Iain Lee and Katherine Boyle - Twitch, etc.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just starting a thread here due to deleted posts on another site (DS). Freedom of speech, guys!

About me, discovered Iain and Katherine a couple of years ago, attended (and loved!) a live Rabbit Hole show, since tried to follow on Twitch (as was) though the chat was such an 'in crowd' I stopped bothering.

Since then, no more Twitch to watch and I haven't watched the new shows on YouTube or the shows behind the paywall. Still hope that Iain and Katherine can make a good go of things!

Reactions: 2
Used to love him as a teenager on LBC, but seems he’s gone the way of Jack Monroe re: grifting? “Forgot” to get a cat insured so crowd funded vet treatment whilst having over £100k cash at bank in his company? Yikes!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Used to love him as a teenager on LBC, but seems he’s gone the way of Jack Monroe re: grifting? “Forgot” to get a cat insured so crowd funded vet treatment whilst having over £100k cash at bank in his company? Yikes!
Wow, didn't know about the 100k. Cringe! Yes to the comparison with Jack's grift and sadfishing!

Copied from DS before it gets deleted (I agree with the person who shared this, it was grim):

'Also found seeing Iain trying to involve a group of intoxicated women in his live video for content, who didn't even know who he was, to be a bit disturbing. Asking them repeatedly if they wanted to get a selfie with him, him being far keener on the idea than any of them seemed. Then posting a lot of tweets about him being the victim of abuse from drunk women on twitter afterwards. I wonder how he would have felt if someone had filmed him when he was intoxicated and posted it online for entertainment. No wonder he deleted all those tweets. Striving for authenticity indeed.'

• Sad
  • Wow
Wow, didn't know about the 100k. Cringe! Yes to the comparison with Jack's grift and sadfishing!

Copied from DS before it gets deleted (I agree with the person who shared this, it was grim):

'Also found seeing Iain trying to involve a group of intoxicated women in his live video for content, who didn't even know who he was, to be a bit disturbing. Asking them repeatedly if they wanted to get a selfie with him, him being far keener on the idea than any of them seemed. Then posting a lot of tweets about him being the victim of abuse from drunk women on twitter afterwards. I wonder how he would have felt if someone had filmed him when he was intoxicated and posted it online for entertainment. No wonder he deleted all those tweets. Striving for authenticity indeed.'
I only looked it up cos his grift was mentioned on Jack’s threads and I thought hold the duck up, he’s been on LBC since I was a child, done I’m a celeb, TV, radio, the lot and you’re telling me he doesn’t have a few grand in the bank? His company was due to pay a lot out but that indicates a high salary taken from it, all very suspect.

I haven’t followed him in adulthood but isn’t he in recovery? I am too so this isn’t from a bad place but personally I wouldn’t engage with a group of drunk women as it’s an unfamiliar / high risk situation for me, for a bloke it’s icky on top of risky for his own well-being.

According to his posts on Twitter, he is indeed in recovery and also has had a recent diagnosis of ADHD. He is training to become a Counsellor. He clearly has lots going on.

It appears from what people are saying on DS that the shows that he and Katherine are showing behind a paywall are focussed on the money side of things, rather than the content they produce. I haven't paid to hear myself, so can't confirm.

A real shame though, if true. I've heard some old LBC clips on YouTube... hilariously funny, especially when Barry from Watford and Maureen from Tottenham were on!

I do wish Iain and Katherine well, though am totally against the censorship on the other site (many pages long), hence the thread here. They must be complaining when people comment, and posts are deleted. I know Tattle is quite robust! I&K often post, then delete from Twitter...though, yep. The internet never forgets!

• Heart
(copied from DS)

Latest tweet from Iain:

"Here's the schedule for this week. Most of it is behind the paywall.
Being honest, we've lost 22 Patrons this month. We are getting close to having to stop doing shows and knocking this on the head. "

I'm actually quite sad to hear this, we knew it was coming but reality is still sad.

And, worryingly:

The latest is -
“ Well today has ended on a worrying low. Off to bed. I predicted the 26th would be something big. And it was. It was the day I realised my career is dead.”

Your career isn't over Iain...just get back to doing what you do best. Producing great content that people enjoy. You can do it!

• Wow
I cancelled my Patreon subscription this month. Im saving to buy a house and it just wasn't worth it for me. I did want to support them, as I think Iain is talented (and I like Kath, too). I might tune back in in a couple of months; although I think it's best if they just give-up now and do something else with their lives (ie something that they actually want to do.)

There was just no consistency with the shows; they are unreliable and as a result I just wasn't tuning in and then I lost all motivation to find out when to next tune in - I just wasn't interested anymore. If shows were at a set time, on a set schedule, on a set platform - things might have been different. Their heart isn't in it and it shows. I don't want to watch something where it's obvious the presenters don't want to be there. They're lazy and unpredictable with scheduling. They cancel shows all the time and it was quite often that I'd find myself having gone a whole month and I hadn't tuned in for a single show. I have no interest in the podcasts or VOD stuff. I was only interested in the watch-along live shows in the evenings.

I have no idea what time they do shows nor on what platform. It all just seems to be random and underwhelming. What a shame. Iain needs a Tv or radio gig and a proper boss to make him work. There's no work ethic there at the moment, and they don't seem to understand why people are not tuning in.

Consistency is key, and there's just none of it. I really enjoyed it when they were on Twitch 5 nights a week without fail... then they got bored and started missing/ cancelling shows and their viewers dropped. Then they just didn't appear for weeks at a time; then their viewers dropped even more. Then their contract wasn't renewed. Patreon has no set schedule and it really affects interaction.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
It's a shame but I think he's probably right about his career. The trouble is, the pattern has been the same since he started on radio; within a couple of years at a station, he's fallen out with, or bad mouthed, some of his presenter colleagues; not been able to work with some of his producers and let the audience know about it; alienated a percentage of listeners that don't get that 'that is the show, that. is. the. show.' then spent huge chunks of the show ruminating on what the show actually is; and then turned on the station (or Twitch) itself when the gig is up. A few weeks later he's in the press heartbroken and baffled as to what's happened. He's unprofessional and unreliable and it's becoming even more apparent now he's had to go it alone.

He can't stick at anything. Ideas come out like they are the greatest thing since sliced bread and then disappear with no more said. Fine (to a degree) when you've got the day job and they are side projects, but not when you're flogging them to your patrons (and some of it was free before) as a way to keep the lights on. He's seen people podcasting and getting an audience so half arsed that and given up, seen Limmy streaming games and getting an audience - half arsed that and given up. And yet he feels he deserves more out of life somehow.

If rewatching Paddington Green wasn't dull enough, I noticed he's sneaking the videos up on Vimeo because he knows nicking other people's content is a takedown on Youtube, but despite that he hasn't twigged that nicking other people's content and talking over it possibly isn't worth £7 a month - the reams of content he and Kath trumpet is just regurgitated crap in the main.

What or where is the show? It's called Iain and Katherine on Patreon. Kath's Twitter banner is TNLA (but the link is Twitch/iainlee). It's the iain lee account on Youtube. But only contact him IF YOU KNOW the answer as to why he can't work anything properly.

It's such a shame, but unlike some of the posters on DS I'm not sure there's a way back. They are both so entitled but lazy. I used to love his radio shows LBC and Absolute in the main, I was thrilled to rediscover him in the early days of him being on Talk Radio, but it was clear very quickly the fun had gone along with the callers. We all grow up and move on, I suppose, yet he doesn't seem to have.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Oh dear. A real shame. I know from experience that the hardcore fans can make it unwelcoming for new people to join the TLNA 'community'. At the time I was discovering Iain and Katherine there was some scandal about him sharing :mpics, so perhaps friends/fans were closing ranks then to protect Iain, I don't know. Perhaps Iain and Katherine are too involved with their fans, leaving them fearful of losing them? Catering to their 'in' crowd rather than the masses.

Reactions: 1
I think I’m right in saying the Twitch deal gave them front page on the site at times and ‘passing trade’ as it were, but as they started chasing their contracted hours they were left with the fans, as you said in your first post @whybrows .

I think the move to Patreon closes that door to any passing trade further as Iain and Kath preach to the choir via existing channels (free vids and Twitter). The focus shifts to ‘peace and love’ and ‘community and team’, and asking existing patrons to up their sub level and advertise for them to their followers.

It won’t be intentional, but imo the only way to increase the money will be straight up grift soon - e.g. ‘we won’t be able to keep this running much longer at this rate, if you love us and dont support the hate on all the stations we used to work for, up your Patreon level.’

I know I’ve been quite robust on here about them, but it must be really hard to be fair; you have been well known, award winning radio broadcasters and the shift to the graft of streaming and the amount of effort for small returns as you build is rough for anyone wanting quick success. But I think they still look at it like broadcasters rather than streamers. They aren’t doing something they truly love and hoping to build a following. They’re not happy; sad posting on Twitter all the time and are openly touting for work, when not long ago we were told radio was dead and this was the future.

And nothing against those that do enjoy the content on offer and are happy to pay, by the way. It’s great when you find a space with like minded folk doing things you like. I just can’t see how it lasts, and I’m sad and frustrated at what this has all become.

• Heart
Patrons seem to have taken a bigger drop than usual.
I have a script that tracks Jack Monroe’s (ultimate grifter) Patreon and do summaries for her thread, like below loool, is it worth starting this for IL? It won’t let me attach the stupid image omg

Ha, I did follow the JM thread for a while but couldn't keep up, the pages went by so fast! They do remind me of each other, IL and JM! (y)

• Haha
The guys a total narcissistic bully, a complete hypocrite and unpleasant with it, katherine is a best tedious, with a bit of passive aggression added. Yet they promote themselves as pease and love.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I stumbled over Iain Lee as a radio presenter when he, Katherine and Kelly Betts were on BBC Three Counties, I think? I downloaded the podcast of their best of the week religiously and it was great. I always thought he was a very very good broadcaster - he seemed to lose that job rather unfairly, from memory, and everything has slowly begun to unravel from that point onward.

I hoped I'm a Celeb would help him but it seems not.

Have seen a few pretty troubling headlines over the past year, sounds like he's either in need of some proper help, or is determined NOT to help himself?

Reactions: 5
A creator I support on Patreon mentioned a while back that Iain Lee had reached out to him before he started his own one, asking for advice.

The creator is an ex comic who since quitting stand up focuses on his Patreon. He puts a post out ever day and has done since he started three years ago. Posts are varied and include at least two podcasts a week, behind the scene stuff from his film etc. His advice to Iain was to be consistent and make sure people feel they are getting value for money.

From reading the comments here, it seems like Lee didn't follow the advice and was expecting people to keep paying for not a lot of content.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Are there similarities to the “Tiger King”?

They also, loved cats and craved attention, but offered nothing but, self entitlement and bitterness…. But expected the world to revolve around them.

Reactions: 1
I thought it was really interesting that Iain was asking people to record (and edit!) themselves introducing the new radio anywhere station.

Is this taking paid work away from voice actors?

Anyway, I hope that this new kind, happy, nice radio anywhere project really is kind, happy and nice.

I stumbled over Iain Lee as a radio presenter when he, Katherine and Kelly Betts were on BBC Three Counties, I think? I downloaded the podcast of their best of the week religiously and it was great. I always thought he was a very very good broadcaster - he seemed to lose that job rather unfairly, from memory, and everything has slowly begun to unravel from that point onward.

I hoped I'm a Celeb would help him but it seems not.

Have seen a few pretty troubling headlines over the past year, sounds like he's either in need of some proper help, or is determined NOT to help himself?
It's a tough one, eh. I guess having worked with those who turned into massive stars (Sacha Baron Cohen, Ricky Gervais) may have been tough to watch from BBC 3CR.

The headlines (and stuff that doesn't reach the headlines like deleted tweets, rages and regrets, 🍄 pics) are possibly more of a hindrance than a help.

Perhaps it's a lie that all publicity is good publicity.

Anyway, the new Radio Anywhere project has started, there's even some merch to purchase!

A creator I support on Patreon mentioned a while back that Iain Lee had reached out to him before he started his own one, asking for advice.

The creator is an ex comic who since quitting stand up focuses on his Patreon. He puts a post out ever day and has done since he started three years ago. Posts are varied and include at least two podcasts a week, behind the scene stuff from his film etc. His advice to Iain was to be consistent and make sure people feel they are getting value for money.

From reading the comments here, it seems like Lee didn't follow the advice and was expecting people to keep paying for not a lot of content.
I think you've hit the nail on the head, really. People like consistent content.

Trying to access shows which in the past have seemed to be set up as a select few fans-fest, unfriendly to outsiders, must have been a turn off. Perhaps better days are coming?!

He's selling the chance to have pizza with him and Katherine for £1500, so, you know. Bargain! 🍕

Have a pizza with Iain Lee and Katherine Boyle. For the bargain price of £1500.

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Haha
Have a pizza with Iain Lee and Katherine Boyle. For the bargain price of £1500.
Why, when you can be his cleaner for less than £10 per hour, but note, he will sack you if you don’t put in the hours!

delusion has no boundary.

• Wow
Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.