Iain Lee and Katherine Boyle - Twitch, etc.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Been lurking this thread and decided to chip in. What gets my goat is that Iain Lee of even recent years was utterly fantastic- sharp and funny and creative. I still have to giggle at some of the madcap episodes he pulled off at the TLNA.

Not so much these days. What happened?!

I think it all stated to go south when him and Kath had merchandise made- t shirts and the like. MASSIVE hubris. The decline in quality of the show coincided with them flogging stuff with their names on it, and with Iain and Kath’s vanity. At the same time the TLNA became less about Iain the mercurial presenter and more about Iain the mordant person-alternately banging on about how sad/great he was every night. Kath blowing smoke up his proverbial, etc. Not an interesting listen.

In short I blame the t shirts.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I think the downturn started when he kept getting sacked (obvs) but then in his subsequent gigs didn’t have a proper producer to rein him in. Kath just plays to his ego and self-obsession, so we just get endless shows where he drones on and on about his own issues, and she lets him. The bits where he moans about his miserable life and begs for money are really uncomfortable to listen to.
One of the issues I think is that he had some success quite early on with TV (he was co-hosting the 11 O’Clock show in his mid 20’s), but the bit-players on his show went on to massive global success (Ricky Gervais, Sacha Baron Cohen), whereas he did not. That must be hard, but of course no one is owed success - even so, I can imagine that this has contributed to Iain’s bitterness.
I know he claims to be training to be a counsellor but I really think he’s not suited to it.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Yes, I agree with that Tabitha. It is incredibly rare to maintain a profile when you’re famous. Times, tastes and people change, and the wisest stars/celebs accept and adapt to the inevitable. I think Rick Gervais and Ali G are outliers in that sense seeing as they are still fairly visible and producing globally recognised work (maybe it helps that they are both comedy geniuses? Only joshing). Our Iain was still wanging on about his early fall from grace years later, and then when IACGMOUH (I’m a celebrity get me out uf here) happened it was a similar dynamic- the shelf life for recognition following that show is brutally limited. I mean what do I know but I think Iain may well have the potential to be a good counsellor, mind. At times on the TLNA he was very intuitive with callers and able to cut to the quick of their issues. Perhaps outside of a publicly geared arena, and without a lingering team of sycophants in the chat enabling his worst excesses, he could thrive in the role.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Yeah, and for a while their table at the asylum is fun and interesting to be sat at. They welcome people to share the table. But then they get bored of the inmates who have sat on the table by them. Kath gets ‘snarky’. Iain is ‘disappointed in them’. Remember, Iain and Kath are COOL. Then Iain starts moaning about the table itself. He says the table is not good enough for him. In the meantime the powers that be have taken the table away from Iain. Iain goes bananas about this, etc etc.

As for the video: THAT is the SHOW! THAT’S THE SHOW! And so on.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
I loved Iain on the 11 O'Clock show and followed his career on the radio. I loved his LBC show and was delighted when I found out he was at Virgin and I downloaded the podcast every day. I then followed him to Three Counties and Talk Radio. I even called him once when he was doing the Pocket Radio show podcast.

I fell out of love with Iain about six months before the end of his stint at Talk Radio and I can pinpoint it to one incident. I used to enjoy the Rabbit Hole podcast he did with Kath and the live audience. On one of the episodes, Kath sang song, I think it was 'Islands in the Stream', I may be wrong. But it was the most cringeworthy thing I have ever heard in my life. I genuinely felt embarrassed for the woman as you could tell she was giving it her all, but she was just awful.

It was almost like that one incident peeled back a layer and i was able to see the radio show for what it was. It wasn't about the callers or fun banter anymore. It was self indulgent nonsense purely to feed ego of Iain and Kath. Genuinely think I would have screamed if I heard him talk about stealing strawberries one more time.

Gave up on the shows around that time. Stopped downloading the podcast and haven't watched or listened to anything he's done since. I still follow him on twitter, but even that sometimes annoys me.

I know he's been through a lot and i feel sorry for him. But he really likes to let people know that you should feel sorry for him.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
To sum them up. They are everything, they say; they don’t like….

Last edited:
  • Heart
I know that Barry from Watford was a regular on Iain's call in shows. Barry was hugely funny. I've just got home after a bloody lovely evening watching Clinton Baptiste, live.

Full house for Alex Lowe! Such a talent.

I loved Iain on the 11 O'Clock show and followed his career on the radio. I loved his LBC show and was delighted when I found out he was at Virgin and I downloaded the podcast every day. I then followed him to Three Counties and Talk Radio. I even called him once when he was doing the Pocket Radio show podcast.

I fell out of love with Iain about six months before the end of his stint at Talk Radio and I can pinpoint it to one incident. I used to enjoy the Rabbit Hole podcast he did with Kath and the live audience. On one of the episodes, Kath sang song, I think it was 'Islands in the Stream', I may be wrong. But it was the most cringeworthy thing I have ever heard in my life. I genuinely felt embarrassed for the woman as you could tell she was giving it her all, but she was just awful.

It was almost like that one incident peeled back a layer and i was able to see the radio show for what it was. It wasn't about the callers or fun banter anymore. It was self indulgent nonsense purely to feed ego of Iain and Kath. Genuinely think I would have screamed if I heard him talk about stealing strawberries one more time.

Gave up on the shows around that time. Stopped downloading the podcast and haven't watched or listened to anything he's done since. I still follow him on twitter, but even that sometimes annoys me.

I know he's been through a lot and i feel sorry for him. But he really likes to let people know that you should feel sorry for him.
This is exactly the problem. They're demanding money for something that isn't very good, because they think that they deserve to be paid to make something they enjoy making. Unfortunately, that isn't how life works, and if you have to beg, plead and emotionally blackmail your audience into consuming your product, it's probably tit and you should try doing something else.

• Heart
Reactions: 9

I don’t half feel sorry for Kath. Mad Stockholm syndrome going on there.

She copies EVERYTHING our Iain does! Iain buys a Dansette, so does old Boylie. Iain gets a moped and then flipping Kath does. However, it was a weird and unfortunate coincidence that Kath’s marriage hit the rocks in the same way that Iain’s did, very odd (and that she spoke about it on the TLNA just like Iain done). Let’s hope that Iain never ‘sticks his hand in the fire’, eh?

Islands in the stream, that is what they are, indeed!

• Sad
Reactions: 4
I don’t half feel sorry for Kath. Mad Stockholm syndrome going on there.

She copies EVERYTHING our Iain does! Iain buys a Dansette, so does old Boylie. Iain gets a moped and then flipping Kath does. However, it was a weird and unfortunate coincidence that Kath’s marriage hit the rocks in the same way that Iain’s did, very odd (and that she spoke about it on the TLNA just like Iain done). Let’s hope that Iain never ‘sticks his hand in the fire’, eh?

Islands in the stream, that is what they are, indeed!
It’s a mighty odd relationship, that’s for sure. Some co-dependency issues at the very least. Neither of them is good for the other, at all.
Kath was an experienced producer, and could have had a stable career and income, yet she hitched her wagon to Iain, who is on a course to complete career destruction and is taking her down with him.
I don’t get it.

Reactions: 6
Anyone heard the new radio thing Iain is doing? I still have faith that old pencilneck can pull it out of the bag but CBA to find out for myself.

Reactions: 2
Anyone heard the new radio thing Iain is doing? I still have faith that old pencilneck can pull it out of the bag but CBA to find out for myself.
RadioAnywhere is actually pretty good. Good mix of music and some interesting shows, only heard one of his “live” phone in shows, which was good, but slightly ruined by the Twitch regulars competing for Air Time. Iain’s much better without Katherine, that’s for sure, maybe it’s just me, but her patronising voice, even though, just on an advert… made me switch off.
Maybe I need counselling.

RadioAnywhere is actually pretty good. Good mix of music and some interesting shows, only heard one of his “live” phone in shows, which was good, but slightly ruined by the Twitch regulars competing for Air Time. Iain’s much better without Katherine, that’s for sure, maybe it’s just me, but her patronising voice, even though, just on an advert… made me switch off.
Maybe I need counselling.
Before his Twitter timeline was cleansed this evening he did say that he was giving Radio Anywhere three months.

Before his Twitter timeline was cleansed this evening he did say that he was giving Radio Anywhere three months.
Three months isn’t enough time to become established. To work, it’ll have to be consistent, or it will crash and burn.

• Heart
I feel like Iain is someone who does mean very well but is the absolute last person who should be let loose on vulnerable people with serious issues. I'm actually very worried anyway about how it seems like just anybody can get work in the mental health field. It seems so poorly regulated.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.