Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

i_hate_nonsense

This whole ‘feed my kids’ grift really grates. He’s not a charity. The selling point should be that your patronage gives you quality product, not an abstract sense of satisfaction that you are attending to the well-being of someone’s children. Find it unpalatably passive aggressive.

• Heart
Reactions: 14

styrofoamplates

I loved Iain on the 11 O'Clock show and followed his career on the radio. I loved his LBC show and was delighted when I found out he was at Virgin and I downloaded the podcast every day. I then followed him to Three Counties and Talk Radio. I even called him once when he was doing the Pocket Radio show podcast.

I fell out of love with Iain about six months before the end of his stint at Talk Radio and I can pinpoint it to one incident. I used to enjoy the Rabbit Hole podcast he did with Kath and the live audience. On one of the episodes, Kath sang song, I think it was 'Islands in the Stream', I may be wrong. But it was the most cringeworthy thing I have ever heard in my life. I genuinely felt embarrassed for the woman as you could tell she was giving it her all, but she was just awful.

It was almost like that one incident peeled back a layer and i was able to see the radio show for what it was. It wasn't about the callers or fun banter anymore. It was self indulgent nonsense purely to feed ego of Iain and Kath. Genuinely think I would have screamed if I heard him talk about stealing strawberries one more time.

Gave up on the shows around that time. Stopped downloading the podcast and haven't watched or listened to anything he's done since. I still follow him on twitter, but even that sometimes annoys me.

I know he's been through a lot and i feel sorry for him. But he really likes to let people know that you should feel sorry for him.

• Heart
Reactions: 10

Ex TLNA fan

I listened to one of Iain's LBC shows from 2005 and he asked a young woman if she is fat because 'she has a fat voice'. I wonder what feminist Kath would think of that, but then she is only a feminist on Twitter but not in real life...

• Wow
  • Angry

Tabitha D

VIP Member
I think it’s the pure desperation that puts me off. That and the bitterness and the maudlin self-pity. It’s not easy to see and very offputting. That and the constant begging - no one owes you a living, Iain! You or your weird hanger-on/enabler “mate” Kath. And as for the dick pics - that’s not so far from flashing, which is a criminal offence. I suppose he might have got away with it in the 90’s when it was all about lad mag culture, but things have moved on a bit since then. Iain though - old hat. How can he not be embarrassed by the levels he’s stooped to? I mean, inviting some poor fucker to your house for a pizza and fleecing him for the best part of £1,000??

• Heart

i_hate_nonsense

Yeah, and for a while their table at the asylum is fun and interesting to be sat at. They welcome people to share the table. But then they get bored of the inmates who have sat on the table by them. Kath gets ‘snarky’. Iain is ‘disappointed in them’. Remember, Iain and Kath are COOL. Then Iain starts moaning about the table itself. He says the table is not good enough for him. In the meantime the powers that be have taken the table away from Iain. Iain goes bananas about this, etc etc.

As for the video: THAT is the SHOW! THAT’S THE SHOW! And so on.

• Haha
  • Heart

Tabitha D

VIP Member
I think the downturn started when he kept getting sacked (obvs) but then in his subsequent gigs didn’t have a proper producer to rein him in. Kath just plays to his ego and self-obsession, so we just get endless shows where he drones on and on about his own issues, and she lets him. The bits where he moans about his miserable life and begs for money are really uncomfortable to listen to.
One of the issues I think is that he had some success quite early on with TV (he was co-hosting the 11 O’Clock show in his mid 20’s), but the bit-players on his show went on to massive global success (Ricky Gervais, Sacha Baron Cohen), whereas he did not. That must be hard, but of course no one is owed success - even so, I can imagine that this has contributed to Iain’s bitterness.
I know he claims to be training to be a counsellor but I really think he’s not suited to it.

• Heart
Reactions: 9

Traazers

VIP Member
I loved Iain on the 11 O'Clock show and followed his career on the radio. I loved his LBC show and was delighted when I found out he was at Virgin and I downloaded the podcast every day. I then followed him to Three Counties and Talk Radio. I even called him once when he was doing the Pocket Radio show podcast.

I fell out of love with Iain about six months before the end of his stint at Talk Radio and I can pinpoint it to one incident. I used to enjoy the Rabbit Hole podcast he did with Kath and the live audience. On one of the episodes, Kath sang song, I think it was 'Islands in the Stream', I may be wrong. But it was the most cringeworthy thing I have ever heard in my life. I genuinely felt embarrassed for the woman as you could tell she was giving it her all, but she was just awful.

It was almost like that one incident peeled back a layer and i was able to see the radio show for what it was. It wasn't about the callers or fun banter anymore. It was self indulgent nonsense purely to feed ego of Iain and Kath. Genuinely think I would have screamed if I heard him talk about stealing strawberries one more time.

Gave up on the shows around that time. Stopped downloading the podcast and haven't watched or listened to anything he's done since. I still follow him on twitter, but even that sometimes annoys me.

I know he's been through a lot and i feel sorry for him. But he really likes to let people know that you should feel sorry for him.
This is exactly the problem. They're demanding money for something that isn't very good, because they think that they deserve to be paid to make something they enjoy making. Unfortunately, that isn't how life works, and if you have to beg, plead and emotionally blackmail your audience into consuming your product, it's probably shit and you should try doing something else.

• Heart
today, his main focus was upon his cleaner, who he paid for 2 hours work, but…. The cleaner didn’t complete a full 2 hours. Therefore, the “false consensus” must dislike, any individual that dares to defend aforementioned cleaner.

tedious.
Vile man. By sounds of it he has a clean house, no, so job complete and pay warranted? Funny how women heavy service roles are always scrutinised by the hour / untrust worthy (the cleaner might have stolen x, or always “trust worthy” as a stipulation on community fb pages seeking recommendations!) whereas no one would say diddly if a plumber came over & fixed your problem in 10 minutes but still charge you £90 for the hour. Vile vile vile.

jimmpeas

Like chief sycophant What's On The Tapes...
D-d-don't say that! They're all making their own choices, not being manipulated at all!!

The issue is, people in a cult a) don't realise it, and b) don't tend to take kindly to being informed of the fact. It doesn't achieve anything having a pop at individuals being rinsed due to loneliness/sense of community/belonging etc.
Although a lot of them are pretty insufferable.
They'll keep coughing up cash as long as they're expected to.

The fault lies with Iain and Katherine. Guilt tripping and outright begging for money when they're well aware they have a vulnerable fanbase is unethical and gross. Especially since as a trainee counsellor you should absolutely know better.

Other streamers provide an entertainment service without the need to constantly hector and manipulate the viewers into giving more and more money. Iain (and Kath to an extent) were a thing because they had a very very good radio show, and I'm still gutted it's not on the air. There wasn't that implicit monetary transaction element between viewer and artist required to make it a thing, which made the power balance a bit more equal.

However, when you take that away - ie a national talk radio show - and then try to make Iain and Katherine The Thing on their own it falls apart. Increasingly sad schemes to keep bleeding people for ££s notwithstanding.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8

thislifesucks

Now, he needs a new car, which of course... is a reason to beg for money, despite him having savings, despite him having the money for a family holiday in Japan. No doubt, if he praises enough idiots, they will probably purchase the idiot a new car. Seriously, I'm upset I've paid to contribute to such a massive hypocrite, I had hoped for more, the non entity cannot even fake sincerity, as others have said, he is a vile person. Which leads me to his co star, Ms Archer, I don't don't doubt for a moment, there were more who worked with her... who disliked her sullen, condescending attitude.... than those who liked her. If I were her boss, I would quite happily sack Iain Lee if it meant she was also gone.
The Radio Show, called Anywhere Radio or something.... Plays old music, the Monkees and the beatles, wow, that IS new... NO WAIT, THIS IS THE SHOW, THIS IS THE SHOW. You can pay to broadcast your podcast crap, that nobody will watch... for MONEY... He Might even mention your name!!! OH Come All Ye Faithful.....

Iain, if your reading this, {which I suspect you are!}, how can you possibly think you are in a position to be a counsellor, an A level maths exam has less problems than you. I strongly suspect; it is more than likely, your paying to be a Life Coach you absolute joker, did you not watch Peep Show?

All That Said... I do enjoy watching a good car crash...

Be interesting to see TooManyCatsLtd end of year accounts. Could he claim that off expenses, oh indeed he can, he's playing the game, and it's a morally corrupt one.

Saying that... Katherine mentioned car issues recently... Bet they both get new cars in the next few months.... Must be a hard life

Meant to say, he can claim the VAT Straight back on any vehicle purchase. Therefore, it's in their interests to buy vehicles and get paid for buying them.... which is ok I suppose, it's what's allowed bu UK HMRC...

That said.... it cannot be morally right to beg money and plead poverty when its a tax incentive! Especially, having seen those that contribute a great deal to him, it seems very wrong, some of whom seem quite vulnerable. EG. if I had a neighbour like Alistair, who regularly had a guy turn up and take £20 of him, {the reason that they watched reruns of Des O Conner together....} I like to think... I would deal with him appropriately.

These two are not right at all. In many ways, I hope the carry on and are exposed.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Heart
When they addressed the dick pics incidents did Cath admit that she had had a hand in it at all? (I am not saying that she did- I am just wondering if the rumours on FB were true).
IF she did take them then it might not be fair to tar her with the same brush: if a mate of mine said, ‘Hey Nonsense, would you mind taking a few pics of me in the nude so I can consensually send a quality image to this bloke/bird I’m seeing’ I would, why wouldn’t you? It’s hard to make an interesting nude yourself- difficult to get the angles. Old Boiley might have been the same as I would be in that situation- innocently helping a pal out for a laugh, with no idea what the nudes would actually be used for. She might not have known Iain would be sending the same pics to multiple vulnerable women willy nilly (again, for the sake of clarity I am not saying she was involved, just that there were suggestions of her being so).
No, I wouldn't help a friend take nude pics. Especially as the unsolicited pics I've received in the past from randoms have always been overtly sexual. I think that would be weird imo.

Some people on twitter said the pics weren't consensual so yes, I do question why she is still friends with him after this. Even if some pics were consensual, he messed about some vulnerable people. He knew full well what he was doing.

• Heart

wordzalad

VIP Member
That he sent dick pics and still gets defended is especially baffling to me, especially in this current post #MeToo climate.

Even in this thread people rush to defend the man's honour. Sorry, I just don't get it.
Anyone who sends unsolicited nudes is a creep. It’s so out of line. The most attractive, coolest person in the world could do it and it would still be creepy

• Heart

puckpuck

Unpopular opinion but I think that Iain is unbelievably patient with Kaff. She has been getting half his salary and does absolutely nothing! Doesn’t advertise the show, is unable to hold a conversation with the callers, is completely humourless, can’t present on her own, does none of the technicals. I’m not surprised he appears irritated with her sometimes.

• Heart
I’ve not been a great follower either- I knew of him through an ex who listened and then the show came into my head randomly so I looked them up and found this thread and from what I’ve heard I’m in the same boat as you.

The whole thing just confuses me as to how he’s still known/getting work- maybe people like the controversy or something
That he sent dick pics and still gets defended is especially baffling to me, especially in this current post #MeToo climate.

Even in this thread people rush to defend the man's honour. Sorry, I just don't get it.

• Heart
A creator I support on Patreon mentioned a while back that Iain Lee had reached out to him before he started his own one, asking for advice.

The creator is an ex comic who since quitting stand up focuses on his Patreon. He puts a post out ever day and has done since he started three years ago. Posts are varied and include at least two podcasts a week, behind the scene stuff from his film etc. His advice to Iain was to be consistent and make sure people feel they are getting value for money.

From reading the comments here, it seems like Lee didn't follow the advice and was expecting people to keep paying for not a lot of content.

• Heart

wordzalad

VIP Member
Had a scroll through the tweets. Of course it’s a horrible situation to be in but don’t swear at call centre staff, they work shitty hours for not great money and they’re only human. Guarantee he’s in a better financial state than the person he was effing and jeffing at.

Celebrities regardless of how famous they are should not be crowd funding bill paying…crowd funding is for projects… there has to be a reason he’s not getting another gig surely?

• Heart

puckpuck

Would you describe her as even a middling presenter?
Out of all the problems with the show: the fans, grifting, poor work ethic etc etc,
Kaths presenting is, in my opinion, the number 1 problem.
Her own stories and jokes are so dull. Her interactions with the callers are either patronising, awkward or snarky. Her “feistyness” is so cringe. Her fake northern salt of the earth persona is pathetic. She is completely bored….

• Heart
I've never followed Iain's career closely but from what I have heard of his behaviour on and off air, I am gobsmacked beyond words that he has even one fan, let alone more than that. How he was able to keep going on more mainstream platforms for as long as he did before eventually getting sacked just leaves me totally boggled???

I am sympathetic to anyone struggling but everything tells me Iain is an extremely toxic person who could even be a bit dangerous.

What am I missing that has so many people speaking out in support on Twitter no matter what he does?

• Heart

i_hate_nonsense

Guys, be kind. Iain is a SEX ADDICT, ok? He COULDN’T HELP sending pictures of his beef whistle to vulnerable women.

• Sick
Reactions: 7