Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

cee-bee

VIP Member
Having a private life where you may be coming to terms with your sexuality is not incompatible with being a journalist in my opinion

He is not flaunting his family life in some fly on the wall tv show or all over IG as some do (looking at Schofe here) whatever agreement he had with his wife was not incompatible with reading the news
having a private life isn’t incompatible with being a journalist.

having a private life that is at odds with a public image being portrayed, I think, becomes very much at odds with being a journalist. Especially a highly paid and well respected one.

and that’s disregarding the allegations of inappropriate behaviour at work etc.
---
whatever agreement he had with his wife was not incompatible with reading the news
That’s what I keep stressing. News readers don’t just “read the news”.

the news isn’t some light hearted flimsy entertainment. It’s integral to an open and fair democracy. Indeed, Huw himself has done substantial reporting on elections.

i find it baffling that people can be so dismissive of this reality. He isn’t a run of the mill TV presenter, he’s a journalist. It’s an entirely different kettle of fish, and carries much more responsibility.

Reactions: 8

Tofino

VIP Member
The whole “bringing into disrepute” argument seems flimsy. It was the Sun who brought them into disrepute. If that story turns out to be defamatory and false, could the BBC claim Huw brought the BBC into disrepute?

If for example Huw had either a consensual relationship with another adult or he went on an app and bought legal photos, is having your privacy taken away and be made into tabloid fodder legitimate grounds for bringing your employer into disrepute?

Paging Harbottle & Lewis for advise, please.
If an allegation by a newspaper is proven completely false then no, I don’t think BBC would have a leg to stand on in sacking Huw.

But even if the buying of photos is legal and consensual, it’s probably subjective whether it’s morally acceptable behaviour when you are a married, highly paid tv presenter. You don’t have to do something criminal before you lose your job.

If a female bbc newsreader was found to be selling photos would that be seen as bringing the bbc reputation into disrepute? I actually don’t know but I think the reaction to women gaining financially from selling photos is usually worse than men gaining sexually from buying them. But either way it’s subjective.

However, whatever the outcome of the original sun story, it seems that other people have come forward about Huw’s behaviour towards them and I think even if the original story was false, it wouldn’t mitigate for any poor behaviours that turn out to be true.

And I know a few years have passed since lockdown and it came with much debate, but I think the bbc would have good grounds for dismissing Huw for breaking lockdown rules. That does ruin their reputation when their own newsreader can’t behave within the laws they are reporting on, no matter what anyone thinks of the law.

cee-bee

VIP Member
Thanks for your awesome analysis, @cee-bee. Whichever way this will pan out, it seems inevitable that Huw’s BBC days are over.
I think it’s inevitable right now. An immediate denial of all allegations would’ve said a lot I think. Even an insistence that he didn’t break lockdown. But he hasn’t issued a denial of anything.

I feel disappointed in Huw because he was such a respected news reporter. Not only that, but I like the BBC and the ethos behind it. I can’t help but feel he’s let down the general public AND his colleagues.

He could’ve taken retirement and enjoyed his legacy. God knows the BBC offered it to him. He was quick to boast on Twitter about not letting go of his role.

He could’ve had the freedom to behave however he liked (reasonably lol). His private sex life would’ve been entirely private. He would’ve broken lockdown as an individual, not as a representative of the BBC and a trusted reporter. But I get the sense Huw wanted to have his cake and eat it.

• Sad

ItsDatCuw

VIP Member
He went on a massive health kick and lost loads of weight. More recently he’d started to look really bloated in the face and I wondered if it was drink or perhaps medication related.
You’re right actually. Just had a look at more recent pics. Medication maybe?

These are recent ones from April. Wonder if he’s admiring his bum pic 😅

661C0251-4E01-49DE-9977-74F21D003E1E.jpeg
B012D99E-C9C5-4E0A-8B08-A42A62615EBF.jpeg

• Haha

LadyMuck

VIP Member
I would respect him more if he took responsibility and addressed the situation even via via other persons such as his wife or lawyer.

This total silence seems to me like he's hoping it's all going to go away. Which it's not

VielleFemme

Honestly, I reckon a CCB or IAC stint would really help his image. I know it could go badly but he seems basically a nice guy and it would be good to hear his side of the story.
I think he seems like an arrogant predatory egomaniac who thought he was above everyone and untouchable.

Unfortunately for him, he's run up against one of the most arrogant, untouchable organisations in the world.

cee-bee

VIP Member
It sounds like there are certainly a lot of (unresolved?) grievances that Huw had with BBC management. There's that "Fortunately, Fi and Jane" podcast which is basically one big bitchfest. I am surprised how uninhibited he was in that episode. Not what the general public would expect of him, I think. It sounds like the paycut is still a sore point.

But honestly, I'm so curious where he is at emotionally and psychologically right now. Is he heavily medicated and not in any state to think about his future? Is he scheming? Is he working on a career move? Is he planning any legal action?

Don’t quote me on this… but I recall BBC Management wanting to get rid of a lot of dead wood a few years or so ago. They got rid or tried to get rid of, a few big BBC names to make room for new talent. I have a vague memory of HEs airing his discontent and insisting he wouldn’t resign or be pushed to resign.

And then he had a huge gripe when his pay was cut. BBC cut salaries of a few to paid presenters after a BBC employee left her position in protest at pay inequality at the BBC. Jeremy vine had his salary cut but was gracious about it and happy to do it to generate more equality in the organisation. Huw was not so gracious, to the point he was having news stories written about him telling him to stop whinging

To be honest, I thought his cageyness with pay was a bit out of order. “It’s private” doesn’t cut it as an argument when you work in a quasi-public sector service. Government and charity bodies do the same thing. It’s part of accountability and transparency when the general public fund you.

I’m getting the impression that Huw feels very entitled to a wholly private life, but maybe his expectations are unreasonable given his public profile and job. There seems to be a real entitlement emanating from Huw, upon reflection, about a few things.

Dr.CM

Chatty Member
I wonder if Huw was close to ex-BBC boss Mark Thompson who’s just become the new CNN boss. Could be a nice gig in it for Huw if he played his cards right.

CNN needs ratings. Wouldn’t the US audience just eat him up (dude who announced the Queen’s death!! That’s equivalent to Downton Abbey chique) or is Huw’s journalistic credibility too shot?
I'm not too sure about the americans but I hear tell they can be wayyyy more uptight and conservative with a small c than the brits (with the exception of a few states that are more known for being far out anything goes) - after all, we're talking about people who have only recently voted to ban abortion in several states. I think after the whole 'me too' movement shook up the entertainments, movie and modelling industries, they're probably keen to steer clear of anyone who already comes with unsavoury baggage. That's just my suspicion.

I should get paid for giving good careers advice but the best thing HE could do is lie low, retire out of the public arena, and write a memoir or two. Childhood going into young adulthood autobiography followed by a reflection on his career plus anecdotes and inside stories of interesting people then a slightly wistful reflective review of his BBC career with a tinge of regret and a bit confessional. Three books right there that the public would lap up. And he can read them in his own voice for audible. Then sell the movie rights. Job done.
---
HE could do reality TV - CBB and the Jungle etc. As long as he hasn't committed any crimes. That's doable and realistic.

• Heart

LadyMuck

VIP Member
Huw when caught - claim mental health issues
Schofield when caught - claims mental health issues
Tory MP when caught out - claims mental health issues

Ennui

VIP Member
Ironic as it was a lack of threads got him into this mess in the first place.

• Haha

Gym&Tonic

VIP Member
It’s what usually happens when someone is exposed. More victims feel empowered to come forward. I’m still quite shocked no one else who was groomed by Philth has come forward. I can’t believe MM was the only one.