Huw Edwards #14

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
To be fair to him, he has a fine bum…not only for his age but for any age really 👀🤣
It’s remarkably peachy and pert for a man in his sixties. Unless he superimposed someone else’s buttocks onto his photo but I can’t see that. Schofield’s on the other hand is down by his ankles somehwere.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 9
It’s remarkably peachy and pert for a man in his sixties. Unless he superimposed someone else’s buttocks onto his photo but I can’t see that. Schofield’s on the other hand is down by his ankles somehwere.
It is tbf, credit where it’s due 😂

Schofe’s poor bum is the saddest thing I’ve ever seen 😭

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I can’t see him going down the reality tv route
I don’t think he is like Paul Burrell where anything to be in the public eye is better than nothing

I think he might go into writing books or be on the radio instead

I said on the Schofield thread he’d be on the most shocking celebrity moments of the year list in December but I guess Huws appearance on that might be limited by whether he is out of treatment by that stage. Personally I don’t think we need or should get updates on how he is until he is finished with that and issues his own statement. Interesting there have been no leaks at all compared to Schofield who seems to have new stories/sightings every week
I think you are spot on about him doing radio work. Classic FM? I just can't see him doing reality TV, don't think it's his thing.

Reactions: 6
Note to Huw if he’s reading this: if Tattle of all places is defending your bum, all hope is not lost. 🍑👍🏻

• Haha
Reactions: 5
No one expects him back’: what now for the BBC’s Huw Edwards?

Suspended presenter remains silent over partly withdrawn claims he paid a young person for explicit images but still faces internal inquiry.

Last September, Huw Edwards sprinted out of a barbershop near his south London home after being summoned to the BBC’s headquarters so he could announce Queen Elizabeth’s death to the nation.

Now the BBC is weighing up whether it can ever reuse footage of Edwards’s historic royal broadcast, with the presenter still suspended in the wake of the Sun’s partly-retracted allegation that he paid a 17-year-old for explicit images.

It has been almost two months since the newspaper sparked both the fiercest and shortest BBC scandal in recent history. Within a week, it went from being a story that could topple the director general to one that was barely meriting a mention in the wider media.

Yet questions remain for the BBC, the Sun and the presenter himself – and it is unclear whether Edwards will ever be able to unwind the knotty mess of public, personal and workplace issues that have him left him off air.

One senior BBC journalist summarised the verdict of large parts of the newsroom when it comes to Edwards’s employment prospects: “No one expects him to come back.”

Some of Edwards’s closest colleagues say they have not heard from him in weeks. They say he is not responding to messages.

Though the police declined to investigate the Sun’s allegations, which were based on the testimony of concerned parents, Edwards still faces an internal workplace investigation that will consider whether he brought the broadcaster into disrepute.

Key individuals have yet to be updated on the progress of the BBC inquiry, which is described as still being at the “fact-finding” stage, suggesting there is no imminent conclusion in sight, with the presenter suspended and believed to be on his full £435,000-a-year pay.

One of the key issues that fanned the flames of the original story was the vague language used by the Sun in its original reporting – which the newspaper argues was an attempt to protect Edwards’s privacy.

The tabloid used gender-neutral terms such as “child” and “young person” to describe the person alleged to have been paid tens of thousands of pounds by Edwards in return for explicit pictures.

This – along with the mention of the individual being 17 when communication began – gave the impression that Edwards may have committed a criminal offence.

Dame Elan Closs Stephens, the BBC’s interim chair, subsequently told a parliamentary committee that the individual alleged to have received the money from Edwards was a “young man”.

The decision by the top BBC board member to state the gender of the 20-year-old at the heart of the allegations was largely overlooked at the time of the hearing.

But in response, Victoria Newton, the editor of the Sun, told the same committee that Closs Stephens had revealed more details about the young person than her newspaper. She said: “At no point have we identified the gender of the young person, which the BBC has done on more than one occasion.”

Yet it is subsequent allegations against Edwards – including complaints about the presenter’s social media messaging habits – which could ultimately cause him more headaches than the original disputed Sun story.

Gossip about Edwards’s habit of sending messages to younger members of staff in the BBC newsroom and on Instagram had been circulating for several years. Some of those who received them believed he was not aware of how some of the messages were being perceived and the power dynamics involved, considering him to be naive rather than acting improperly.

Others were less forgiving; some of messages were said to have left junior staff convinced they had done something wrong.

BBC News’s own reporting suggested Edwards had messaged three young BBC employees, including one who is still at the organisation, with messages that made them feel uncomfortable.

Edwards also lacks a natural support base in the newsroom, having not always endeared himself to fellow BBC staff and management.

As one former colleague put it: “He thought he was on top of anything, he thought nothing of going straight to the director general and banging on the door. He was the colossus of the newsroom, he thought he had impunity.”

The presenter had a strong sense of his own value, especially after having to take a pay cut in the wake of the BBC’s gender pay scandal. His widely praised handling of the announcement of the Queen’s death landed in the middle of protracted negotiations over a new BBC contract, with Edwards publicly flirting with leaving the corporation for a private sector job.

In an incredible coincidence, he was photographed by a paparazzo who happened to be watching the back entrance of Global – parent company of the radio stations LBC and Capital – last September.

Sources at ITV said he was also briefly considered as a potential replacement for Piers Morgan as host of Good Morning Britain.

“Huw insisted he would need to keep doing his BBC royal coverage,” said one individual with knowledge of the talks, suggesting Edwards had a misplaced idea of how feasible it would be to straddle both major broadcasters.

In the end, Edwards signed a new BBC deal – only months before being suspended when the Sun approached the corporation for comment about the then-unnamed presenter.

Edwards was eventually identified publicly by his wife, Vicky Flind, who said he had been seeking help for mental health issues. Her statement, drafted with assistance from the former News of the World editor Andy Coulson, prompted a swell of public support for Edwards and shut down coverage of the issue.

Flind said her husband, who often seemed to relish public fights, intended “to respond to the stories that have been published” once he felt better.

What’s unclear is whether Edwards still intends to fulfil this pledge and tries to launch a fightback – or whether he is now considering leaving quietly.

---
The Guardian reads Tattle 🤭😎

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 7
I'm so angry he's still on full pay. I thought when someone goes off long term sick, they get downgraded to statutory sick pay? Anyway the BBC have got to keep their ducks in a row as they can't afford him to litigate on the grounds of unfair dismissal or anything (which he would frankly be insane to do but then he may actually be insane).

BBC have got themselves a serious problem if they feel unable to use footage featuring HE. In the long term, that will have devastating impact and also it even affects the recording of British historical events for the whole of future reference. Plus they earn money from selling their footage internationally. As I am very cynical, I suspect they will try to work around this and that factor will be the most important consideration to them - not him, he's over. I don't think the BBC would do an actual cover up if they've found anything incriminating so they're in a tricky situation.

What’s this about? Was he reprimanding junior staff through messages? 👀

DA252EB6-7991-4102-90B9-E12B55C79BC2.jpeg

Reactions: 2
Apparently the BBC were trying to locate him on the day of the late Queens death, for him to present a news special on the failing health of the late Queen. Huw was on his way to a barbers shop and was unaware as his mobile had been stolen the night before. HE son phoned the barber shop

Attachments

• Wow
What’s this about? Was he reprimanding junior staff through messages? 👀

View attachment 2420938
I think there was some type of talk that he was at the least very 'odd' and inappropriate in the way he texted / emailed colleagues. That whole line of discussion was then stopped when he went into medical treatment and the BBC said they're doing their own investigation. Expect to hear more of it when he resurfaces - unless the BBC want to keep it quiet themselves.

I think there was some type of talk that he was at the least very 'odd' and inappropriate in the way he texted / emailed colleagues. That whole line of discussion was then stopped when he went into medical treatment and the BBC said they're doing their own investigation. Expect to hear more of it when he resurfaces - unless the BBC want to keep it quiet themselves.
I understood that it was more overly friendly texts with “xx” and emojis added but not sure if we’d been told that the messages made the junior staff feel like they had “done something wrong”? Has that part come up before?
---
So Huw’s phone with all his private text messages was stolen last year?? 😱
My first thought too! I’ll bet that was a massive worry for him. There were likely a few very sensitive messages on there and maybe more peachy bum and even Biggus Dickus pics 👀

I wonder if he managed to get the haircut. It’s hard to tell.

1437A82D-B7C1-481A-9E07-28C46AD8EE91.jpeg

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 7
Looks like he didn’t have enough time to get the sharp fade back and sides done which works for me. Looks a bit more uhm, dare I say, fit for the somber occasion. 😅

I bet he was *pissed*. Most memorable moment of his career without his signature cut! 😩

• Haha
I understood that it was more overly friendly texts with “xx” and emojis added but not sure if we’d been told that the messages made the junior staff feel like they had “done something wrong”? Has that part come up before?
---
Yes that was being mentioned in mainstream media just before he disappeared and obv no-one can discuss now. There was one specific example where he told a female colleague her dress was nice or something that had made her feel uncomfortable which was maybe a bit of a reach IMO and there was stuff being hinted at about younger staff that was never fully described and then it all went silent.

I was expecting a Schofield or grooming type scenario where we'd find out he'd been chatting up or pressurising younger staff but if there has been something like that we don't know about it. I don't know any insider gossip, I supposed there's a lot, but we certainly haven't had that type of thing confirmed in the mainstream media.

Whoever stole his phone has the potential to become very rich...

HE sounds as if he has some deeply unpleasant character traits.

Looks like he didn’t have enough time to get the sharp fade back and sides done which works for me. Looks a bit more uhm, dare I say, fit for the somber occasion. 😅

I bet he was *pissed*. Most memorable moment of his career without his signature cut! 😩
Yes! I can imagine him moaning about it and refusing to watch it, waving his hands about in a very camp way 😂

• Haha

Imagine how pissed he’d have been if he hadn’t got the message and Clive had announced HMQ’s death instead of him?😂

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Yes that was being mentioned in mainstream media just before he disappeared and obv no-one can discuss now. There was one specific example where he told a female colleague her dress was nice or something that had made her feel uncomfortable which was maybe a bit of a reach IMO and there was stuff being hinted at about younger staff that was never fully described and then it all went silent.

I was expecting a Schofield or grooming type scenario where we'd find out he'd been chatting up or pressurising younger staff but if there has been something like that we don't know about it. I don't know any insider gossip, I supposed there's a lot, but we certainly haven't had that type of thing confirmed in the mainstream media.
That was my understanding as well. The only threatening behaviour alleged so far was towards people outside of the newsroom AFAIK.

I wonder if The Guardian have new information that they can’t explicitly report (yet), or if they’re just confusing separate incidents.

Reactions: 2
I wonder who would do it if something happened soon actually or any big news stories that Huw would get, election night etc

I think they’d draft in Sophie Raworth

Reactions: 1
Wonder if whoever stole his phone was the one who posted the bum pic

• Wow
Reactions: 6