Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

thegossboss92

Ya know, that just cements my belief the Sun are scum. The reason this story got traction is because they essentially accused him of being a nonce. By all accounts it sounds like he’s actually gay, has come out to his wife who is supportive but was too scared to come out publicly.

The Sun trying to out him in the way they did sits incredibly uncomfortably with me, especially considering the young person st there heart of their story didn’t want the story to be told.
10000000% this. Even if he were to sue the Sun and “clear“ his name over those (presumably) false allegations, they totally stick. He’s being called a p**o everyday on Twitter. Try living with that.

Reactions: 9

Dr.CM

Chatty Member
Where would such a motion be filed? Would this be a complaint to a Human Rights court or HE suing whomever took these pictures? Would a mere mortal be able to find the complaint?
No, unlikely. Nothing will have been filed anywhere (yet).

Most likely scenario is some people definitely know where HE is -or- a random on the street spotted him. Either way, someone's taken photos of him walking out of the grounds of his treatment centre or hospital (could be anywhere in the world by the way). Whoever has the photos has approached the mainstream media sites - the Sun the Daily Mail etc, trying to sell the photos. As the mainstream media can no longer afford to mess around they would have needed to see proof before they put an offer in. They know full well that they cannot publish a photo of HE coming out of a medical building (it's the one area where even though standing on a public street, it would comprise harassment and breach of privacy).

Since its *big news* and the newspaper would definitely want to buy and publish those images, they would first contact his PR company or lawyers for comment - in terms of 'we have photos of your client on a public footpath in Roehampton, can you confirm that he has now finished treatment and is no longer under medical care and would he like to give comment on this story?' Solicitor would rightly point out, 'actually that is our client walking on the footpath immediately adjacent the priory treatment centre where he is receiving treatment and is still under doctors orders, if you publish these images you will be in breach of x, y, z legislation and we will not hesitate to take legal action'. Then the newspaper may still buy the images from the photographer -or- may decline to purchase them but they definitely won't use them.

Problem for HE and his solicitors with this scenario is - the photographer can tell anyone he likes, in terms of verbal gossip, he can even show the photos to others as long as he doesn't publish to the public. So, he knows where HE is. His friends and contacts know. The newspapers staff and any photo agencies he approached also know.

It will be a matter of minutes before there's stories leaked IMO.

• Wow

Gym&Tonic

VIP Member
To be fair to him, he has a fine bum…not only for his age but for any age really 👀🤣
It’s remarkably peachy and pert for a man in his sixties. Unless he superimposed someone else’s buttocks onto his photo but I can’t see that. Schofield’s on the other hand is down by his ankles somehwere.

• Haha
  • Sick

WelshMam

He might be furious but he’s brought this on himself entirely as well as putting his family through his seedy private life choices. He cannot be taken seriously as a news anchor now so is the right move by the BBC to say he’s got to go.

cee-bee

VIP Member
Exactly. For an obviously intelligent man, it’s nuts. It’s almost like it was self-sabotage in a way, because it was inevitable that it would be leaked one way or another. Someone suggested that it might have been arrogance but surely he’d still have had some awareness of what could happen? And showing his face and arse in the same pic and then (allegedly) sitting in his underwear on a video chat..I mean really??
It’s not really nuts at all. And when you actually think about it, it was perfectly logical for Huw to assume he was untouchable. Because so many men have done far worse and been untouchable. Huw had every reasonable ground to believe he’d be fine, and his private life would remain private.

It was entitlement and arrogance. Many, many white men of the establishment have been protected by the establishment. And no one really gets more classic establishment than Huw Edwards: solidly upper middle class, a degree from a Russell group Uni and a PHD… white and male. He is the generic prototype of authority in the U.K.: a slightly older, white man in a suit.

it wasn’t self sabotage, because he never thought he’d be outted or that those photos would ever be released to the public. He enjoys a lot of goodwill and favour among BBC colleagues (look at how many jumped to his defence before knowing any real details), and among the British public.

he is a powerhouse in the world of journalism. He leads the number one news slot, on the most favoured and generally well regarded news channel in the U.K. and in the world.

he thought he was untouchable. That’s the only real explanation for this behaviour. And I’m not saying that as a personal attack on Huw himself. Because patriarchy kinda conditions men to become entitled. They know that no matter what they do, because of the patriarchal world we live in, they will always enjoy the benefit of the doubt.

Huw could be the kindest, sweetest man but when you’re constantly feted and awarded by your entire industry and are at the top of your game… you must surely realise that most of these people would rather believe you than an unknown. That they will rally around you (especially if you’re able to throw them a professional bone), rather than some unknown.

it’s possibly to be pleasant and nice and intelligent but also be a little bit entitled and arrogant. Arrogance isn’t always telling yourself you’re the best in the room. Sometimes it manifests a lot more quietly.
---
It makes you wonder because if everything that is claimed is true (the messaging, the payments, the photo, the meet-ups, etc), in what universe did he think that would remain private?
probably one of the most damaging logical reasonings though?

“it can’t be true because it’s so unbelievable”

I mean, he thought it would remain private because it largely did. For years. So… in this universe it remained private.

ItsDatCuw

VIP Member
Yeah, I think that article is a leetle bit over the top when it comes to describing Huw and Vicky’s situation:

His wife, Vicky Flind, who one could argue is one of the only people whose business her husband's alleged behaviour actually is, defended him vociferously.

"In one short and sharp but human and balanced statement, she underlined his struggles with mental health, reminded the world that it was no one's business, and demanded privacy for him and her family. It worked. Celebrities and colleagues jumped to his defence, setting Twitter ablaze with statements of support and solidarity.

"Had Flind not come to Edwards' defence in a calm, collected but precise way, Edwards' career would be in tatters. Hers was a crisis communications masterclass that defanged social media and The Sun, allowed the BBC to react in a balanced way and paved the way for others to come out and defend him.

1. she didn’t defend him at all, let alone ‘vociferously’.
2. I haven’t seen a lot friends and colleagues jumping to his defense either. Definitely Jon Sopel and maybe Piers Morgan saying he was a “stand up guy”. Who else? Nor was Twitter really ablaze with support, more with shock.
3. The “crisis communication masterclass” was probably by Andy Coulson but very kindly Vicky put her name to it. She did do Huw a solid there.
4. So far his career is in tatters and we’ll have to see if it can be untattered 😰
Spot on! A lot of people seem to have misunderstood her statement, thinking that she used “mental health” as an excuse for his behaviour and not recognizing that it was actually just an explanation for why he wasn’t making the statement himself at that time. I mean it might have planted that idea in people’s minds but she never actually said it or even referred to his alleged behaviour.

There were also a lot of people who actually said that she threw Huw under the bus by naming him, which is bizarre really. It was obviously very carefully planned damage control.

Twitter was definitely more ablaze with his arse than it was with support 😂

• Haha

L3moning

VIP Member
That's the quickest and easiest way out. Depending on his contract he might get a payout, but he might not as well.

Dr.CM

Chatty Member
wonder how HE’s treatment is going?
I would pay good money to be in his group therapy sessions!

I wonder how many times he's tried to run away and then remembered what the alternative is... halfway up the gravel driveway he remembers the tabloid press and turns back around in a state of despair

• Haha

Whiffy McBiffy

I'm 40 and I can't think of anything less interesting than texting with a 17-year-old (and I'm sure the reverse is just as true). Creepy old p-er-v. :sick:
I think this is how we can be almost certain that this wasn't Huwie Boy's first rodeo. It would be even weirder if it was, wouldn't it? A sixty year old wakes up one day, man loses his mind, and starts trying to boff boys young enough to be his grandson

• Sad

Gym&Tonic

VIP Member
Both Huw and Schofield are so obviously camp I don’t know why it came as such a shock that they weren‘t straight looking back 😂

thegossboss92

Wonder if he’s finished or if he intends to go elsewhere. Sky News maybe?
I feel like he'd need to do a Piers Morgan (i.e. move abroad) if he wants to still do serious journalism. He won't get a job in the UK doing that imho. Plus, he's literally now said that he can't work on medical advice so how can he work in a similar job for another network here?

Reactions: 8

cee-bee

VIP Member
Oof, the fact (if true) he broke lockdown to have sex with a stranger I find really unpalatable. Not the sex with a stranger part, but doing it during lockdown!! Just like I find Boris’ office parties absolutely unacceptable.
it’s also a little uncomfortable that he was in essence leading a double life. Ok so his wife knew… but it looks as if this was going on for years.

probably a lesser issue but I guess if you’re in a position of influence/responsibility - leading that double life could potentially open you up to blackmail? I feel as a public figure in that capacity… as a respected news reporter… you need to have integrity and to be reasonably open about your life?

It’s definitely a really tricky tightrope of what is OK and what isn’t.

I have a lot of sympathy for Huw but … he’s been living a lie on a couple of different levels.

his behaviour has been totally and utterly in contempt of the Canons of Journalism. A code of ethics Huw will be VERY aware of and has shown total disregard towards.

a sad end to an enviable career and for what? I can only presume his arrogance in his position made him feel like he could disregard those ethics. I’m so disappointed in him. I really hope the young man he was in contact with is ok.

ItsDatCuw

VIP Member
For anyone that is interested the lad and the parents are still estranged 😢 it’s sad they gained nothing only to ruin a man’s career.
Don’t come at me that HE bought it on himself he didn’t break the law. The parent’s should have kept it ‘in house’
If it was only a case of him breaking lockdown and sending ‘inappropriate texts’ (from what we’ve been told, he complimented someone’s dress, and added ‘xx’ to the end of some casual messages?), then I don’t think he would have been let go from the BBC at all. Disciplined maybe but not sacked. People will likely disagree but I can’t help but feel that there’s a lowkey sense of homophobia about all this, and that the “BBC inquiry” was just a formality to gloss over this fact. I also wouldn’t be surprised if Huw will eventually take legal action against the BBC.

stardust21

VIP Member
FTR The family have totally lost contact with the lad now!
Well I for one am shocked that selling a story on your child to the Sun, the Sun then manipulating it to call someone a weirdo, and then the parents not backing down or stopping it when they could would have done has made the Son not want to speak to them. This is a totally unexpected outcome… /S

This was the bit of the story I never understood. They said they were doing it for him, yet this was obviously going to majorly back fire.