I'm thinking about charging friends and family to come to ours for Christmas - thoughts please

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I know it's ages away, but we are hosting Christmas this year and I have to start planning now.

In the past, we've mostly gone to one of my SiL's as she has lots of kids and had a large house at the time; but now she's moved into a smaller house and her kids have flown the nest. When we went there, we'd always take something(s) for entree, main, dessert and drinks - as would mostly everyone else (the odd person might turn up with a packet of biscuits, which they wouldn't touch in favour of chowing down on everything everyone else had brought) ... so it was a bit of a pot luck style.

A couple of years ago, we hosted everyone at ours and people didn't really bring a lot - even though we said we'd do the same thing as we'd often done in the past. We had heaps of food and drinks on hand 'just in case' (and to last us through the holidays), and we ended up using the lot on Christmas day. It was also really stressful as we found ourselves pretty much stuck in the kitchen or at the BBQ all the time as nobody helped with anything (it was bizarre).

This year, with us hosting, I am thinking of getting a grazing table company in. I've been quoted $2,500 for everything (including food, drinks, the table itself, a marquee, chairs, crockery, utensils, glasses, etc.). They not only come and set everything up, but they return later that night and take it all away (dirty dishes and all). The only thing we'll have to do is pass plates along, and fill our guests' glasses.

In more recent times when we've gone to my SiL's, we've easily spent $500 on all the stuff we've taken - and there's just two of us. At a guess, I'd say most of the other people have spent similar amounts - especially my other SiL who has kids. When we hosted a couple of years ago, we probably spent well over $800 for everything (I'm in NZ, where the cost of living is ridiculously high).

So, I'm thinking of going for the grazing table option, and charging a per head amount to attend. What do you guys think of this - would you be offended if someone asked you to do this? I floated the idea to my golfing buddies who all thought it was a great idea and said they'd happily pay it if they were invited (which one or two of them will be, as they're alone at Christmas). There will be about 30 people in total ... and of those, 10 are under the age of 21. $2,500 / 30 = $83.33, but it wouldn't be fair to charge the kids that - so maybe the adults $100 each, and the kids $50 each. But what do I do about people who don't drink alcohol or aren't working?

Then there's also the issue of using our pool - its chemicals cost a fortune, as does the water to fill it (we have to get a special water truck in each year to do that, which costs just over $2k) ... should I make the pool off-limits to all (which seems a bit mean), or just charge the adults $110 each and the kids $60 each to allow for that? Not all the kids will swim, and not all the adults will swim. But if there is an 'accident' in the pool (as there was by one of the kids one year when they were visiting [nobody would admit to it]), the whole thing will have to be emptied and re-filled at a later date. This *might* not happen, but if it does, then the extra money would help.

I appreciate this probably sounds a bit mean-spirited to some people (especially the bit about the pool), but we always end up feeling like we're subsidising everyone else at Christmas by the time we buy all the kids gifts and all the extra food, etc. (Adults don't get gifts, so we never benefit in that regard). We're not wealthy by any means, and spend the rest of the year being really careful with money. I'm trying to think of a way to make Christmas far less stressful than it has been in the past.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 26
I would say the pool is closed for repairs and not bother with charging the family for it.

And if you're hosting so many people, they should definitely chip in! Maybe get a catering company?

Reactions: 8
I think its cheeky as duck to ask people to pay. By all means ask folk to buy certain things to go towards dinner, but cash, no!!

The pool. Suck it up or say its out of bounds.

Reactions: 55
I’d just ask everyone to bring something again. Maybe you could make it into like a secret Santa but for food, I don’t know just an idea. Put all the food you need and everyone randomly picks one. Just since if not everyone can pay that much it might be awkward. Or what about a restaurant for food it might be cheaper, then back to yours for drinks?
I’d just make a lie up and say something is wrong with the water in the pool and you weren’t able to get anyone to come and change it yet so it’s not in use. (I’d probably tell them a little before saying I hopefully will have someone come change it before Xmas but will have to see if they can come)

Reactions: 6
My own personal opinion is that if you are inviting people over to you then you don’t then expect them to pay for it! By all means ask them to bring something with them but to ask for cash to go towards something expensive that they’ve not even asked for… no!

Reactions: 38
My own personal opinion is that if you are inviting people over to you then you don’t then expect them to pay for it! By all means ask them to bring something with them but to ask for cash to go towards something expensive that they’ve not even asked for… no!
absolutely this, i can’t imagine (as an invited guest to someone’s home) being asked to pay $100 to eat there! like you say, just ask everyone to bring something? be clear on it in the invite even to make sure it’s fair but i would never dream of asking guests of mine to pay (especially that much!) to come and eat in my house.

at the most op i suppose you could broach the subject with them and say you’re thinking of getting a catering company in and are they prepared to contribute but i would fully brace yourself for a chorus of “no”’s.

charging for use of your pool is verging on ridiculous. just say it’s off-limits for the day and (if you have one) put a cover on it 🤷🏼‍♀️

Reactions: 15
I only give my honest opinion on threads like this. So here goes

If I was going to a family members hours for Christmas and they asked for money I’d be absolutely mortified and wouldn’t go. And I tell you this for duck all, everyone would be talking behind your back about it. It takes the shine off the whole day and would make me feel as though I’m imposing as they clearly can’t afford it in the first place. I host every other year and yes it’s expensive but it’s Christmas, I have 52 weeks notice so I make sure I budget and save. If you can’t afford it just be honest and don’t host.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 64
To me personally if a family member wanted to charge me that kind of money I would be like just forget it, you have to remember that 1 it's Xmas, most people struggle financially around then an 2 that would be 300 for two adults an two kids which I assume most have, there would be absolutely no way I'd ever be forking out that kind of money to go eat at a family or friends house, I'd be cheaper taking my family out to a restaurant on Xmas day for that

I know it's stressful, trust me I've been there with being the host an having a house full, and when I say a house full an taking easily way over 70, my family is over 100 an our house is the only one that is big enough to host so we are used for party's, an no it's never cheap, but if am the one hosting then that's my responsibility to do that, sure most family will ask if they can bring round food an the majority will bring food or drink or at least say they will help, but it is never asked of them because like I say its my choice to host, if I couldn't or didn't want to be paying out then I'd simple be saying no an I wasn't hosting so many

If you want a company to come in an do it all then you have to remember that was your choice to do it an you can't expect people to chip in with somthing so expensive just because you don't want the stress

Is there a reason you need to host family AND friends? Why can't it just be close family an you can have a party later on for friends which they could be asked they are welcome to bring food but you won't be doing a meal an they need to bring own drink?

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Sounds like you're not cut out for hosting and if you can get out of it, I would suggest it. You can't ask people to pay that amount of money for a family Christmas.

Reactions: 28
Just my 2 cents....
We always alternated Xmas with my OHs parents (my family don't celebrate xmas) and we never had to pay/contribute (although I would make a starter or dessert or sort out boxing day meals etc). Now I only have one in-law and for the last few years we have had Xmas there physically but financially we have paid for everything (just because we make up more in terms of number of heads). Last Xmas we spent a huge amount because it had been a tit year for everyone and we wanted everyone to have a good time. None of us are wealthy, we don't live paycheck to paycheck anymore like we used to (only 5 or so years ago tbh) but we save monthly to make sure we have enough to cover the Xmas period. We had a few extra heads to pay for last year so we cut down on the kids presents budget and I didn't buy anything for myself or OH (usually we get a budget each to get one thing we really want). Everyone at the table offered to contribute but we refused, it was something we have always enjoyed doing. Plus everyone did contribute in other ways (extra pressies for the kids, bought drinks/snacks or made an extra dish that i didn't have time to). We usually have a WhatsApp group from about october where we exchange gift lists, so I use that in December to discuss xmas menu and I feel comfortable enough to ask for contributions in terms of cooking/bringing things but I would never charge per head.

I completely appreciate the costs of hosting can be ridiculous, especially OP when you have 30 guests! (We have only ever had up to 10). I would open a dialogue re costs and give some options plus costs. See what the response is. I would hope that of they were nice/decent people they would contribute where they can.

Re pool - considering the incident you mentioned last time I would just say its not in use

Reactions: 4
I know it's ages away, but we are hosting Christmas this year and I have to start planning now.

In the past, we've mostly gone to one of my SiL's as she has lots of kids and had a large house at the time; but now she's moved into a smaller house and her kids have flown the nest. When we went there, we'd always take something(s) for entree, main, dessert and drinks - as would mostly everyone else (the odd person might turn up with a packet of biscuits, which they wouldn't touch in favour of chowing down on everything everyone else had brought) ... so it was a bit of a pot luck style.

A couple of years ago, we hosted everyone at ours and people didn't really bring a lot - even though we said we'd do the same thing as we'd often done in the past. We had heaps of food and drinks on hand 'just in case' (and to last us through the holidays), and we ended up using the lot on Christmas day. It was also really stressful as we found ourselves pretty much stuck in the kitchen or at the BBQ all the time as nobody helped with anything (it was bizarre).

This year, with us hosting, I am thinking of getting a grazing table company in. I've been quoted $2,500 for everything (including food, drinks, the table itself, a marquee, chairs, crockery, utensils, glasses, etc.). They not only come and set everything up, but they return later that night and take it all away (dirty dishes and all). The only thing we'll have to do is pass plates along, and fill our guests' glasses.

In more recent times when we've gone to my SiL's, we've easily spent $500 on all the stuff we've taken - and there's just two of us. At a guess, I'd say most of the other people have spent similar amounts - especially my other SiL who has kids. When we hosted a couple of years ago, we probably spent well over $800 for everything (I'm in NZ, where the cost of living is ridiculously high).

So, I'm thinking of going for the grazing table option, and charging a per head amount to attend. What do you guys think of this - would you be offended if someone asked you to do this? I floated the idea to my golfing buddies who all thought it was a great idea and said they'd happily pay it if they were invited (which one or two of them will be, as they're alone at Christmas). There will be about 30 people in total ... and of those, 10 are under the age of 21. $2,500 / 30 = $83.33, but it wouldn't be fair to charge the kids that - so maybe the adults $100 each, and the kids $50 each. But what do I do about people who don't drink alcohol or aren't working?

Then there's also the issue of using our pool - its chemicals cost a fortune, as does the water to fill it (we have to get a special water truck in each year to do that, which costs just over $2k) ... should I make the pool off-limits to all (which seems a bit mean), or just charge the adults $110 each and the kids $60 each to allow for that? Not all the kids will swim, and not all the adults will swim. But if there is an 'accident' in the pool (as there was by one of the kids one year when they were visiting [nobody would admit to it]), the whole thing will have to be emptied and re-filled at a later date. This *might* not happen, but if it does, then the extra money would help.

I appreciate this probably sounds a bit mean-spirited to some people (especially the bit about the pool), but we always end up feeling like we're subsidising everyone else at Christmas by the time we buy all the kids gifts and all the extra food, etc. (Adults don't get gifts, so we never benefit in that regard). We're not wealthy by any means, and spend the rest of the year being really careful with money. I'm trying to think of a way to make Christmas far less stressful than it has been in the past.
Jesus Christ why did you invite them at all, this sounds like you’d rather drain the pool kick your husband out and eat a ready made meal cold so as to save on the microwave energy,

you offered.
You didn’t off to provide the location you offered to do Christmas?
If you don’t want to do it than tell them all about your idea and tell them you’re prepared to offer up a location, but you’re not “hosting Christmas” you’re providing a location, be straight, I’m exhausted and it’s only March.!

you sound very bitter about what’s been spent and done and ate in the past, I’d be afraid you were watching me to make sure I didn’t take more than my allocated 10 sprouts or to see if I took a celebration from the box aunt Linda brought,
and if you limit my sprouts were no longer family. 😏 Linda got those celebrations last year and rubbed off the date. Keep them. 😐

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 48
Girl it’s only March! You obviously don’t want to host/aren’t cut out for it. Get out of it and go to someone else’s, less stress. Stop thinking about Christmas, there’s months to go 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 24
Just read the original post to OH, his response:

If you want to host so bad, don't fill the pool this summer and use the money to pay for the catering. Job done

Hes a lot blunter than I am 😆

Reactions: 9
It's a terrible idea. You can't host people and then charge them for it. That's the whole point of hosting! Most people will probably decline, and the you can bet that the ones who don't will be bitching about it behind your back.

Reactions: 14
It's a terrible idea. You can't host people and then charge them for it. That's the whole point of hosting! Most people will probably decline, and the you can bet that the ones who don't will be bitching about it behind your back.
If it were me, I’d decline AND witch behind your back :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 36
I completely appreciate the costs of hosting can be ridiculous, especially OP when you have 30 guests! (We have only ever had up to 10). I would open a dialogue re costs and give some options plus costs. See what the response is. I would hope that of they were nice/decent people they would contribute where they can.
i do agree that it’s a big number and that, very possibly, OP could set expectations now and say “look because there’s so many of us i’m thinking about getting caterers in, what do you all think of that?” and see if everyone is prepared to contribute. BUT $100 is just a ridiculous amount to me. as said upthread, you may as well just all go out to a nice restaurant instead for that price.

i also note op that it’s $100 for adults and $50 for children, and then you mention that one of your sisters-in-law has a lot of kids. so how much exactly would she and her family be paying?

Reactions: 9
Well, in my family it’s a given that we share the cost. So I don’t think it’s a big deal asking everyone to contribute but that is a lot of money. Could you not just ask everyone to pitch in food and jobs wise on the day? It makes it a hell of a lot easier!

I agree with what others have said, you can't ask people to pay such an obscene amount to spend Xmas at yours, you invited them, if you can't afford to host or don't want to then don't!

We alternate hosting and wouldn't dream of asking for money, we usually supply the booze but that's our choice because we're into wine.

I would just tell everyone, you've been thinking about it and have decided to have a small Xmas just your household 🤷. If you're already stressing about it in March, you're not going to enjoy the day, why put yourself through it, no one is holding a gun to your head

I wouldn’t go. If I was in your family, we’d be $280 if you had your pool open - neither my husband or I drink and I would be paranoid what we ate was being calculated.

For that sort of money I would rather we went to a nice restaurant where we could relax and not feel like we were unwanted guests.

It’s alright to ask us and you’d golf buddies but maybe you should just cut to the chase and ask your family? Or maybe just say now you’re not going to be able to host. Whether you tell them it’s because you guys have chipped in more over the years and someone shat in your pool is another thing.

Reactions: 10