers and intsamams, they are the worst in my view for using their children to advertise products and basically just having them in the public eye for their thousands of followers who then know everything about them.

Reactions: 7
It’s really annoyed me how everyone seems to have been gifted a trip to Lapland UK this year 🙄. The tickets are so expensive for that and still sell out so I don’t even understand why they need to gift to influencers. I was hoping to take my children next year (an expensive treat I’d have had to save up for) but now I don’t want to. Influencers and companies who use them are sucking the fun out of everything!

Reactions: 8
For me it's all the Gusto and Hello Fresh stuff,
I'm sick to death of seeing everyone and their dog shilling Hello Fresh. Can none of these influencers grocery shop or cool the old fashioned way?
Exactly what I was going to say. X

It’s really annoyed me how everyone seems to have been gifted a trip to Lapland UK this year 🙄. The tickets are so expensive for that and still sell out so I don’t even understand why they need to gift to influencers. I was hoping to take my children next year (an expensive treat I’d have had to save up for) but now I don’t want to. Influencers and companies who use them are sucking the fun out of everything!
Exactly. Not as enjoyable when you haven't had it handed to you for free.

Reactions: 3
It has really exploded in the last 2 years, as only 3 or so years ago instagram was more about make up and hair inspiration, arty photography and journaling. I know bloggers were using it long before youtubers spilled into it but I think it really became saturated when youtubers expanded their reach into insta as a side hustle.

Now I'm nearing 30 I am starting to feel like I'm wiser to the ads and am far less impressionable. When I think of the money I have wasted over my 20s on tat that I fell for buying....😱 Wish I had that money back! Going forward I'm much more inclined to invest, reuse etc, just like we all did 50, 60 years ago. From 70s onwards consumerism has exploded. We need a bit more of 'make do an mend', 'reduce, reuse, recycle' mentality. I do wonder though at this point as a society are we trapped into consumerism forever because the economy and jobs depend on the scale of production and exchanges we are used to? So many livelihoods depend on retail and consumption 😬 It will be interesting how it all goes in the next decade...

Reactions: 12
I primarily use Instagram to follow my friends, a few brands and photography accounts. I follow a few ‘influencers’ purely because they are (unintentionally) hilarious and will keep up with others who are local but recently I thought maybe I was missing out on something so started following some of the over 40 fashion type accounts. I was quite enjoying them until last week one did an ad for a mattress. A bleeping mattress. I instantly unfollowed and I can’t have been the only one. We’re at saturation point - people are cracking onto the fact that anything will be shilled if the price is right and I can’t see how this is sustainable. Plus, thankfully, the more ‘reuse, reduce, recycle’ ecological Instagram movement is gathering pace and companies will be left behind if they don’t change their business model and strategy to reflect this. People are buying less crap, becoming more aware of the impact they are having on the planet, asking more of the brands they use and having more empathy to those who have less. I feel that the end of an endless stream of influencer advertising is nigh...

Didn’t know Asda gave away food! Is this Xmas food that they are advertising?
Asda are running a charity campaign to help combat hunger. Ironically they pay fees to instagrammers to tell followers about the charity. Wonder how many mouths they could feed on fees paid out alone?
Im also sick and tired of people who are clearly advertising a product but don’t declare it, or try hiding the fact they have been paid a fee. So many gullible people out there worshipping instagrammers who are fake and their lives are as fake as anything!
I posted on another thread yesterday but I think insta are trying to clamp down on this. Yesterday I was sueeveyed on 5 people’s stories to see if they were showing ads. Almost all were hiding ads and were either product placing items or talking about items or just planning hiding ad/gifted. Let’s hope that this is the start of a big clamp down.

Loads!!
M&s
Matalan
Iconic
Asda
Wallis
M&co
Nars
Charlotte Tibury
Chambers & beau jewelly
I could go on ...
These are the ones that I actively know often gift holidays, Uk breaks, jewellery make up and clothing and use influencers to advertise or promote them. These are also brands I now no longer actively use unless necessary.

Reactions: 6
Instagram influencers really get my back up so I’d be very glad to see the back of them.
I have a number of issues with it all.
1. Exploiting their children for monetary gain, without their consent
2. Promoting a lifestyle that is definitely not real
3. Lying to get people to buy crap they don’t need...not environmentally friendly, more packaging, more plastic, most unnecessary crap that will probably be thrown away.
4. Not be 100% transparent in what is an ad or what has been gifted.
5. These people could do so much good with the stuff they are gifted/ paid ad fees for. Most of them do not need the money or the stuff (especially food) they are given. I’d have much more respect if they did the promo and then gave the food to a food bank or something.
6. Giving people mental health issues when they true to keep up with what’s been #ad #gifted down their throats on a daily basis

my list could go on.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Didn’t know Asda gave away food! Is this Xmas food that they are advertising?
Asda are running a charity campaign to help combat hunger. Ironically they pay fees to instagrammers to tell followers about the charity. Wonder how many mouths they could feed on fees paid out alone?
Im also sick and tired of people who are clearly advertising a product but don’t declare it, or try hiding the fact they have been paid a fee. So many gullible people out there worshipping instagrammers who are fake and their lives are as fake as anything!
One influencer got lots of the Extra Special range Christmas food,booze and Christmas crackers- for herself and husband.
The other got stuff to make a steak dinner to advertise how asda have reduced their packaging.

• Wow
Even the local smaller “ influencers“ in my area are becoming smug , false etc . I run my own business and was asked to join numerous Ig pods it’s mainly full of these bloggers I stayed a month and left. I did not like commenting for the sake of it to receive a comment back. It’s not organic or genuine.
A lot of my self employed friends are steering clear of this way to reach our ideal clients .

I had a chat with a blogger mum we have mutual friends she explained how it all works for her crew and a post was approx £40 per post and that’s a small blogger , i know someone Ig do really create good content and make an effort with ad posts . Not sure what my point is ha. But yes I feel brands need to wise up

Reactions: 3
One influencer got lots of the Extra Special range Christmas food,booze and Christmas crackers- for herself and husband.
The other got stuff to make a steak dinner to advertise how asda have reduced their packaging.
Asda are supporting the hunger charity yet giving away food to those who can afford it. Paying fees to women to advertise the charity even though they don’t shop there!
Would really love to see Asda donating food to real families who are truly struggling - that would be a much nicer thing to do especially at Christmas time. Much more charitable.

• Heart
It really annoyed me when Dog's Trust apparently paid Mrs Hinch 10 grand to have a Dog's Trust highlight on her Instagram page! I stopped donating money after that and just send the odd toys and treats now.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 11