Houseplants

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ooh yay for this thread. I started working in a garden centre recently and am in charge of the houseplants though I'm not that knowledgeable yet! I can't stop bringing things home. I seem to be collecting different begonias now! Here are my 2 latest children.
Fb keeps putting an ad for a pharoahs mask alocasia. They look amazing but I feel I might kill it...

Attachments

Reactions: 9
I have no idea why I get along so well with alocasia. I have all mine on a fabrikor with grow lights just now because it's cold. They love the bathroom for the rest of the year. I turn it into a jungle. Usually a light water once a week.
Thank you so much for your help! I’m going to treat myself to some grow lights and start taking care of my house plants more seriously, hopefully I can make them happier! 🤞

I moved home last month and finally have a bathroom with a window, so I’m really looking forward to keeping plants in there too!

Reactions: 1
Thank you so much for your help! I’m going to treat myself to some grow lights and start taking care of my house plants more seriously, hopefully I can make them happier! 🤞

I moved home last month and finally have a bathroom with a window, so I’m really looking forward to keeping plants in there too!
You can get grow lights on amazon for about £15 that have timers and just plug into USB.

I love my fabrikor cabinets. I've got 3 that I picked up from Facebook market place for between £40 and £60 each.

Reactions: 2
You can get grow lights on amazon for about £15 that have timers and just plug into USB.

I love my fabrikor cabinets. I've got 3 that I picked up from Facebook market place for between £40 and £60 each.
Thank you! ❤ I’ve been eyeing up the Fabrikor cabinets for a long time, but I don’t have a huge budget at the moment sadly but I’m watching one on eBay that’s nearby!

My 3 cost the same as one new one would cost and I didn't have to build them 😂😂😂😂😂 total winner. I love the orange and grey ones.

Do you have any tips for alocasia? I’ve had 3 and only one is surviving but only barely! It’s always around this time of year when they start to look sad.. is it the cold weather? Overwatering? I am a terrible plant parent 😭

Wow he looks amazing! I bought a cheese plant from Aldi maybe 3-4 years ago and it looks nothing like this.. yours puts mine to shame! How do you look after it and help it grow so big and healthy?
It is perfectly normal for alocasias to look sad or completely drop their leaves during the colder months, as they go into dormancy if temperatures drop too much for their liking. When that happens, just stop watering them during winter and they'll be back in spring.

Reactions: 3
Oh my gosh a houseplant thread 🌿❤

I love them, I have about 50. People always comment on how much money I must spend but most of them are propagated. I’m in a new build and I’ve been too scared to paint or put things into the walls so I’ve really leaned in to using plants as decor instead.

My favourites are Monty the monstera because he’s gotten SO BIG and my heart leaf philodendron because it’s about the only one that thrives in my lounge.

My house faces north, so all of the plants in my kitchen, bathroom and spare room are super happy but any in my lounge and bedroom where I spend most of my time 🙃) really struggle.

I use Planta to keep track and take pictures of them as they grow, it’s so fun to look back on and see how they’re doing.

Recommendations for low light friends welcome 🥰

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I have my own houseplant business in my local town and it kills when when I see everyone posting they got their plants from B&Q, Lidl etc. Pleaseeee try and support your local independent businesses! We try so hard to make sure our beautiful houseplants are taken care of before you buy them, I doubt these huge corporations do the same! They’re able to buy in huge bulk aswell which small businesses like mine cannot compete with which is so sad.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I have my own houseplant business in my local town and it kills when when I see everyone posting they got their plants from B&Q, Lidl etc. Pleaseeee try and support your local independent businesses! We try so hard to make sure our beautiful houseplants are taken care of before you buy them, I doubt these huge corporations do the same! They’re able to buy in huge bulk aswell which small businesses like mine cannot compete with which is so sad.
Fair enough but not everyone can afford the expensive plants from small businesses when they can get the exact same plant for a fraction of the price. Not sure about your shop but the ones around me will have plants for like 20 quid in comparison to a fiver in Lidl for the same plant. Why would I be paying more

Reactions: 5
We don't have any independent sellers near us.

I buy from the rescue shelf at Dobbies. There's been nothing decent for ages though

Ok, I've just googled grow lights......never knew you could use artificial light!
20230102_165159.jpg

I have these in my Fabrikor.

This is my dreamy plant. I had a moment of madness and bought her last year. She is very pampered but I won't relax until I grow a spare.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
We don't have any independent sellers near us.

I buy from the rescue shelf at Dobbies. There's been nothing decent for ages though

View attachment 1851870

I have these in my Fabrikor.

This is my dreamy plant. I had a moment of madness and bought her last year. She is very pampered but I won't relax until I grow a spare.
Fabrikor? Anyways this looks amazing! Does it give off heat also? Micro climate? Honestly, im feeling excited. Fed up being limited to certain plants due to climate in the home.

I completely agree with this! I know I said I’ve got some plants from B&Q but the majority of mine are actually from small businesses I’ve found on things like Etsy, and there’s a local independent plant shop near me that I’ve also got a couple of plants from.
I really admire small businesses when it comes to plants because you really can see the care they’ve put into their plants. 100% small businesses over huge cooperations! 🌱💗

Reactions: 3
Fabrikor? Anyways this looks amazing! Does it give off heat also? Micro climate? Honestly, im feeling excited. Fed up being limited to certain plants due to climate in the home.
Fabrikor is an ikea cabinet but there are a few others you can try. You can pick up fairly cheap on marketplace etc.

No heat but you can increase the humidity. Mine is around 80%. You can add a heater but mine stays a constant 18 degrees in the house.

Fabrikor is an ikea cabinet but there are a few others you can try. You can pick up fairly cheap on marketplace etc.

No heat but you can increase the humidity. Mine is around 80%. You can add a heater but mine stays a constant 18 degrees in the house.
Wow! Thank you 🙂

20230104_150132.jpg

This is one of my Fabrikor cabinets. It has my Variegated Frydek which I'm hoping is a bit of an investment plant and lots of my alocasia babies. I have Regal Shield, Black velvet, red secret, zebrina, maharani, amazonica, azlanii and frydek growing in there. Also I have a thing about naked body planters 😂😂

• Wow
Reactions: 8
Fair enough but not everyone can afford the expensive plants from small businesses when they can get the exact same plant for a fraction of the price. Not sure about your shop but the ones around me will have plants for like 20 quid in comparison to a fiver in Lidl for the same plant. Why would I be paying more
Yeah I completely get that and agree to a certain extent but what I will say is the plants we order are from a local nursery and will have been cared for so much better therefore last longer, buy cheap buy twice!