Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Yel

Chatty Member
Seems like the best place to post this news from Australia; at least one country is starting to take serious action.

Any influencer who relies on skincare, supplements or protein powder will need to find a new job.

Influencers will be banned from receiving payment or benefits from spruiking health and wellness products.
274805961_150510454073669_9165244389663554099_n.jpg
274638811_296095085923028_3937862936716858203_n.jpg
274759172_634952960911356_721885889444942738_n.jpg
274602107_1251869408638392_8451170061024907859_n.jpg
274634009_3085829341671320_1633135607808015134_n.jpg

(source The Australian https://www.theaustralian.com.au/)

Article : https://archive.is/XBwN0

So many influencers in the UK promote supplements and skincare so fingers crossed something similar is introduced.

The papers are always going on about something needs to be done about tattle (because it allows opinions that these busisnes entities can't delete), but silent about influencers damaging unregulated actions on society🤦‍♀️

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 471

Yel

Chatty Member
I truly look forward to the time society looks back at influencers with bewilderment that they were subjected to next to no regulation for so long and that anyone who expressed a less than fawning opinion was called a jealous troll.

• Heart
Reactions: 155

smirkingrevenge

VIP Member
Seems like the best place to post this news from Australia; at least one country is starting to take serious action.

Any influencer who relies on skincare, supplements or protein powder will need to find a new job.

Influencers will be banned from receiving payment or benefits from spruiking health and wellness products.
View attachment 1088815View attachment 1088816View attachment 1088817View attachment 1088818View attachment 1088819

So many influencers in the UK promote supplements and skincare so fingers crossed something similar is introduced.

The papers are always going on about something needs to be done about tattle because it allows opinions that these buusness entities can't delete, but silent about influencers damaging unregulated actions on society🤦‍♀️
This is great news! I hope it catches on!

• Heart
Reactions: 70

Greed-Futures

I hope it's the year we say goodbye to mummy vloggers and family influencers. Cannot stand people pimping out their children for a paycheck.

• Heart
Reactions: 62

Yel

Chatty Member
I'm hopefull the whole influencer industry will pop in 2020. It's getting crazy, people with 40k followers are earning enough to support a whole family by being paid by brands to influence people to buy stuff they got for free.

Then to make enough you have to have such low standards and do ADs for anything even if it contradicts what you were flogging last week.

Maybe this could be used as a thread to collect news stories that mark the end or decline?

This advert is playing on the radio a lot:

"Radio - original influencer, with 36 million real followers"

Reactions: 50

Brian Butterfield

VIP Member

View attachment 1088815View attachment 1088816View attachment 1088817View attachment 1088818View attachment 1088819

The papers are always going on about something needs to be done about tattle because it allows opinions that these busisnes entities can't delete, but silent about influencers damaging unregulated actions on society🤦‍♀️
ABOUT FUCKING TIME!!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 49
D

Deleted member

I'm hopefull the whole influencer industry will pop in 2020. It's getting crazy, people with 40k followers are earning enough to support a whole family by being paid by brands to influence people to buy stuff they got for free. Then to make enough you have to have such low standards and do ADs for anything even if it contradicts what you were flogging last week.

Maybe this could be used as a thread to collect news stories that mark the end or decline.

This advert is playing on radio alot:
I really hope it is. Instagram is the new QVC and I am no longer able to be influenced. In fact,seeing the blatant consumerism and easy come, easy go attitude to “stuff” has the opposite effect on me now. I think it leaves a bad taste in the mouth and not cos I’m a jealous hater who can’t stand to see people getting paid to post on social media.

Reactions: 33

TheGlossy

VIP Member

The papers are always going on about something needs to be done about tattle because it allows opinions that these busisnes entities can't delete, but silent about influencers damaging unregulated actions on society🤦‍♀️
I don't have enough words to express how great this is! At least a bit of common sense in this world! What a breathe of fresh air. Can someone move me to Australia now lol? They have the great weather, healthy food and common sense!

I think it was about time though. A lot of influencers keep promoting all these supplements / vitamins etc without at least including a disclaimer to tell their followers to consult their doctor first. It's downright negligent. It might put a lot of content creators out of business, but I think it is important to protect influenceable people out there who certainly do not research the product before purchasing. None of these influencers are qualified professionals.

Last edited:
Reactions: 30

Millieminion

Chatty Member
Oh no,what's every reality tv show loser going to do when they can't promote protein powder?they might actually have to get a job but surely they're too famous for that

• Haha
Reactions: 30

Yel

Chatty Member
Skincare is fine in my opinion
I think they've realised that it's just too much for them to ever regulate so better to just ban. Skincare is regulated on TV or magazine adverts but next to no regulation on social media.

Uber bitches like Lydia Millen will say she's regulated by the ASA, but all influencers know that this regulatory body can't deal with 99.9% of the social media stuff and the chance of ever being held to account is very very remote.

The ASA do some pr a few times a year to give the illusion of regulation, but unless their budget is increased 10'000% they can barely scratch the surface of regulating social media.

Reactions: 29

Yel

Chatty Member
What would really start the death is a big company saying they are no longer using infuencers - citing the markets saturated, loads have fake followers, people don't trust them anymore and they offered poor value for money.

• Heart
Reactions: 27

TheGlossy

VIP Member
To be honest, I agree with skincare being regulated a) it can trigger severe allergic reactions if utilized incorrectly or in combination with the wrong products b) influencers should not be allowed to advertise supposed "miracle" products meant to treat severe skin conditions such as acne, eczema, psoriasis etc. These should be addressed by a qualified professional as they fall under the "health" umbrella given there generally is a hormonal component to these skin conditions.

There is so much that falls into skincare than just moisturizers / oils / cleansers. A lot of influencers promote acid-based products with strong ingredients that can severely damage one's skin if not utilized properly. Granted, it's no different than TV or magazine ads, but those ads are approved for publication by a particular team which generally is cautious of what is being advertised and knows the product to an extent. With influencers, it's a case of advertising just about any product, there's no thought or sign-off process behind that.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 27

sleepycat

Skincare is fine in my opinion, but promoting weight-loss products when you're followed by kids is dangerous. Some influencers even promote scam numbers and plastic surgeons 😤

Reactions: 25
D

Deleted member

I think the end is nigh. In the past it was cheap advertising for brands. But people follow so many people and are so sceptical these days.

So brands are lucky to actually get into 5% of the followers of a person and of those small amount that actually see the ad who's going to be influenced? It's so cometative out there it should naturally go back to being a small amount of money for occasional posts for something that's a good fit. Not an ad every other day for anything

I hate stuff, clutters up your life and the joy is over very quickly.
I went through a period when I was constantly buying make up and skincare when I first discovered beauty influencers...everything was always the “holy grail” and a must buy. Now I would rather go on consumer reviews and have realised I don’t actually need 27different eyeshadow pallets.

The obsession with stuff is ridiculous. I cannot stand hauls, there’s just no need

Reactions: 24